Ice Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejespady35

Good Day WW folks!!
Our group is thinking about adding a Ice machine to our house boat... so we are looking for some feed back from other users
Do you have Ice machine?
Does it work good?
What brand/model is it? Commercial or standard?

Any other recommendations/comments.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

We added a freezer, that primarily runs from solar with an inverter, using lake water for the ice as we primarily use it to chill beverages. We buy 1-2,bags of crushed to out in drinks during the week. Too complicated to also add a water source for making drink ice.

We have a standard U-Line RV/Marine ice maker on board - they make two sizes with the primary difference being one holds 12 lbs of ice in storage (BI-95) and the other 25 lbs and is 2" wider (BI-98). I have the smaller one, and I installed the larger one last year on a friends houseboat. Buying from an RV store, not a marine store will save you a few hundred $$ for the same unit and don't buy the stainless steel unit as it's likely not needed for a LP houseboat.

We couldn't live without it in the summer, BUT, not joking, it uses over 50% of the overall amperage required for our entire boat in the summer (a large cruiser, not a HB) as it's always making ice as we are always using ice when more than 2 of us are onboard!

If you have a good inverter system with lots of amperage available, and you run your genset for air conditioning already a few hours a day, it probably doesn't change much for you. But if you don't usually run your genset except to charge house batteries, now you'll need to charge your inverter batteries longer, which may require running the genset longer. (and you may need a bigger inverter battery bank for between charges).

If you currently don't run your air conditioning, and you don't have an inverter, adding the ice maker will require nearly 24/7 genset time - it's unlikely you have this setup, but just saying....... that would be some expensive ice!

There are some 'tricks' I've learned over the years to maximize ice making while minimizing having to run the genset to charge batteries, but I won't go there now as it may be overkill for the question.

I couldn't imagine NOT having an ice maker on our boat (although I boated LP for years without one.....when I was younger and don't recall missing not having ice! But back then we also ate soup for dinner out of the can, and pooped in a 5 gl bucket, so I guess life on the lake has improved more than I thought!).

Last edited:
We have a standard U-Line RV/Marine ice maker on board - they make two sizes with the primary difference being one holds 12 lbs of ice in storage (BI-95) and the other 25 lbs and is 2" wider (BI-98). I have the smaller one, and I installed the larger one last year on a friends houseboat. Buying from an RV store, not a marine store will save you a few hundred $$ for the same unit and don't buy the stainless steel unit as it's likely not needed for a LP houseboat.

We couldn't live without it in the summer, BUT, not joking, it uses over 50% of the overall amperage required for our entire boat in the summer (a large cruiser, not a HB) as it's always making ice as we are always using ice when more than 2 of us are onboard!

If you have a good inverter system with lots of amperage available, and you run your genset for air conditioning already a few hours a day, it probably doesn't change much for you. But if you don't usually run your genset except to charge house batteries, now you'll need to charge your inverter batteries longer, which may require running the genset longer. (and you may need a bigger inverter battery bank for between charges).

If you currently don't run your air conditioning, and you don't have an inverter, adding the ice maker will require nearly 24/7 genset time - it's unlikely you have this setup, but just saying....... that would be some expensive ice!

There are some 'tricks' I've learned over the years to maximize ice making while minimizing having to run the genset to charge batteries, but I won't go there now as it may be overkill for the question.

I couldn't imagine NOT having an ice maker on our boat (although I boated LP for years without one.....when I was younger and don't recall missing not having ice! But back then we also ate soup for dinner out of the can, and pooped in a 5 gl bucket, so I guess life on the lake has improved more than I thought!).
Pagasus, You said that you installed the larger model on a friends house boat last year. How did he like it?

Pagasus, You said that you installed the larger model on a friends house boat last year. How did he like it?
It worked well. It stores a legitimate 25 lbs in the storage bin, and can refill the entire bin overnight. (we would empty it at night and put the ice into the freezer so it would make a full bin overnight) The only slight negative was that the unit does not have a close latch lock, it just closes by pushing the door closed, like a regular refrigerator. If the door was slammed shut, it would bounce open an inch or so causing the ice inside to melt or to make ice slower wasting energy. Not a huge problem and only happened a few times, assuming by the kids using that didn't notice it bounced open.

BTW-it was installed in the 2nd deck bar, not inside the cabin, but covered by a bridge bimini.

It worked well. It stores a legitimate 25 lbs in the storage bin, and can refill the entire bin overnight. (we would empty it at night and put the ice into the freezer so it would make a full bin overnight) The only slight negative was that the unit does not have a close latch lock, it just closes by pushing the door closed, like a regular refrigerator. If the door was slammed shut, it would bounce open an inch or so causing the ice inside to melt or to make ice slower wasting energy. Not a huge problem and only happened a few times, assuming by the kids using that didn't notice it bounced open.

BTW-it was installed in the 2nd deck bar, not inside the cabin, but covered by a bridge bimini.
Thanks for the Info !!

we had a commercial grade barrel ice maker year ago on the boat. many problems including jumping in fear every time it dumped the tray, sounded like a machine gun. our water filtration ran 24-7 as did the 20 gallon-minute water pump. it made 400 pounds a day but we only made a few cocktails. we removed it and put a freezer in and now just load it with walmart ice bags. quite and cheap. i would not do it. and try not to buy marina ice, but be happy they have it when needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back