Ice Cream Canyon and Lone Rock Canyon from kayak overnight - Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman G

Guys,

First week in April I will be at lake powell for 1 or two nights and the plan is to rent a kayak and do a typical overnight on Lake Powell. The most popular overnight or two night camping trips by canoe/kayak are Lone Rock and Ice Cream Canyon.

How is the fishing at Lone Rock and Ice Cream canyon typically? Am I better off going elsewhere? I will be renting a kayak/canoe from Page, and paddle most likely from Wahweep. Any other recommended overnight trips without renting a shuttle to tow my canoe up the lake. I wasn't able to find anything on Ice Cream Canyon.

Will bring a spinning rod and a fly rod and I'm limited what I can bring on the plane.

Question is do Lone Rock and Ice Cream have options for fishing/do they generally hold any decent number of fish? bass, panfish, etc. Ideally id love to spend time fly fishing walkin the shore near my campsite. This will be my first time on Lake Powell (last year I did Colorado float trip Dam to Lees Ferry)

Thanks for any help

Roman

I would launch from Lone Rock Beach and fish around Lone Rock. There are a few little beaches in Lone Rock Canyon where you can camp. You could also camp right on Lone Rock Beach if you want. In that area I've caught stripers, walleye, crappie, catfish, small and large mouth bass.

Never tried a fly rod but others on this board have

Last edited by a moderator:
I found Ice Cream Canyon to hold a lot of stripers, largemouth and smallmouth in 2016. It is the closest option to Wahweap and should have hungry fish first week of April. Watch my March fish reports to see what the early spring in 2017 brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back