I wonder if this works here for 'eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Lindy Rig is simply a refinement of the split shot or Carolina rig. It works on the same principle. It absolutely would work on Lake Powell with either soft plastic artificial lures or live nightcrawler. It would certainly catch walleyes at Powell, but it would catch a heck of a lot more smallmouth. It would also catch largemouth, catfish and even stripers. In fact, it would catch just about any gamefish that swims in Powell.

One thing you can do if the wind is too much to hold the boat with a trolling motor is to cast out a rig like this and let the wind push the boat over gravel or chunk rock points dragging your bait behind you. This is a very effective presentation. Give it a try. :)

Ed Gerdemann

I’ve never tried the Lindy Rig, but I am planning on it during my spring fishing trip. I know of a few spots that hold walleye, so hopefully we can land a few and report on our success or not! Happy fishing!

Lindy Rigs work great. I’m originally from the Midwest and caught tons of walleye using Lindy Rigs. But the bottom conditions (just like in the video) were much more sand and gravel and even in weedy areas. At Powell, we‘ve found walleyes more frequently in rock debris - which will eat up a Lindy Rig pretty quickly.

While the video suggests long casting, we’ve worked jig style, and Lindy Rig style baits directly beneath the boat in 15 to 20 feet and had no issues with scattering fish - that said our big motor wasn’t running, which would likely scatter them. Also fishing these types of rigs more “yo-yo” style allows somewhat better bottom contact without as many hang ups.

My 2 cents.

Three way swivel rigs should also be productive. From a 3 way swivel that is tied to main line, 18 inches to 3 feet down is the sinker(1 ounce). To the other swivel tie a three foot fluorocarbon leader. On this leader you can use live baits, spoons, soft baits, crank baits(floating), spinners any favorite bait. Drift slowly over gravel bars or humps. Not for fast trolling.
Works for several species depending on the bait you chose. These method gets crank baits deeper than they can normally get. If you use a lighter test line from the swivel to the weight, than the main line and the line to the bait you only lose the weight if you get hung up.

Duckeye,
You are correct. We used to call that a Wolf River Rig. Very effective for walleye. Works well drifting. Use a weight that just gets you to the bottom and keeps the line at 45 degrees.

Had a friend tell me he used to catch 'eyes following the old channel from Stateline to Lone Rock I tried it last year and didn't catch anything.

I’ve tried the 3 way setup at Powell and it was too snaggy for me. Bottom bouncers are much better in the rocks up north. I suppose the 3 way would be good when the fish are on the sandstone points and soft bottom. I also started running straight braid to the bouncer and never break off anymore. Solved the mussel bite problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back