How High Will It Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFRCalifornia

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
USBR just issued an update to its lake level projections for the year, and there's no real surprises. As of February 18, they project that the lake will most likely bottom out just above 3600 toward the end of March, and then rise to about 3617, peaking sometime in June. Lake volume at that time would be about 13.5 MAF, or about 55% full. Total lake inflows for this water year are projected to be 80% of average, or a total inflow of about 8.6 MAF, with historic inflow average being about 10.8. Last year total inflow was about 13 MAF. So they see this year as not nearly as good as last year. Of course, they admit there is great uncertainty in these projections, because much depends on the runoff ahead. As you all remember, they were basically saying the same things at this time last year, and then we had that incredible late season deluge that changed everything...

Their "maximum" scenario (which was developed in January) would have total inflows being about 12.8 MAF, or similar to last year. In that case the lake would end up in the neighborhood of 3650--much higher than was possible last year, since the bottom this year will be closer to 3600, compared to about 3568 last year... On the other hand, the "minimum" scenario sees only a 6.4 MAF inflow, in which case the lake ends up somewhere south of 3610... but given the current snowpack levels above the lake, which is a little above average, I tend to think the "minimum" scenario is unlikely at this point...

They update their projections each month, but they won't update their "max" and "min" projections until April, and then again every three months..

Here's a link to all this info:

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
i am staying tuned, but am also missing those snow storm reports! i sure hope this pattern changes back soon. CA is surely lacking even more recently.

so glad to see today some signs of moisture in CA and AZ. not sure what is actually hitting the ground. sometimes radars can be deceiving... we need more people in the south to fan those clouds north to CO. :)

i am staying tuned, but am also missing those snow storm reports! i sure hope this pattern changes back soon. CA is surely lacking even more recently.

so glad to see today some signs of moisture in CA and AZ. not sure what is actually hitting the ground. sometimes radars can be deceiving... we need more people in the south to fan those clouds north to CO. :)
Well here I am on the central coast of CA near San Luis Obispo, and since Jan 1 has barely rained at all... just this morning I heard a little sprinkle, but it’s been a terrible first 2 months of 2020... I was in the Sierra skiing at Mammoth a week ago, and they’ve only had about a foot of new snow since January 1... they had a really good December, but not much since...

Of course, none of that really affects Powell directly, but when CA is dry, that indirectly effects the water supply narrative in the West...

Been raining in PHX since early this morning and hoping it moves northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back