How Did You Come Across Lake Powell in the First Place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my best friend ,s birthday is in February, up north in Huntsville in feb it,s below zero hard water fishing at it,s best , we wanted a change, anglers inn open'd a store in riverdale a guy named web adams told us about hite marina and how to catch bass large-mouth and striped maybe crappie too . in the winter, unheard of for us so we took a 16 ft canoe 1.5 hp motor , camped at hite fished north wash ,dirty devil , up the river above the bridge, we were hooked for the next 16 years , we moved to farley canyon when the water drop ed . some years were good others were fantastic some beyond belief ,that was 1983, children, work ,life , kept me home in the early 2000,s 2017 i retired from udot no more on call 24 7s , now i come as often as i can at least once a month winter summer , i like to fish out of my kayak . it is the most bueatful place in the world i consider my self lucky to have found it.

I have to agree with many previous posts. I love this thread. When "last wild human" mentioned Web Adams and the Anglers Inn in Ogden, I had to reply ! And yes like many I could fill a book. Web and I met in 1976 when we worked at the original Anglers Inn store in Sugarhouse and the rest as they say is History !! Web and I opened the Anglers Inn store in Sandy UT, In 1978 Shortly after Web opened the Ogden Anglers Inn. I taught Web most everything he knows about fishing ( Not really well, maybe, I had to throw that in because I am sure he will catch this and Work me over, he is a stealth "word ling". He trolls this site (always fishing LOL) We are still very close. I can't wait for him to catch this.)

My first trip to Lake Powell was in 1973. A buddy of mine and his parents set up a houseboat trip out of Bullfrog for Him and his two buddies, which I was lucky enough to be one of his buddies. On the drive down buddy #2 was struck with what we found out later was an appendicitis attack. His parents immediately turned around and took him back to SLC for medical care. That left Mike and I alone with the houseboat and a fishing skiff for two days. We were not allowed to operate the Houseboat, but good to go on the skiff. We were fishing addicts and had recently talked with Bass Pros at a Wolfes Sporting goods promotion they had held at the Downtown SLC store. They had a cooler full of huge LMB they had recently caught at Powell and raved that it was one of the TOP bass fisheries in the country, There is not enough space to even cover that trip, suffice it to say it was incredible to say the least, and the fishing was really fantastically awesome as well. Largemouth and Huge Crappie on virtually every cast. We also fished under the lights at the marina off the Houseboat and caught fish until we dropped from exhaustion. His parents when they returned allowed us to head out with The Houseboat to Lake Canyon. Trees still sticking out of the water with fish all over them !! They thought we were the best anglers in the world ( so did we) It was more how great the Lake was but that did not stop us. I WAS HOOKED PUN INTENDED. Since then I do not think I have missed a year and most years have had multiple trips per year to the Lake. My best friend who I met at AI, purchased a surplus Houseboat in 1982 at Wahweap, he motored up and put it on Buoy field at the HITE Marina..
It was there until the demise of Hite. I was fortunate to have been on many trips on the "gitzit' in the past out of Hite, our favorite part of the Lake and still going on more trips every year. That boat (Gitzit) is still in operation out of Halls Crossing. I still fish often with Web and have been close friends with him over all these years. I have so many great memories of the Lake it has been a huge part of my life!! I have driven the long dirt road and launched and camped in the back arm of the San Juan, as well as Blue Notch and Farley. Explored and fished camped and House boated from Wahweap, to the days we travelled above the bridges at Hite. I think I have made a visit to and or fished almost every canyon the length of this great Lake and yet there is still so much to explore and of COURSE to FISH. Through my contacts and customers at AI over all the years (25 at AI) I was able to experience many more stories and tales of this great lake.
Thanks for starting this post. On a cold winter day it has brought back many warm memories !!! I am sure they will be many more to come, at one of my favorite places on this earth!!
Mildog Out

These stories are awesome! I love reading them and seeing this magical place we all love and the memories it creates! I’m lucky I didn’t happen upon lake Powell; I was born into it. My father first started going the first year they allowed boats at Wahweep. After that first year, he was in love with Lake Powell, and it went until 2012. I wasn’t a twinkle in anyone’s eye his first trip, but my nephew and I were with him on his last trip. That was a bittersweet day for me. I have been told I was 6 months the first time they took me, and since 1973 I have tried to go at least once a year. When I was younger, we would beach camp in Hall’s Creek with friends and family for a week every August. You don’t see it as much anymore, but we had a camp of tents like no other. As I got older, those trips seemed to have less and less people being able to make it due to life, which I fully understand now that I am 46. In my later 20s, my dad and I would go at least once a year together. Those years I will cherish forever. My old man was raised in the generation where men didn’t know how to express their feelings like now. When we were in his boat and at Powell, he was a different person. I have learned so many life lessons there and he has taught me many things when he wasn’t looking. Now, I have 4 kids and the 6 of us follow in his love and footsteps at this special place we call Powell! My kids also have the love and respect of the lake like I do, and if you asked them where would you like to go in the world, hands-down they would say Powell. Lake Powell is our Disneyland and no matter what you can say, it is the greatest place on earth to me!

I was born going to Lake Powell in the late 60s, at least that’s what my parents say. Our close family friends (Tom and Velma Eaton) rented out boats back then on the lake and we always stayed with them in Page or camped on the lake. I spent my childhood to now on the lake and now my children and grandchildren are now enjoying its beauty.

I have to agree with many previous posts. I love this thread. When "last wild human" mentioned Web Adams and the Anglers Inn in Ogden, I had to reply ! And yes like many I could fill a book. Web and I met in 1976 when we worked at the original Anglers Inn store in Sugarhouse and the rest as they say is History !! Web and I opened the Anglers Inn store in Sandy UT, In 1978 Shortly after Web opened the Ogden Anglers Inn. I taught Web most everything he knows about fishing ( Not really well, maybe, I had to throw that in because I am sure he will catch this and Work me over, he is a stealth "word ling". He trolls this site (always fishing LOL) We are still very close. I can't wait for him to catch this.)

My first trip to Lake Powell was in 1973. A buddy of mine and his parents set up a houseboat trip out of Bullfrog for Him and his two buddies, which I was lucky enough to be one of his buddies. On the drive down buddy #2 was struck with what we found out later was an appendicitis attack. His parents immediately turned around and took him back to SLC for medical care. That left Mike and I alone with the houseboat and a fishing skiff for two days. We were not allowed to operate the Houseboat, but good to go on the skiff. We were fishing addicts and had recently talked with Bass Pros at a Wolfes Sporting goods promotion they had held at the Downtown SLC store. They had a cooler full of huge LMB they had recently caught at Powell and raved that it was one of the TOP bass fisheries in the country, There is not enough space to even cover that trip, suffice it to say it was incredible to say the least, and the fishing was really fantastically awesome as well. Largemouth and Huge Crappie on virtually every cast. We also fished under the lights at the marina off the Houseboat and caught fish until we dropped from exhaustion. His parents when they returned allowed us to head out with The Houseboat to Lake Canyon. Trees still sticking out of the water with fish all over them !! They thought we were the best anglers in the world ( so did we) It was more how great the Lake was but that did not stop us. I WAS HOOKED PUN INTENDED. Since then I do not think I have missed a year and most years have had multiple trips per year to the Lake. My best friend who I met at AI, purchased a surplus Houseboat in 1982 at Wahweap, he motored up and put it on Buoy field at the HITE Marina..
It was there until the demise of Hite. I was fortunate to have been on many trips on the "gitzit' in the past out of Hite, our favorite part of the Lake and still going on more trips every year. That boat (Gitzit) is still in operation out of Halls Crossing. I still fish often with Web and have been close friends with him over all these years. I have so many great memories of the Lake it has been a huge part of my life!! I have driven the long dirt road and launched and camped in the back arm of the San Juan, as well as Blue Notch and Farley. Explored and fished camped and House boated from Wahweap, to the days we travelled above the bridges at Hite. I think I have made a visit to and or fished almost every canyon the length of this great Lake and yet there is still so much to explore and of COURSE to FISH. Through my contacts and customers at AI over all the years (25 at AI) I was able to experience many more stories and tales of this great lake.
Thanks for starting this post. On a cold winter day it has brought back many warm memories !!! I am sure they will be many more to come, at one of my favorite places on this earth!!
Mildog Out
I spoke to Web at a show today and if he hasn't talked to you I think he is going to. He did laugh at your comments though! He has some stories of his own that he should tell on here. LOL Small world, I have known Web for going on 30 years and he always has pictures of big fish to show me. Glad you brought him up in this conversation.

I spoke to Web at a show today and if he hasn't talked to you I think he is going to. He did laugh at your comments though! He has some stories of his own that he should tell on here. LOL Small world, I have known Web for going on 30 years and he always has pictures of big fish to show me. Glad you brought him up in this conversation.
I haven’t heard the names Wolfe’s and anglers inn for forever!! Lol I still remember going to both of those places growing up. Love the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mickey at Anglers Inn was the one who first taught my dad about spider jigging (hula grub) Powell along with many other soft plastic techniques.
Mickey, our Buddy Mike and I spent many a day throwing Spider jigs in the canyons around Hite, catching lots and lots of big Largemouth in the pre smallmouth days. When we weren't targeting Crappies that is,,,,, Great Memories for sure !! We had a routine of fishing North Wash Canyon before we would pack up and head home early on our last day. On one trip we decided to count how many LM bass we released, we lost count at over FIFTY and that was just a few hours in the morning of the last day !!! Most likely on Chartreuse Spider jigs or Bluegill Big O crankbaits. Those were the days!!

I ran into Web last Thursday at an account we were both calling on and he forgot to bring it up. You know old age will do that. LOL Another shot so he will remember to give me a hard time. I'm sure if you have known Web for 30 years we must have crossed paths as well, or run into each other out on the water.
Mildog Out

Skiied as a kid in the 1970's at Lake Kannapolis in Kansas. Best times in my life. Always wanted my own boat. Finally bought it in 1993. Got subscription to Waterski magazine, and stumbled upon photos of the most gorgeous place I'd ever seen--Lake Powell. The issue had a pic of Annie's Canyon and the Escalante River arm, as I recall. Anyway, LP is the only place any more for me. Big times. Great times. A whole history there.

I Started in 1978 with the family and have been going as much as possible ever sense. My parents bought into a houseboat in the 80's and we have had a share in a boat ever sense. The great thing about it for us is We can take a bunch of people with different likes and they all have fun no matter if its fishing, water sports, hiking, or even relaxing and board games. We affectionately call it the "happiest place on Earth".
Good to hear about old friends like Web Adams also and i'm wondering if Mildog is Pat?
Anyway I hope I have many many more family fish memories at the big pond.

Sitting in my house and could not get any of my friends or kids to go fishing with me. I got tired of fishing alone so I decided to start as a Non-boater in bass tournaments. The first tournament I fished in Utah was on the lake which was the first time I ever went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back