Houseboat time to travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanook

Hi all. I am new to the forum and am coming to the lake on June 23rd for a week. I have been to lp many times but first time taking a group out of bullfrog. Any suggestions on where to take a large group with 2 houseboats? Was thinking of going north up to good hope but was wondering how long that might take to travel. Going with a pretty rookie crew and need to find a large area to beach both.

from bullfrog you are about 26 to 27 miles from middle of good hope --- houseboats travel approx. 8 mph -- you are looking to 3+ hrs to get there---
In Mid June, water will still be very muddy in Good Hope and will have a lot of floating debris. -- you might want to look at heading south-- the Rincon generally has a lot of beach area, and it is a little closer than Good Hope

That was the debate. Go north or south. So Rincon around 3 hours? Would definitely like some clear water and good fishing. Just need quite a bit of space. Is it logical to think you could tie 2 houseboats together and anchor 2-3 lines from each? Never done it but wondering if it is to much of a risk with wind.

I have never done that, but I recall a thread a few years ago where someone had done that, and had no problem. -- might want to search this site and the old site for info -- old site was wayneswords.COM-----

I do not believe you will have a problem finding a spot --- send search boat out early to find and start set up

I will search and see if I can find more information. That would be the ideal setup if possible. Not sure I could find any space big enough uplake from Rincon or south of good hope.

Not sure I could find any space big enough uplake from Rincon or south of good hope.

North of Bullfrog is probably out if you're looking for clear water, though there are (at times) places for two houseboats before getting all the way to Good Hope (Hansen, Forgotten, Knowles).

Going south, you could use the Rincon as your "sure" bet while scouting a few places on the way there. It all depends on what becomes available at the specific water level when you arrive. While I haven't tied two houseboats together, I've seen it done in Halls Creek. You could also probably find areas big enough in Slick Rock or Iceberg. You may also find room (at certain water levels) to do that in some of the large coves across the main channel (west) from Slick Rock, Iceberg, and Rincon.

As @davew mentioned, get a scout boat out early to find the ideal spot.

Thank you for the insight. I’m guessing the water level will be at 3600 on the 23rd so I’m planning the trip on that assumption. Hopefully the rise continues. Can I be at Rincon in 3 hours on a houseboat?

The Rincon is just about 20 miles, we figure 7 miles per hour with our boat, so right at 3 hours. We can go faster, but then so does the gas. We have learned to enjoy the slow ride

At first glance I thought it was 'Houseboat time travel'. Got me thinking about what year I would go back to. I decided that 1968 would have been a good year to be on Lake Powell.

I would go back to the last year the river was running -- see what it looked like, then go back the 1st year it was full

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go back to the last year the river was running -- see what it looked like, then go back the 1st year it was full

I was there the first day at full pool, got bit by a small rattlesnake in Wahweap bay. Luckily it got me on the top of my left foot, mostly bone.
Sorry to interrupt the intentions of this thread.😁

Last edited by a moderator:
I have beached houseboats side-by-side many times. If you are renting, it is very likely that the generator exhaust is a tall vertical stack that will not be affected by another houseboat. Two houseboats will require only 14-16 more feet of beach space depending on the boats of course. It shouldn't be that difficult to find good beaching locations. Once you have found your location, here is what I have found workable for beaching two boats. When you get close to shore, but before beaching, bring both boats to a complete stop. Then bring the two boats side-by-side very slowly. Use all the dock fenders available between the boats and lash the boats together using strong rope, while floating, using as many cleats as possible. Use caution to keep feet and hands from between the boats. If you have children on board, I would keep them inside the cabins until the boats are securely tied together and beached. Once the two boats are securely lashed together, use all four engines to beach the boats. It is likely that the lake will still be rising at that time, so I would beach them as solidly as possible. And if you are doing a "hard beaching" be sure all passengers are seated and hanging on for the sudden stop. Two anchors on each side, if properly set, should be plenty. Also, with the rising lake, I would set anchors at the bow. The last time I was on the lake with two side-by-side houseboats was in mid to late June 2014. I had to re-beach the boats every day due to the rising lake level. Not a big deal and only takes about 10 minutes with a little coordination and a crew willing to follow instructions. Certainly there are other ways but this is what I found workable: (this assumes the engines are in plenty of water and the stern can swing back and forth about 5-10 feet) 1) have six competent crew, 2) disconnect the bow anchors and be sure the anchor lines are not in the water, 3) place a driver at each helm and four crew at the stern, one for each anchor line, 4) un-cleat all four anchor lines and pull up any slack, 5) start the engines and use all four engines to push straight forward as far as possible (full throttle, then back off) - the four line-tenders at the stern need to keep the anchor lines tight at all times, 6) keeping all four engines in forward (moderate the throttles) turn both wheels to starboard (right) to swing the stern to port (left) a few feet - have the line tenders on the port side pull up the slack and when the swing to port stops, cleat off both lines, 7) turn the wheels to port to swing the stern to starboard - have the starboard line tenders pull up the slack as the stern swings to starboard and when the swing stops, cleat off both lines. 8) this process can be repeated, back and forth, as needed to wiggle the boats up onto the beach and then eventually cleat both sides off when far enough up the beach and the boats are straight. 9) re-set your bow anchors.
Good luck!

Thank you for the great description. Very detailed instruction. I have enough able bodies to pull that off. Do you remember some areas when you have beaches 2 together. You said you have done it multiple time. Want to get a good game plan prior to getting on the lake. You recommend 2 anchors on each side and 2 straight off the bow?

Thank you for the great description. Very detailed instruction. I have enough able bodies to pull that off. Do you remember some areas when you have beaches 2 together. You said you have done it multiple time. Want to get a good game plan prior to getting on the lake. You recommend 2 anchors on each side and 2 straight off the bow?
Two weeks ago there was a huge beach in the rincon south of the floating John by 400 yards. It was probably 25 ft. High so it might still be there. As the water gets higher the size will diminish but there were 4 big cruisers anchored there with mega room on all sides. Probably room for 8 houseboats.

TR

Even between now and your arrival date, the lake shoreline will change significantly. I agree with past posts, go south. You will just have to scout to find your spot. The number of anchors you will have will depend on the size boats you are renting. The larger rentals come with four anchors, the smaller boats only two. If you have six to eight anchors total, I would put two on each side all four lines tied off at the stern plus anchor the bow in place. If you have only four anchors, you may have to make an executive decision as to where to place them depending on how protected your spot is and where the wind may hit you. I believe there are good posts on the basics/art of anchoring - you should read those. How you place your anchors in the sand will make or break you if a big wind comes up. Large rocks are also a great option if available. Either way, using the engines to pull in both directions to check the set of your anchors is a vital step. The rentals will have a shovel. I recommend bringing a couple garden rakes (not a leaf rake). The rising water often pushes into brush on the beach. A garden rake can make quick work to clear an area compared to using a shovel.
Good luck, JO

Thank you. Those are great tips. I have anchored houseboats before and been successful, just wasn’t sure about doubling the weight essentially on the anchors by side tying the 2 boats together. I feel like if I can find a solid spot big enough to accommodate the anchoring should not be a big deal if done properly. With the lake rising so fast do you think there will be ample space at Rincon if day the elevation is around 3600 or higher?

We always do three anchor points per side. I’d especially want that with two boats.

If you ask before you leave, Executive Services will give you extra rope. Leave the anchors on board and tie around boulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back