Houseboat rental and traveling as far as Escalante Canyou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why you would want to leave from Wahweap. You will not need to refuel the houseboat and will be towing the tracker. I would just haul gas cans in the tracker. When needed, make a run to halls or DR to buy gas and fill the cans. There is a pumpout at the mouth of Escalante. Pumping 150 gallons by hand....I would get the wife on a workout program asap😁
We are looking for the the shortes distance from the marinas to EC. Wether it be from Wahweap or Bullfrog. Don’t have my maps available right now. Thinking about fuel and food runs from the houseboat with our tracker 18 footer

RE Holding tank: A good rule of thumb that I use after tracking trip data for many years (yes, I really do this!) is you use 1 gallon of tank space per day per person. So a 100-gallon tank will last 10 people 10 days, or 2 people 50 days during the summer months. This analysis is for drop-through or efficient flush heads (i.e. Vacuflush), not regular house-type flush like are on many of the newer private houseboats. So for two of you, if the tank is 150 gallons, you may not need to pump out prior to returning.

For winter trips, ave use is 1.25 - 1.50 gallons per day per person.

Last edited:
We are considering renting a houseboat at Bullfrog for a month or a few weeks, pulling a Tracker behind it and heading for Escalante Canyon. I would like some advice from viewers that have this experience. Fueling at Dangling Rope, canyons to fish on the way, etc. Any advice would be appreciate. Thanks Ben Johnson

We used to go from Bullfrog to Escalante every year, You are better off running to Halls for gas then Dangling Rope. It is closer, no tour boats to deal with, and gas is cheaper. But it's still a long run from Escalante. You are best off leaving at first light in the morning and then you should be back about noon.

Pretty sure that NPS has a 14 day limit on a stay at the Lake. So I think you will have trouble getting a 30 day rental.

you shouldn’t need to dump the holding tank on the houseboat if only two are using the head.

last time I rented, Aramark would only let you bring 30 gallons of extra fuel on the houseboat.

If you’re able to do the trip you are suggesting, I would bring dry ice and enough supplies to not have to go down to Page.

RE Holding tank: A good rule of thumb that I use after tracking trip data for many years (yes, I really do this!) is you use 1 gallon of tank space per day per person. So a 100-gallon tank will last 10 people 10 days, or 2 people 50 days during the summer months. This analysis is for drop-through or efficient flush heads (i.e. Vacuflush), not regular house-type flush like are on many of the newer private houseboats. So for two of you, if the tank is 150 gallons, you may not need to pump out prior to returning.

For winter trips, ave use is 1.25 - 1.50 gallons per day per person.
Thanks for the information. Very helpful

Pretty sure that NPS has a 14 day limit on a stay at the Lake. So I think you will have trouble getting a 30 day rental.

you shouldn’t need to dump the holding tank on the houseboat if only two are using the head.

last time I rented, Aramark would only let you bring 30 gallons of extra fuel on the houseboat.

If you’re able to do the trip you are suggesting, I would bring dry ice and enough supplies to not have to go down to Page.
I forgot about the 14 day time. I will check with the NPS when we go to Powell and talk about a boat rental. Thanks

Bullfrog/Halls would be cheaper for gas but NO shopping for supplies at BF. Sq
Yes.. We have spent much time up and down the lake from Bullfrog. Not good shopping. How far is it from EC to Wahweap. If we only have 14 days on the lake we may have to change plans about EC. Will talk with the NPS before lon. Thanks

We used to go from Bullfrog to Escalante every year, You are better off running to Halls for gas then Dangling Rope. It is closer, no tour boats to deal with, and gas is cheaper. But it's still a long run from Escalante. You are best off leaving at first light in the morning and then you should be back about noon.
This is very interesting. I will look into this. Buy most of my gas at Halls when staying at Stanton Creek. When we are at Bullfrog we usually travel about 20 miles up or down lake to fish to get out of all the traffic. Thanks

Thanks for the info. I would also take 15 gallons of gas in my Tracker

Can one buy dry ice at Bullfrog. Have bought lots of propane for camper and bbq.

I’m sure that Junction has dry ice also, when I come from Evergreen, Clifton is ez on and off the highway. BF is MM95, EC is MM 68, so, about 27 miles. Wahweap would be about 68 miles less 10 or so going thru the cut. I don’t have the South map here so DR, may be about the same. Sq

Powellbride. Thanks for the reply. Yes my first thought was using the tracker boat to make a food run into page. What stores are available there besides Walmart for shopping for food.
They also have a Safeway. I think that's about it for groceries. Walmart is closer to the lake. Be sure you have your park pass or receipt as you will have to leave and renter the park. I'd also check with the park service to be sure you don't have an issue with parking a vehicle for more than 2 weeks. I think, not sure, that technically you can only stay in the Park for 14 consecutive days. Then have to leave and resented. You'd think they would care less early in the season. But the lack of traffic may just make your long term parking easier to identify

This is very interesting. I will look into this. Buy most of my gas at Halls when staying at Stanton Creek. When we are at Bullfrog we usually travel about 20 miles up or down lake to fish to get out of all the traffic. Thanks
We generally head to the SJ from Halls for our 7-10 day trips. EC will be closer and very doable for a 14-15 day trip. We try to leave Halls at first light and are generally anchored by 2-3 in the afternoon, 10-13 miles up SJ. We cruise at 2600 RPM, and count on 8 hours. We can push the RPMs on our old boat but really just suck up a ton of gas for little in the way of extra speed. Sounds like your biggest concern will be fuel for the tracker once you park the houseboat.

I’m sure that Junction has dry ice also, when I come from Evergreen, Clifton is ez on and off the highway. BF is MM95, EC is MM 68, so, about 27 miles. Wahweap would be about 68 miles less 10 or so going thru the cut. I don’t have the South map here so DR, may be about the same. Sq
Okay. Thanks for the mileages/distances. Yes much closer to go to Halls for Fuel. Not food so will plan for that

We generally head to the SJ from Halls for our 7-10 day trips. EC will be closer and very doable for a 14-15 day trip. We try to leave Halls at first light and are generally anchored by 2-3 in the afternoon, 10-13 miles up SJ. We cruise at 2600 RPM, and count on 8 hours. We can push the RPMs on our old boat but really just suck up a ton of gas for little in the way of extra speed. Sounds like your biggest concern will be fuel for the tracker once you park the houseboat.
We will put about 30 gals of extra Fuel in the tracker. We do a lot of trolling with our 8hp merc on the boat. Don’t do a lot of long distance running with the 150 merc on the boat. Both motors are 4 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back