Houseboat Line Thickness 5/8" or 3/4"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

I’m in the market for new shore anchoring ropes/lines. I know this had been covered before and I found old multiple postings- That being said – for a 42’ foot houseboat – Is 5/8” double braid nylon line okay or am I splitting hairs and I should bump that up to ¾” -- when I’m being pushed around during those 40-50 mph micro bursts I want to know that I made the right choice (is the ¾” overkill with my sized houseboat?)

Also is the double braided nylon my best choice or ????

Thanks in advance

I have used both sizes on our 65-foot houseboat and like the 5/8". In 47 years of coming to Powell, I have yet to break a line that wasn't already damaged by a propeller hit, a rock chafe, or something similar. It is not as if a 3/4" line would have enough extra heft that I would feel comfortable using one that was damaged. For my money, I think I am better off buying the less expensive 5/8" line but replacing it more often. If one of my 200' or 250' main anchor lines gets damaged, I cut off the remainder and whip the end. Buying longer lines to start with means you can do that once or twice and still have enough line to anchor. If a line gets damaged out in the middle, that's usually a good time to cut it in half and demote the shorter halves to anchor lines for the front of the boat or even dock tie lines.

In addition to being more expensive, 3/4" lines are heavier. You can carry them, but they are a pain. The 5/8" lines are a lot easier to manage.

And yes, double braid nylon. It holds up to the sun well and has proved to me to be fully as strong as I need.

That's my .02 for what it's worth!

A LONG time ago we went with the bigger is better theory, and bought 150’ 1” dock lines 🤣🤣🤣. That was so stupid. The lines were to heavy to carry or tighten effectively. We have 3/4” on the boat now, but I like Endurance’s logic. As we need to replace our current ropes I’m going to seriously consider longer and skinnier

How much does your anchor line stretch? Agreed on diameter and strength, with modern lines, strength is no longer much of a concern (most modern marine quality lines are stronger than steel cables.) In running rigging on sail boats most replacement lines are typically bought a size smaller today than in past years (for example mid quality 5/8" sheets have a 14000 pound breaking strength, going with 7/16" at 6000 pound breaking strength was plenty on my 31' sailboat.) I also replaced my stainless steel halyards with all line, there was no strength advantage going with steel and I won't miss getting poked by frayed cable.

So that said, the big question is on stretch, what type of anchor lines are you buying in terms of stretch? The above running rigging has 3% stretch for mid priced line, close to zero for the expensive stuff. On anchor lines typically you would want a lot of stretch to absorb any shock and thus pulling your anchor.

Anchoring a houseboat on a beach is a little different, you want some stretch but maybe not as much as a typical anchor line. We are still running the large diameter 1" stuff (some type of gold nylon braided line, so less stretch than 3 strand anchor line, but I have no idea what the specs are.) It seems to stretch quite a bit when a gust hits. A little stretch is desirable, but sometimes on severe gusts from the side seems it may stretch enough to spin the houseboat sideways on the beach.

So what type of line is everyone buying, and what is the spec on stretch? Also, where are you buying your line from?

I am using New England Rope brand double braided nylon, and I'm guessing that's what you are using also (or similar brand). Their website does not show the stretch but does show tensile strength. But I swear I've read it is rated at 10% stretch.

New England Rope Double Braid Nylon

And I agree. If you don't have your anchor angles out far enough from the boat, the stretch during big blows can almost turn the boat parallel to the anchor! I've had that happen once and it was scary as the 100' anchor line was stretching, I'm guessing, 20', but in reality probably the specified 10'! But without that stretch, something would have had to give - either the cleat on the boat or the anchor pulling from the ground, so stretch overall is good.

One way to reduce (not eliminate) the gust pull on your anchor lines is to hang a 5 gal bucket full of water in the middle so that the bucket is underwater. This will drag through the water column when the gust hits and lessen the sway of the houseboat or cruiser. Chuck

I am using New England Rope brand double braided nylon, and I'm guessing that's what you are using also (or similar brand). Their website does not show the stretch but does show tensile strength. But I swear I've read it is rated at 10% stretch.

West Marine's website has the spec's for the above line. I think with the 1" you could lift the entire houseboat... :)

5/8" Diameter:
  • Breaking Strength: 13100 Pounds
  • Boat Length: 37 to 45 Feet
  • Core Fiber: Nylon
  • Cover Fiber: Nylon
  • Diameter: 5/8 Inch
  • Quality: Premium
  • Stretch: 6.5% Stretch at 15% of Breaking Strength
  • Type: Double Braid

3/4" Diameter:
  • Breaking Strength: 20500 Pounds
  • Boat Length: 45 to 55 Feet