Houseboat Generator - 20Kw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gem Morris

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
I need some help, is there another solution BESIDES Westerbeke? We need to replace ours over the off-season and just wondering what everyone else is using?

Onan or Kohler...
I can give you a guy’s number out of GJ that I think is still in business these days.
He’s done a lot of them down there and knows his stuff

Onan or Kohler...
I can give you a guy’s number out of GJ that I think is still in business these days.
He’s done a lot of them down there and knows his stuff
That would be great! My phone number is eight oh one three one nine triple oh nine. You can text or call - I appreciate it.

I'd also look at Isuzu Marine and Yanmar. The prices can be pretty good on the Isuzu units vs the others. We have a 17.5KW Isuzu in our motorhome and it's been good so far.

Are you servicing it yourself? If not I would make sure that there is someone on the lake that works on something other than a Westerbeke.

We will hire the work done. So far I’m ONLY aware of a Westerbeke authorized service rep/installer on the lake. I got very bad feedback on Onan. I heard that all of ARAMARK boats were switched to Onan a few years ago and they had nothing but trouble so switched back to Westerbeke. Does anyone know if that is a fact?

Gas. We were told that to add a diesel gas tank would put our boat out of compliance for insurance purposes. Is that true?

Last edited:
Gas. We were told that to add a diesel gas tank would put out boat out of compliance for insurance purposes. Is that true?
I don't know that answer in your specific situation, but that sounds like a strange answer provided by your agent without knowing exactly what you were proposing to do. In general, switching from gas to diesel when done correctly, is a value add (and much safer than gasoline). If your boat already uses a separate fuel tank for the generator, switching to diesel can be a great alternative as they consume about 50% of the fuel that gasoline generators do to produce the same kilowatts per hour, on average. Diesel gensets will last many thousands of hours before needing to be replaced. If you plan on owning your boat for a long time, it's worth considering if you already have a separate generator fuel tank. If you don't, this is probably not a viable option.

But the main reason I asked gas or diesel was just to ascertain what services were available where you are on the lake, as Ryan mentioned. Service availability at your boat location would be the #1 driver of my decision. On the south end of the lake, Westerbeke and Kohler are the two brands I see most, and service is readily available. Others may be available also. But as an example, I know via a slip neighbor that Caterpillar Marine service IS NOT available on the water - service must be dispatched out of SLC - not good.

It sounds like you might have had some bad experience with Westerbeke. The newer (meaning the last 10 years or so) fuel-injected low CO2 Westerbekes were known to have problems from the moment they launched, and I still read of problems with them today on forums. My personal experience is with the old-school carburated units and this is still what I'd recommend for ease of service, parts availability, and reliability. Just my opinion from my own personal experience if you are staying with gas.

FYI - if you do your own install work, you can save $10,000-$15,000 acquiring your own genset, shipping it to where your boat is and installing it yourself. If it is essentially the same genset as the one you are replacing, installation can be very simple even for novices. This is what I did - I did have an electrician do my wiring as I was switching from two 30A inlets to one 50A-125V/250V and wanted to make sure it was done correctly. But when I need a new genset someday, I'll be able to completely install it myself.

Last edited:
several items for you Glen:
1. I sell some HB insurance, and the question of having gas engines and a diesel gen set has never come up. I looked over some policy pages and forms, and it is not addressed nor excluded. What carrier informed you it would not be covered?
2. we put in a new 20kw westerbeke 3 years ago, and have had no problems -- as Pegasus stated, we saved about 10k over a quoted price from a lake powell shop by doing our self. I understand that the main problems ( according to the company we purchased from) that people that repower to the new westerbeke gensets have is based on exhaust size. Our old system was 2and 1/2 inch and the new one calls for 3 inch -- according to supplier many shops just leave the 2 1/2 in place which causes many of the problems -- we switched to 3 inch and have been problem free.

Thanks davew, I knew I was going to have to change to 3 inch on the exhaust. Our stacks are already 3" so it's just a matter of changing from the generator to where the stacks begin (all below the deck).

I have a meeting in Page on Dec 16 with the shop that said diesel would be a violation of HB insurance, I'll run that to the ground then or before.

Thanks for your input.

Do you sell enough HB insurance that you could give us a quote when our's renews spring of next year?

several items for you Glen:
1. I sell some HB insurance, and the question of having gas engines and a diesel gen set has never come up. I looked over some policy pages and forms, and it is not addressed nor excluded. What carrier informed you it would not be covered?
2. we put in a new 20kw westerbeke 3 years ago, and have had no problems -- as Pegasus stated, we saved about 10k over a quoted price from a lake powell shop by doing our self. I understand that the main problems ( according to the company we purchased from) that people that repower to the new westerbeke gensets have is based on exhaust size. Our old system was 2and 1/2 inch and the new one calls for 3 inch -- according to supplier many shops just leave the 2 1/2 in place which causes many of the problems -- we switched to 3 inch and have been problem free.
Just curious, did you install a diesel or gas? I'm surprised Dave from Rabbitbrush hasn,t chimed in. The 10 years I worked on the Aramark houseboat rental fleet found me around Westerbeke and Onan gens frequently. The older naturally aspirated machines were bulletproof. Other than more fuel consumption on the Westerbeke 12.5 KW versus Onans 4 KW they both were great machines, in fact I put in an Onan 4000 for my off grid cabin in S. Utah. Other than a starter the Onan has given me 1,300 hours of reliable service. At the end of my time at Aramark EFI was being introdused on the Westerbekes and they did have problems. Don't know what is available in a carburetor model or if the the gremlins are worked out of the EFI system but do know Westerbeke was a strong gen. By the way the engine was a mitsubishi. Not exactly a newcomer to engines. If I was going to the trouble of installing a gen and hanging on to my houseboat, there is little doubt a diesel would be better but at what price? A direct change out is not a horrible job but access and being able to yank it straight out would have a bearing on the pain in the rear factor.

Gem, Give a call next year, we will take a look -- I mostly deal with single owner or 2 owner boats.

Bird -- gas out / gas in. We replaced engines as well, so were able to work with lots of room. Generator was very easy in and out -- only thing we needed to do was drill new hole for 3 inch exhaust. Footprint was the same.

Installed a new kohler gas last year. Kohler is not producing gas marine gen sets anymore. Legal battle with westerbeke I was told. Found new / old stock in florida
Kohler was4-5 K less than westerbeke. Onan only makes marine generators in diesel. I think Aramark was using rv air cooled generators on deck not under deck.

Installed a new kohler gas last year. Kohler is not producing gas marine gen sets anymore. Legal battle with westerbeke I was told. Found new / old stock in florida
Kohler was4-5 K less than westerbeke. Onan only makes marine generators in diesel. I think Aramark was using rv air cooled generators on deck not under deck.
That is correct, a whole different animal. Shoulda mentioned that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back