Hope This Doesn't End the Fly Overs at Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowellBride

Staff member
I can see this leading to a ban on the flyovers at all National Parks, hope I'm wrong. I really love it when we're cruising down the channel and one of those fighter jets buzzes us. The boom usually scares me to death, even when I'm expecting it, but they are an awesome site

The accident in Death Valley will not change the military flyovers of Lake Powell. The flyovers you are seeing are along routes that the FAA and military have designated as VR (visual routes). Their purpose is to have low level training routes over a variety of terrain types while avoiding populated areas (reduced complaints). Fighters and bombers use low level tactics to avoid enemy radar...and they can't help but have fun too. I've flown many of those routes. Before the VR system was developed and the lake was filling we used to teach terrain following and avoidance radar techniques to students (in the single seat A7D) below the rim of the canyon walls. Lot of focus on the radar to stay in one piece. There would be the student flying the radar and his instructor would be in a "chase" position in the second plane for safety. Chuck

We often see low flyers down the Verde& Salt rivers down here in Arizona as well. I assume from Luke air force base. Always cool to see and always to fast to catch with the camera. I hope the survivors have a full and speedy recovery.

We "might" see Star Wars Canyon closed to foot traffic that climbs the hills to get photos. Has nothing to do with Powell. Lots of utubes on Star Wars Canyon 6 of the 7 injuries require surgery with one really in bad shape. Looks like he hit just below the rim a sprayed burning fuel up over the crest.

(Disregard....did not see the E designation---Nevermind)
Interesting that it was a Super Hornet and only had a singleton on board. Would not have thought the Supers would normally fly without a GIB.
Goblin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back