Homemade Striper Lures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wayne,
Looking for the blanks you use to make lures. Several years ago my brother bought a few from a guy (i believe he was a regular of Wayne's Words) who has since passed. I have lost several of his lures now and need/want to replenish the tackle box. looking for 2oz size if possible. Any info would help.

Thanks

Wayne,
Looking for the blanks you use to make lures. Several years ago my brother bought a few from a guy (i believe he was a regular of Wayne's Words) who has since passed. I have lost several of his lures now and need/want to replenish the tackle box. looking for 2oz size if possible. Any info would help.

Thanks
How many are you looking for?

Specifically I am looking for spoons. The ones we had looked like they had a kevlar jacket around a metal body and i think they were 2oz.

I guess it depends on the price. But it would be nice to have 20 or so...
I have some of the ones you are talking about, I think they called them a wallylure or something like that. I think it was Howard Oatman who made them.
I can’t find any of the iridescent fabric that they were wrapped in.
I’ve got 8 or 10 that I poured when I first got my mold. I’d even started painting some of them.
I was going to sell them for $2.00 each, but if you’ll shoot me your address I’ll send you some for free. You can try them out and see if they will work

I have some of the ones you are talking about, I think they called them a wallylure or something like that. I think it was Howard Oatman who made them.
I can’t find any of the iridescent fabric that they were wrapped in.
I’ve got 8 or 10 that I poured when I first got my mold. I’d even started painting some of them.
I was going to sell them for $2.00 each, but if you’ll shoot me your address I’ll send you some for free. You can try them out and see if they will work
Thank you. 2313N 2100 W Clinton Ut, 84015. Make sure you include a return address and ill send you some money. Very genrous, thanks!

I would think some kind of mylar tubing like bungy braid used in fly tying would work great. Stretched over the lure, then covered with epoxy it would look great and be very durable....

Nobspoon1.jpg

Here are some Dave Wallace Wallylure replicas. We bought a mold from Janns Netcraft online. The mold is reversible and produced 1.5 or 2 ounce lures. The mylar mesh as harder to find. I cant remember where we finally got it but it tends to wear out sooner than it should

More recently we have just painted the spoons and they work just as well. We use the 1.5 ounce size 90% of the time. Janns sells a wire clip to put in the mold and allows the hooks and swivels to be attached top and bottom.

Last edited:
The Howard Oatman Spoon is on the left, second lure down with the green back and black eye. It comes from the same mold. Its a great spoon just as the others are. Get a mold and pour some spoons to achieve great fishing success for stripers from August to April on Lake Powell.

spoons.jpg

Thank you. 2313N 2100 W Clinton Ut, 84015. Make sure you include a return address and ill send you some money. Very genrous, thanks!
Mailed off 8 this morning. Was all I could find for now.
No need to send $, I’m just paying foreword a nice guy from Wayne county who gave me a handful of his home made spoons last fall.
He also told me about Jann’s Netcraft as a source to get molds, wires, paint, eyes,ect.
Serving the web last night I also came across listings for the iridescent Mylar bungled braid
The Howard Oatman Spoon is on the left, second lure down with the green back and black eye. It comes from the same mold. Its a great spoon just as the others are. Get a mold and pour some spoons to achieve great fishing success for stripers from August to April on Lake Powell.

View attachment 1747

Hook and Hackle have the bungee braid in both 3/8ths, and 3/4ths sizes. $4.25 per yard. Good luck and enjoy.
Pouring spoons is a good way to fight cabin fever

We had some luck last Labor Day on the Oatman 2 oz spoons with the shad-colored mylar wrap right behind the floating restroom in GHB. But it was 80 to 100 feet right there and we couldn't get a straight drop with anything shy of a 2 oz. spoon. The air bladders on the fish we pulled up were blown up. I've never had success spooning stripers in that much water before.

Luke, I have a bunch of blanks, the shape of the Wallylure's, and I was going to give them to My old buddy Howard Oatman, he was going do them up, and he up and passed on us, but these dont have hook's, and are unpainted, just lead, and you could do your own thing with them, I have a bunch of them, and there just sitting in a box, I would be happy if you or somebody on here, would fix them up, and use them. I have three size's. They are the same shape as Howard's, the one in the picture, that Wayne posted. If you or any one, on here want's some, let me know. I probably have 60 or 70.
KyKevin

When you guys make your own lures do you soak them in anything to remove the chemical odor of plastic lead and paint? And do you treat them with anything as an attractant?

I bought these blank's, intending to make my own spoon's, but never got around to it, and I could'nt tell you how they do it.

When you guys make your own lures do you soak them in anything to remove the chemical odor of plastic lead and paint? And do you treat them with anything as an attractant?

Our spoons are just final coated with epoxy but no attractant. If we had a lure that was intended to work like bait and smelled/tasted like fish (anchovy or other fish) then it would be important to have light, invisible line (fluoro) and a lure that looked great as the fish inspected it carefully before biting. But reaction lures like spoons, crank baits, surface lures are meant to prompt a quick strike as the fish reacts to how it swims and moves. If they don't respond quickly they don't get fed.

If fishing with a spoon with bait attached then the lure smells and tastes like fish and the spoons get it to depth in a hurry. Using the lure as bait means it must be edible. Using a lure as a reaction bait means it has to swim like a fish.

I talked with howard some just before he passed, and he liked to use the pearl white powder paint. He said he purchased it in bulk from pro-tec. I gave him some reflective tape and he sent me a couple of lures with it on. I have not got a chance to try them yet. I paint my own jigs and spinner blades, but don't have a big enough fluid bed to dip the large spoons like he did. I do have an air gun that can be used to put the powder on the hot lure and should work great. I don't have much experience with the air gun and need to experiment more with it. I have some glitter that I like to use on my smaller jigs and could probably come up with some different combinations. It is a lot of fun making your own jigs and powder coating them. If you have not tried it you should.

When I make my surface poppers with wooden dowel I paint them with white and red enamel which I put in a olive jar and simply dip each lure. I then hang them in a card board box to drip excess and dry. Chuck

Luke, I have a bunch of blanks, the shape of the Wallylure's, and I was going to give them to My old buddy Howard Oatman, he was going do them up, and he up and passed on us, but these dont have hook's, and are unpainted, just lead, and you could do your own thing with them, I have a bunch of them, and there just sitting in a box, I would be happy if you or somebody on here, would fix them up, and use them. I have three size's. They are the same shape as Howard's, the one in the picture, that Wayne posted. If you or any one, on here want's some, let me know. I probably have 60 or 70.
KyKevin
That would be great. I wouldnt want all of them, it there is someone else interested, but i could probably make 20 or so. I had a great time hucking these spoons and dripping them last fall. Something about casting a mile is satisfying, even caught a big crappie on one as we were moving from one area to another. My address is 2313 N 2100 W Clinton Ut, 84015. Ill gladly pay the shipping if you send me a return address. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back