Hite to Good Hope Fishing 8-31 & 9-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarzArz

We made a very short, whirlwind, trip to the Lake over the Labor day weekend. Only 2 days fishing, but my wife said we had to go...what's a guy to do???

We met our favorite fishing partners, our son and granddaughter from SLC at Hite. Launched and camped at Hite, I'll post a Hite specific report tomorrow.
Only had two days to fish and had read all the recent reports on slower than anticipated fishing, and found that to be true for us.
Temperature each day about 103 for a high, 68 for a low. We had great wind weather, or lack of it, 2-5 MPH in the mornings, up to maybe 10MPH Gusts in the afternoon. Water temperatures pretty consistent, 80 to 82 degrees from Farley to restroom at Good Hope. Visibility only about 6 inches up near Hite and up to about 2-4 feet in side canyons and main channel lower down. Light Brown at Hite to about Two Mile, then light green downstream from there. Was some debris just down lake from the Horn, had to slow down and dodge some logs, but not too bad, isolated logs here and there, a few that were pretty big.

Drove all night FRiday, on the water Saturday about 9AM till 6PM. Fished Trachyte, walls in the main channel from Horn to Two Mile and a lot in Red Canyon for small mouth. This was after having cruised from Hite to the Floating Bathrooms at the lower end of Good Hope, looking for Striper boils, none to be found. We had smooth water much of the day and little boat traffic, not a boil or even a slurp seen. Lots of Big Gizzard? Shad singles swimming in circles on their sides on the surface. Lots of shad balls seen on the Humminbird. Lots of Stripers seen from 30-50 feet on the Humminbird, lots of Spoons deployed, not a strike. We did make contact with a couple of SM drop-shoting and throwing plasics, into shadow areas, skipping under ledges was best, but none in the boat that day. Disappointing fishing, but beautiful day on the water and some nice places to go for a swim and escape the heat!...see our Son and granddaughter!!

Sunday, on the water at first light, smooth ride from Hite to wall below the Floating Bathrooms at Good Hope. Not a single boil or slurp. LOTS of bait balls and stripers visible on the Humminbird. We dropped various spoons and swim baits and jigs, but no takers. It was smooth water and good visibility, and five sets of eyes looking, but no surface activity, except the occasional big distressed Shad, referenced above.

But finally, we did get into a few fish. On the wall below the restrooms, fishing in the wall shadow in 8-16 feet of water. Throwing plastics, jigs, top water, NEDS, no luck. Until our granddaughter and Son put a black NED type bait on, then things warmed up. We all changed to black plastics and started getting bites and managed to catch a few nice small mouth and even a sun fish before we lost our shadow area.

We fished the rest of the day along the main channel walls trying to find shade and spent some time back in in Farley and White... went swimming at the Battleship!

Then back to camp, break camp and overnight drive back to NM.

We will be back in October to see if the cooler water and weather helps. Great short, but beautiful trip!
Even had a Lake Powell newbie, one of my young engineers from work, that was in Southern Utah hiking and camping solo, join us Saturday evening and go out with us Sunday morning. When we saw him off Sunday afternoon, he was talking about getting a boat...lol

Thanks to you all for the reports and information. (y)

Attachments

• Battleship.jpg
    Battleship.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    504.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    436.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
We were camped in the back of good hope. Our fishing was about the same, it was extremely slow we even went and swam at the battle ship too. I think we caught 6 fish the entire trip. 1-catfish, 1- striper and a couple of smallies. we saw a lot of fish at 40-50 feet but couldn't get any bites.

amilberger,
We always enjoy seeing the Battleship, there was lots of fish on the graph by it too, but like you experienced too, could not get them to bite!

We went swimming past the battleship, around the bend to the left then first side canyon on the right, they was cooler there.
We'll hope for better fishing next time, but it was a nice weekend! We likely passed each other on the water!

Great picture of The Battleship - that really captures the essence of it! Looking forward to your launching at Hite write up.

Thanks for the report. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks till it cools down. Need to go while Hite is still accessible.

Nice report, wish the fishing had been better for you guys.
Thanks Dworwood!
You always hope to have a breakout day, but after nothing on Saturday, we were pretty excited with the few we caught on Sunday!
Our granddaughter caught the most again...not sure what we are going to have to do with her! lol
But, we had a good time together and lived to tell about it! :)

We are looking toward mid October, so we will see what we can do then...

Thanks Dworwood!
You always hope to have a breakout day, but after nothing on Saturday, we were pretty excited with the few we caught on Sunday!
Our granddaughter caught the most again...not sure what we are going to have to do with her! lol
But, we had a good time together and lived to tell about it! :)

We are looking toward mid October, so we will see what we can do then...

Heck we all wish we could have those great trips every time, that’s why we watch Dungee’s crew, to see how they do it but even they have a bad day once in a while! Preston helped me this spring when I took the grandkids and probably saved our trip. Just being on Powell is worth the trip to me but catching fish always helps a little. I took too many zip lock bags and jinxed us last week! I had some friends I wanted to experience boils this past trip, one did and one never saw one. There is always next time. Fishing has been tough this year I believe for almost everyone. Glad your granddaughter out fished you all, she will never forget these times with you guys. I can’t wait for the weather to cool down, I still have a couple trips to make! I hope we are there at the same time this fall, I have a bunch of people on here I need to put with a face and a hand shake! Glad you lived through your trip too! LOL
Dave

Great picture of The Battleship - that really captures the essence of it! Looking forward to your launching at Hite write up.
Thanks Gem! We had a first timer with us that really wanted to see it!
Hope we cross paths again this fall!

Thanks for the report. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks till it cools down. Need to go while Hite is still accessible.
Hey Dano,
I expect to be in town next week, I will try and let you know, maybe we can grab lunch!

Yeah we’ve been pretty gun shy this summer. Andrew and I did go the one time in July but fishing was tough. High temps and big numbers of Shad are probably the culprit? I don’t think I’ve remembered seeing so many below average trips during boil season, have only heard of a handful of good ones.

Hopefully the fall produces some great fishing.

Hopefully the fall produces some great fishing.
[/QUOTE]

I understand...
We miss your posts. You and your family are a big part of getting us excited to spend more time at the lake and inspire us to work to become better fisher-persons! lol
We have really enjoyed it and are appreciative of your willingness to share your experiences

Looking forward to fall fishing and meeting you all one day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back