Hite Report Sept 22-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarzArz

Well, a bit late getting this posted...but when you have no fish to report, it sorta takes the fun out of posting a report, lol.
Thursday September 21, my wife, Jackie took off after work with the truck and camper, pulling the boat and meet me near Cuba New Mexico, where I was riding back with a co-worker from 4-corners that day. Jackie and I drove much or the night (except for a break at Sportsman Warehouse in Farmington, NM to add a few last minute Kastmasters and Shad shaped plastics in Green Pumpkin as per the latest WW report)...Wayne you should get a commission! Then on to Hite, arrive at 3AM...in a wind storm and climb up in the camper at the paved parking lot to sleep till daylight, along with another camper and boat. We awoke to a beautiful, but very windy sunrise. To windy to launch, at least for us, so we went sightseeing a bit, looking for a camping spot and cell service. We found a nice camping spot right on the water, about 700 feet south of the concrete launch ramp, but no cell service within about an hour of Hite in all directions, apparently. We had the camp are pretty much to ourselves, we were to only ones in that area when we set up and over the weekend three or four units came in for a night and left, but was lots of room, no one really close, no noise...very quiet and pleasant camping...except the wind.

We did not put in Friday, due to the wind, it was white capping all day. It was about 70 degrees, so not bad other than the wind. We saw three boats launch at the South dirt ramp and you could hear and see them slamming down on the waves almost to the turn before Farleys...it was rough!

Our Son and Granddaughter came in late Friday night from Salt Lake to meet us, they had driven cold rain and light snow to get to the "Sunny South" !

Saturday morning, we loaded the boat, still very windy, but better than Friday at least and tried to fish, with no results, from White Canyon to the Horn. We went all the way back to the end of White Canyon. The Water was very muddy and in the back, near the Battleship was 80 degrees. We saw large 6" shad swimming upside down in duress in the area. It was more like 73-75 degrees near the mouth of White Canyon. One shore camp on the South as you enter White Canyon. We finally got some decent water clarity about 2-Mile and stopped several times between 2-Mile and just South of 4-Mile for a few fish schools on the graph. The graphed fish were typically between 50 and 60 feet. We drifted and dropped spoons much of the mid-day and no takers...pretty sad bunch or fisherman for lunch!. We went back in 4-Mile to get out of the wind and drop-shoted, crank baited, buzz bated, surface lured, spinner baited, swim baited and jigged ...to no avail. A couple of good bites, no fish in the boat. 4-5 bass boats in and out of the back of the canyon and on camp on the North as you enter 4-mile, gentleman with a deep Vee Tracker. We spooned a bit just South of 4-Mile in the Main channel, as were a couple of other boats, but again no results. I think we saw Dan S. running by us about 1 PM in his Crestline with white outboard, we waved, but don't think you saw us! It was still pretty windy out. We went on to the Horn, but the wind was picking up quite a bit so we headed back to camp.
We were about to tie up at our camp and pull the boat up on a small gravel and sand beach and tie to the truck. The winds howled all night, I got up a few times to check the boat, not a great night's sleep.

Sunday morning, still windy, run my bilge pump 15-20 minutes to empty the boat. Help the group North of us launch their boat that got swamped with the waves overnight and sanded in to place.

We went out about 8:30 and fished Farley's canyon, near the mouth in the small coves on the North side. 71-73 degree water temps, water beginning to get a bit more clarity. We did get a couple of bites, actually even a small fish in the boat, mostly bass fishing in the coves. The back of the coves had lots of small shad schools in them. Generally from 1.5 to over 2" shad, some bass seem to be pursuing them at time, but they were pretty much enjoying life! Our Granddaughter hung a nice largemouth just under the shad and got it to the surface, before it decided...not today. She was (as all of us were) very sad. We did see Patriots Dream motoring around, trolling near the mouth of Farley's! Got a big wave, makes you feel like you are among friends...thank you!

So just after noon, back to the camp and start loading up to get back to New Mexico...fishless :-( But, a beautiful scenic area, our first time at Hite in decades. A great weekend with our Son and Granddaughter!

But, fish would have been nice! lol

OK, this has gone on way to long, sorry. But a few things about Hite that may be of interest, things I would have like to know while planning for this trip this trip.

HITE information:
The water was at 3629' when we were there.
The fisherman were all camped near the South unimproved ramp.
There were between 26-30 rigs with boat trailers camped near the South ramp, or temporarily at the paved parking lot above, plenty of room to get in and out and generally quiet.
Launching was no problem at all, most trucks kept their front tires out of the water.
The courtesy dock was in place and useful. In the winds the end of it was moving 3-4 feet vertically.
The ramp surface was solid, not slippery, nor muddy, no drama.
Pit toilets nearby and nice clean flush toilets at the upper end of the north concrete ramp.
No showers.
Camping at the primitive areas is $12 per night, saw no one checking.
Ranger stationed there, but never saw he/she
Free dump station and wash down and drinking water station
Not much activity near the concrete ramp (out of the water) other than tourist stopping briefly.
We camped about 600-700 feet south of the Concrete ramp, beached our boat at our camp.
People (Colo. locals) camped 2oo' North of us and launched 24' cuddy pleasure boat several times at the beach...easily
About 500' South of concrete ramp, 2nd picnic table, we loaded our boat there and barely got the tires wet.
The locals also launch at the first picnic table a couple hundred feet South of the Concrete ramp.
No guarantees, just saying.. I watched them launch several times before doing it, and still waded it all out
Store is open 11 to 4 now
Store is small, but nice clean and seems to have about anything one might need.
It has, Block and Crushed ice, Gas, including 91 octane, and ice cream!!!
Great people running to store, very friendly and helpful!

Well, I think this has gone on long enough...
Did I say we were bummed about no fish???

I brought some gummy bears incase I saw Nixon and could tempt him into some fishing hints!

I have a few pictures including the launch ramp area from above and from the water.
Thanks to Wayne and all of the wordlings for the great info. It is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_9276.JPG
    IMG_9276.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9318.JPG
    IMG_9318.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9317.JPG
    IMG_9317.JPG
    512.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9284.JPG
    IMG_9284.JPG
    477.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9229.JPG
    IMG_9229.JPG
    461.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Have to admit that I should have posted a report also. We launched on Saturday and pulled out Tuesday morning. Shore camped in Red. Catching was tough with only a few smb, 1 walleye and 1 striper caught trolling. Our best trolling was in 12' to 14' of water across the humps in Striper City. However the smb bite was back on and that kept us occupied, especially on Monday. Windier than I expected - colder at night than expected. The wind made it difficult to seek and spoon for stripers.

No doubt the constant wind made it really hard. Powell is funny, there have been many times (now i can't say for a whole trip, but then i can't remember when W blew like you described for an entire trip) when it becomes hard to imagine that there are any fish in the lake. On our last trip in mid July we could barely buy a bass bite besides boil fishing, we were truly dumbfounded. Sounds like you were on the right track with most everything, what to use and where. Powell is no joke when the wind picks up tho. Keep your head up and keep trying. We are headed down next weekend, will report what we find.

No doubt the constant wind made it really hard. Powell is funny, there have been many times (now i can't say for a whole trip, but then i can't remember when W blew like you described for an entire trip) when it becomes hard to imagine that there are any fish in the lake. On our last trip in mid July we could barely buy a bass bite besides boil fishing, we were truly dumbfounded. Sounds like you were on the right track with most everything, what to use and where. Powell is no joke when the wind picks up tho. Keep your head up and keep trying. We are headed down next weekend, will report what we find.
Thanks Preston! Seeing all the reports the previous couple of weeks, 100+ fish days...had my family pretty pumped that we might be part of that. So, we kind of set ourselves up a bit, expectation wise.
The reality was, it was a great trip, not a lot of fishing time, due to the wind, but a lot of fun fishing when we did. Better fishing than catching in our case! lol. In any boat, but especially a tin bass boat, I am not going to take many risks on Powell waters.
We had a good time and look forward to the next opportunity to be on the lake, maybe even another time this year.

Good luck with your upcoming trip, we will keep an eye out for your report!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back