Hite October 20 - 23 / Good deer hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBH

Thanks to those who provided launch conditions at Hite prior to our trip. As described by others, launching was not an issue at @ 3627.75 - .56 elevation. We were able to float the boat at the primitive launch. There were numerous boats larger than my 18.5' Ranger launching as well.

Nice to meet BobCo. Hope you had a good trip.

Fishing was interesting.

Friday was windy. We were still able to find some willing fish. Trolling for stripers was not as productive as we had hoped. It was very spotty. We did troll up a couple crappie on deep diving cranks (yes, you read that correctly), and marked the spot on Trachyte. That spot proved to be a nice "go-to" spot the rest of the trip. We spooned up stripers, crappie, walleye, lmb, and catfish off that hump.
We ended Friday with a slab of crappie, walleye, and stripers.
No boils.

cBk9U9Hm8vedunbk1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cBk9U9Hm8vedunbk1
mxwX790oRjCSEHbW2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mxwX790oRjCSEHbW2

Saturday was much less windy, but a bit cooler. Fishing, again, wasn't easy. The occasional striper was trolled up. We could pick up a few spooning in various places when marked on the graph, but nothing consistent. The "humps" between Trachyte and White proved as good a spot as anywhere. We found good walleye off the hump in Trachyte, but no crappie this day. Afternoon fishing was slow. We ended up with a good number of stripers and walleye.
Six A-10 Warthogs also came screaming downlake from Hite, past Farley / White, and out past Trachyte, then up and down then around the corner of the Bend, towards Good Hope. That was impressive!
No boils.
6435IEREuD65oYtu2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6435IEREuD65oYtu2

Sunday was beautiful. Clear skies and no wind. Fishing, again, wasn't easy. We could troll up a few on the humps between Trachyte and White again. We spooned a few crappie and walleye off the hump in Trachyte again. We also could find schools to spoon, but we'd get a few then no more. Afternoon fishing was down-right slow. But then the magic happened. At 5:30 the bay was dead calm. We were spooning a school when the noise came up. Splashing water. We all noticed it. It was loud. We all recognized what it was. I went for the binoculars. Richard spotted it across the bay on the south shoreline just outside the mouth of White's. Splashes. Everywhere. That whole bay came alive. In the next 3o minutes we reeled in striper, after striper. We filled the livewell to capacity. That was definitely one of the best boils I've ever experienced! And we had no other boats to share it with! (where'd everyone else go???)
XgPBhVgdx0rWHOI73
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XgPBhVgdx0rWHOI73
DAPZY41I3oBL7Bsz2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DAPZY41I3oBL7Bsz2

Boil
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uY0jTDoCSYeeMabB3

That was awesome.
Monday morning was another beautiful morning. Most of the other camps had cleared out. We went back to the humps, trolled up a couple stripers, then spooned a school and pulled about 15 stripers out. We also trolled up a few fish at the mudline just down from Hite. We figured the trip was complete, so we cleaned the boat, packed up camp, and went to Stan's for a burger.

I love these trips. I get questioned rather frequently about fishing during the deer hunt. Those silly deer hunters just don't understand.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    495.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2270.JPG
    IMG_2270.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    511.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2300.JPG
    IMG_2300.JPG
    518.7 KB · Views: 85
nice meeting your group as well. I was sitting on that hump Saturday when the A10's came out of Farleys right over the top of me, what a sight! I would sure hate to have them after me, impressive firepower for sure! I had a good trip, Friday was a bust for me sitting in parking lot waiting for wind to die down, Sat and Sunday were great weather days. I caught a little of everything, never saw a boil, that is an impressive one you got into. some great crappie you guys caught, crappie and catfish were no show for me.

Last edited:
We tried to make it North on Saturday morning in our 29' cabin cruiser(didn't trust launching it at Hite), but a bad head gasket on one of the engines(thank goodness it has two), shut us down at Knowles. We played with the baby bass there, but didn't have much success even at that. Weather was nice both Sat. and Sunday, but fishing was not productive for us.

Awesome job, to much fun. Was the cleaning station open?
No. :(

We ended up filleting all the rest of the catch at the primitive boat ramp or out on the lake.

There is a group of coyotes hanging out at the primitive ramp. They wait for boats to launch / load, then run down and scavenge whatever might be left behind. They are staying very well fed on fish carcasses right now!!

PBH
I have a 32" filet board for my Nitro 188. I bought the board from Bass Pro or Cabelas, can't remember. It came with a 2" alum folding stand pipe. I drilled a 2" hole in my gunnel and it stands at belly height. I have a couple 1" straps the help stabilize it by clicking into some hardware already on the gunnel. I store it in the center "ski storage" compartment on the floor, totally out of the way. It sets up in a minute or two. I plug my 12v electric knife into the cig lighter and am able to clean fish wherever......which for me, is in 60' of water well away from camp or the houseboat. I never use the fish cleaning stations....mine is easier, faster and always with me. Chuck

we keep a couple pieces of sanded plywood for filet boards in my ski / rod storage locker too. I just don't like fileting in my boat -- I worry about blood and crud in the boat. How do you handle that? is your setup so that all that crud ends up in the water vs. in the boat?

I'd love to see some pics.

A group of us camped in Scorup last week and fished from Popcorn to White. We couldn't find crappie at all. What was the depth of the" hump" that you found them on?

A group of us camped in Scorup last week and fished from Popcorn to White. We couldn't find crappie at all. What was the depth of the" hump" that you found them on?

What about everything else? Was Good Hope better than farther North?

PBH
I have a 32" filet board for my Nitro 188. I bought the board from Bass Pro or Cabelas, can't remember. It came with a 2" alum folding stand pipe. I drilled a 2" hole in my gunnel and it stands at belly height. I have a couple 1" straps the help stabilize it by clicking into some hardware already on the gunnel. I store it in the center "ski storage" compartment on the floor, totally out of the way. It sets up in a minute or two. I plug my 12v electric knife into the cig lighter and am able to clean fish wherever......which for me, is in 60' of water well away from camp or the houseboat. I never use the fish cleaning stations....mine is easier, faster and always with me. Chuck
I got a processing table for the pontoon at Basspro. Also have electric knife . I hook the live well pump to the table and route the drain overboard. http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-folding-processing-table-1605250815-1

What about everything else? Was Good Hope better than farther North?
Green bass large and small where there to be had with some effort. Top water, wacky sencos, and deep diving cranks. A couple of walleye on jigging spoons while looking for stripers which were not schooled up for long. We hit White on a windy day so we didn't fish there long. 2 and 4 Mile, Scorup, Ticaboo and rocky points in GHB were productive.

PBH

Fillet board pictures from Chuck

filletbd1.jpg fillerbd2.jpg filletbd3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back