Hite October 10-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopH20

My wife and I took our 5th wheel and Lund to Hite on Tuesday and stayed through Friday morning. The ramp at the south end of the Hite shoreline was pretty good for launching. The improvised dirt ramp has a fairly shallow slope so you may need to back into the water a ways to float your boat. My wife was able to back me in so we didn't have any trouble launching.

On Tuesday afternoon I went down lake to 2 Mile and 4 Mile and fished the structure for bass and walleye. I caught quite a few SMB with a few over 2 pounds. I got 3 walleye up to 18 inches. On Wednesday the day dawned bright and sunny with light winds. I went down to the Red Canyon area and fished the main channel shoreline on the east side of the lake. Again the SMB were the main takers with a few LMB thrown in for good measure. I got one LMB of about 3 pounds on a Rapala Skitter Rap in shad pattern. TopH20 at it's best.

Thursday was another beautiful day however the winds did pick up a little in the afternoon. I fished the Red Canyon area again and had very good success on the bass with Rattlin' Raps and 3.5 inch tube jigs in the crayfish colors on 1/4 oz. jigheads. I also caught a few nice walleye with the same presentations. I tried looking for some crappie but I was not able to find any.

I didn't target the stripers at all and I didn't see any boil activity during my time on the water. I was able to place my 5th wheel trailer near the boat ramp and about 75 feet from the water. I was close enough to the shore that I was able to pull my boat up to the beach and not have to launch and retrieve the boat each day. There were several other fishermen in the area and I saw quite a few boats come uplake from Bullfrog. I found the water temps in the Red Canyon area were about 66 to 67 degrees. Visibility where I fished was about 6 to 8 feet. The water is somewhat turbid in the Hite area down to about the Striper City corner.

A friend from Price who was trolling for stripers found a few in North Wash even though the water clarity was not real good with about 2 feet of visibility in the main channel about 1/2 mile from the main lake.

I crossed the gravel bar at the mouth of North Wash in several places and it was 12 to 14 feet deep. There is a very steep drop off to the main channel stream bed where the Colorado River flow cut down through the silt. The river channel is about 35 to 38 feet deep at the mouth of North Wash. After you cross the gravel bar, the depth increases in North Wash to about 40 feet. There is a lot of submerged brush in the back of North Wash. There were shad all over but I didn't catch any fish at all back there when I fished for about 30 minutes on Thursday afternoon.

Thanks for the report. I'm waiting till tomorrow to go. Waiting for the W to die down. Planning on fishing for SMB, LMB, and walleye. Pretty much the same as what you were doing. If I see a boil I'll be on that too. Will be fishing Sunday through Tuesday. Plan on fishing from Whites to GHB and all around GHB. I'll try your lure selection and try to duplicate the results. Thanks again!

thanks for report. good to see a positive report out of the North, just to much food is my feeling. Nice to hear Hite is holding up for launching. Were you picking up Walleyes off the shore lines shallow? thanks

thanks for report. good to see a positive report out of the North, just to much food is my feeling. Nice to hear Hite is holding up for launching. Were you picking up Walleyes off the shore lines shallow? thanks
I got the walleye mostly with the tube jigs while fishing some rocky, windy points in about 10 to 14 feet of water. I lost a really nice 20 incher when I couldn't handle my net with my painted-on left hand.....such is life.

thanks for the information, sounds like a good walleye chop on the rocks worked out! need to get down soon and try my luck.

thanks for the report Mike. we'll be heading out Thursday evening. I'm still stressing about launching from Hite....

thanks for the report Mike. we'll be heading out Thursday evening. I'm still stressing about launching from Hite....
I don't think you'll have any problem launching your fancy boat. Just have the tow vehicle driver back in far enough to float the boat. My Lund needs more water than your boat and we really didn't have any trouble. My truck's back bumper was just barely in the water when the boat floated free.
Are you staying long enough to meet up at Blue Notch next Monday? I should be there by about noon, October 30.

we'll be long gone by the 30th. We'll be there 20 - 23. We'll be leaving Monday, so most likely won't be driving down to Blue Notch -- any fishing Monday morning would be close to Hite.

we'll be long gone by the 30th. We'll be there 20 - 23. We'll be leaving Monday, so most likely won't be driving down to Blue Notch -- any fishing Monday morning would be close to Hite.
I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you might be going to Hite on the Thursday prior to the gill netting project. Have fun and catch a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back