Hite/ bullfrog report 10-24 to 10-27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Jarvis

Arrived at Hite Thursday about noon only to find out that the water was too low to launch my 20 ft Lund, so we drove to bullfrog, too late to launch. Fri AM fished Dome rock, Moki canyon, bullfrog bay no luck, not even a bite. did manage to find a small school of stripers in the first canyon west of the short boat ramp at bullfrog marina. we caught 3 stripers on a white twister jig caught one the next day in the same canyon. fishing very very slow everyone had the same sad story, no fish. we tried every thing we had including anchovies only had luck with the white twister jig burned back to the boat as fast as you could reel, couldn.t even get a bite on my famous whoop ploper!! water temp 63 degrees 3 great days of weather! left Sunday after being skunked and watched the bad weather role in. Dennis from Grand Jct co

I'll second the slow striper action. I did find a few of the stripers harassing the schools of shad in Moki Canyon and caught a few when they would boil for a few minutes. I followed the shad from the shore and when I saw the school act more anxious, I would throw a jig out into it, which would initiate the quick boil . But two days later, this technique was worthless.
Best fishing I had was for large catfish under the docks at Bullfrog in about 118' of water, right on the bottom. I suspended an anchovy just at bottom level so it tapped and rose from the bottom with the rocking of the boat. The bite was light so I had to watch the rod tips carefully. I did have few runners but they tended to be the smaller fish. The bite remained consistent through the day and into the night. Got some good sun and some pages read in between.
bullfrog cat.jpg

I'll second the slow striper action. I did find a few of the stripers harassing the schools of shad in Moki Canyon and caught a few when they would boil for a few minutes. I followed the shad from the shore and when I saw the school act more anxious, I would throw a jig out into it, which would initiate the quick boil . But two days later, this technique was worthless.
Best fishing I had was for large catfish under the docks at Bullfrog in about 118' of water, right on the bottom. I suspended an anchovy just at bottom level so it tapped and rose from the bottom with the rocking of the boat. The bite was light so I had to watch the rod tips carefully. I did have few runners but they tended to be the smaller fish. The bite remained consistent through the day and into the night. Got some good sun and some pages read in between.
View attachment 6297
Oh, man, that cat looks either pregnant or stuffed with shad!

I just got back from a week in GHB and the fishing was incredible! We fished boils every day catching stripers smallmouth and largemouth in the same boil! Also some amazing crappie the biggest was 1lb12oz! It was so cold but worth it! One day we went north to white and Farley canyon with no luck at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from a week in GHB and the fishing was incredible! We fished boils every day catching stripers smallmouth and largemouth in the same boil! Also some amazing crappie the biggest was 1lb12oz! It was so cold but worth it! One day we went north to white and Farley canyon with no luck at all.
This story seems somewhat familiar

Thanks for the report. Headed down to the lake tomorrow. That sounds like a nice Crappie. What was the lure of choice for Crappie while you were there? I appreciate the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back