Historical snowpack data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I learned: I don’t know the correct definition of “snowpack”!
“4.2.1 Snowpack Description
A snowpack can be described in many different ways. Although snow depths can be easily measured, the snow water equivalent (SWE in mm) is the more relevant property of a snowpack for most snow hydrological questions since the SWE is the water content in snow that directly contributes to runoff. The SWE is defined as the amount of liquid water that would be obtained upon complete melting of the snowpack per unit ground surface area.”

Interesting to look at past snowpack data for the basins feeding into Lake Powell. This doesn’t reflect water content, as far as I can tell, just snowpack. However, western Colorado had a downpour of rain up to 7,000 feet and lots of wet snow above that this weekend, so snowpack should be pretty solid this year.

An early gift to the lake right now, the Colorado is flowing well, and tributaries like Plateau creek were flowing hard, but all real muddy. A couple of more feet of snow on top of the Grand Mesa if not more in the last week alone, I bet it is getting close to 120% or more, another storm expected wed-Friday, and another forecasted for the week following. Looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back