help / info piute farms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike p

Years ago I fished an area of the lake I believe was refereed to as Piute Farms. Does this sound familiar to anyone and is it accessible ? Would you go out of page to get there ? I recall some great large mouth there, would like to return this spring...thanks for the help ?

Piute Farms is up 20 miles or so from Piute Bay and is a river only. The lake ends at the Great Bend around Alcove Canyon. Check it out on a map found on this site. It was a great bass spot, probably good for cats as its still accessible via Navajo Rez roads, ranger

There is an old boat ramp at the former site of the Piute Farms Marina. It is about 25 miles down a very rough dirt road from Gouldings Trading Post. I have launched there several times but the water level required for launch is no less than 3685' ( about 90' above our current level). You are right, the fishing was very good and the only draw back was the rough road and the frequent break ins to parked vehicles and camp raids. Be fun to go back but we're gonna need a couple big run off years.
Chuck Fulton

There is an old boat ramp at the former site of the Piute Farms Marina. It is about 25 miles down a very rough dirt road from Gouldings Trading Post. I have launched there several times but the water level required for launch is no less than 3685' ( about 90' above our current level). You are right, the fishing was very good and the only draw back was the rough road and the frequent break ins to parked vehicles and camp raids. Be fun to go back but we're gonna need a couple big run off years.
Chuck Fulton
That road can shake out your fillings. If you don't have squeeks and noises in your tow vehicle, you will after you travel this road. I would love to see a few incredible wet winters to make this entire area usable again.

Chuck Fulton
we got to fish there for a few years it great fishing and boat camping bill is right we probably had half dozen windows broke out it was no problem when marina was there last time we went got stuck on a sand bar had to get pulled off

A few years back, a lady wrote a book about that area called "Floating Hogans". She and her husband managed the marina there for the short time it was open. If you have a little time, it is a good read.

Chuck Fulton
I have been trying to find physical remnants of the marina, where is the old ramp?

Last edited:
I have been trying to find physical remnants of the marina, where is the old ramp?

The only working landmark is Clay Hills Crossing which is upriver about 3 miles from the old ramp. Clay Hills is on the North side of the river and the old ramp would be about 3 miles Southwest. The best option is to drive in on the old marina road starting at Oljato Trading Post.
Take a look at the Stan Jones Lake Powell Map to see the old road and the map lake level is at an elevation of 3690.

The only working landmark is Clay Hills Crossing which is upriver about 3 miles from the old ramp. Clay Hills is on the North side of the river and the old ramp would be about 3 miles Southwest. The best option is to drive in on the old marina road starting at Oljato Trading Post.
Take a look at the Stan Jones Lake Powell Map to see the old road and the map lake level is at an elevation of 3690.
thank you so much!!

I've been there a number of times both by boat and vehicle pulling my boat. Follow Wayne's directions and you'll get to the old marina site. The boat ramp is basically at the end of the road ( it widens out into a parking area) and I'm sure it's still there. The NPS made them tear out the pavement on the ramp but I've launched a number of times on the dirt/gravel ramp.. The lake was near full then and above 3680. We'd go in, it was a 1 hour drive from the trading post , on the dirt road and shore camp somewhere within a 1/2 mile of the ramp. Someone above mentioned broken windows. That was the big problem with leaving your camp or vehicle to fish. You'd come back to missing gas, tires, trailer spares, camp equipment, etc. A good clue you are at the parking area will be the broken window glass on the ground in the parking area....I'd guess there is still lots of it. Chuck

I cannot recall the last time I was there, but it was in August after a strong monsoon storm. The marina was constructed close to a flash flood basin and had been damaged. A rental houseboat had been flipped, and indians were living in other ones. It was not an encouraging site. I am thinking it was around 1991, because after that in 1992 the lake level was too low to reach the marina by water. The road out of Piute Farms is an adventure on its own.

I cannot recall the last time I was there, but it was in August after a strong monsoon storm. The marina was constructed close to a flash flood basin and had been damaged. A rental houseboat had been flipped, and indians were living in other ones. It was not an encouraging site. I am thinking it was around 1991, because after that in 1992 the lake level was too low to reach the marina by water. The road out of Piute Farms is an adventure on its own.
holy! not exactly the best spot for a marina haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back