Happy Thanksgiving from Striper City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure why anyone would rather catch walleyes than stripers. Walleye have to be the most boring fighting fish of all time...they skip across the top of the water with their mouths open as you reel them in.

I am not sure why anyone would rather catch walleyes than stripers. Walleye have to be the most boring fighting fish of all time...they skip across the top of the water with their mouths open as you reel them in.
Probably because some people enjoy the taste of walleye, no doubt stripers fight better but as much as I like to eat fish I just cannot bring myself to eat them. I'm glad that you and others like them. Walleyes offer much more of a challenge to catch, moody little turds they are. Stripers are great fish for everyone to catch , easy to locate not so moody. Please dont fish for walleyes stripers are the best I agree!!!!😉😉😉

Yes they fight like dragging in a wet sock, but they sure are tasty!!! What I have never understood is why people want to target trophy walleye for catch and release. What is the point?

The only reason I like to catch walleye is that they do taste good. But, truthfully, other than when I have been out targeting them for tagging studies, I am disappointed when I hook one and see it bouncing across the surface. While spooning for stripers, the occasional walleye hookup is better because at least they pull down a bit.

I just can't imagine going to Powell and targeting anything other than stripers or crappie. I am almost always disappointed with anything but those two species...

We were there for the whole week. Don't remember seeing anybody on Thursday. Our houseboat was parked at the horn. Only fished the Trachyte area in the afternoon. We did well on walleyes, crappies, and stripers on the bank behind your son in the first picture. Fished from the back of Red to 2 mile in the mornings scouting for places for the wife to fish. Never found any place close to as good as the above mentioned spot.
As for learning how to catch the walleyes, anyone that can catch stripers trolling can catch walleyes trolling. Just get yourself some Flicker shads and troll closer to the bank in 10 to 15 feet of water. I prefer the Flicker shad minnow pro series in pearl and purplish shades. Sizes 7 and 9 depending on water depth. If your not bumping the bottom frequently your not going to catch as many fish. We caught 70 or so doing just that last week.
The stripers were loaded up just off of a shelf in front of Trachyte. The shelf is 4 to 5 feet deep and would drop off to 20 or so, stay just at the edge of were it hits 20 feet. We would catch 2 or 3 each pass and had several triple hook ups. Wind came up bad Saturday and made the whole striper city area to cloudy to fish. Should be better by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back