Handling The Heat on The Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Sampson

Escalante-Class Member
Some quick history, I came down with heat stroke in 1978 when I was a field electrician on a job in the San Fernando Valley area. I have been wearing SPF rated hats, sunscreen, and rash guards for many years to prevent this from happening again. At Lake mead a few weeks ago when I was out all day long in 115 degree temperatures I was affected by the sun again, although not a sun stroke. I would appreciate any feedback from wordlings about their secrets to handling heat on the lake. Bart. I am not sure this is the right place to put this inquiry, so feel free to move it. I feel this could be helpful to all.
Thanks in advance.

Frequent dips and finding shade. I also wear a giant ugly straw hat during summer trips. The heat of the day is easy to handle, its the sleeping at night without a fancy houseboat and AC that is our conundrum.

Last edited:
I agree with the other comments and would add that those new-fangled fabrics that many athletes use that you get wet and put over your head, face, neck or anywhere else you'd like really do work to lower your body temperature. The fabric actually gets cold and is good for 15 minutes or so, then to re-vitalize the fabric again and make it cold again, you just get it wet again, so easy to do while on LP. I bought mine at Lowes. Examples.

Columbia Brand
Actic Cool Brand

I don't own either of these, but the technology looks similar to what I have in a no-name brand. And it does work. It's really just the modern-day Kerchief that Rivergoer mentioned.

Goes without saying, but the easiest/best suggestion is just to stay wet, no matter what your clothes fabric is!

Last edited:
A couple years ago I got sunburned on my bald head - thru the mesh in my safari hat. The kids and Gkids thought it was pretty funny. Used burn dope, but tea bags - soak and apply directly seemed better!! This year for fathers day they got an "Artic Hat" (as seen on tv) and I have been using it here - 6000 ft and 90-95 degrees - seems to work good - just soak every 15 - 20 minutes .I also got a cooling doo rag years back - use it too. Don't forget the SPF under the chin, ears etc - for the reflections off the water!!!

I like all of the above suggestions, good info. I like to wear long lightweight pants and shirts of the newer "high tech fabric types that have high SPF. When it is really hot, I jump in (or pour water over yourself until drenched) and wear them wet until they dry and repeat. I makes a very hot day bearable. Sleeping on a hot night without AC we have used wet towels to cover us and it helps drop the temps.

Agree with all that, especially staying in the shade, getting in the water, wearing the long-sleeved light shirt, the wet cloth on the neck, and especially the hat. I always dunk my hat in the water whenever I can, and put it back on the head full of water.

My worst heat stroke bout was years ago on a hot backpacking trip along the Paria, carrying a heavy pack... on the last day after hours of direct sun just started feeling weird, almost stopped sweating, felt dizzy, pee was dark brown....and all that happened fast. I immediately took off the pack, got to the river, and sat in it for 45 minutes, while gradually drinking water and making sure I had some salts too... felt better after that break, but since then have been super careful...

...good topic...

Agree with all the above, wet everything you wear to keep body core temp down and use the shade.

Other quick tip for the night... dip your sheets in the water before you go to bed.

Where are you sheet dippers sleeping? Just bring the wet sheet in the tent? We've found that as long as you can sleep on the boat its pretty comfortable...

OK, OK it's a bit long but you asked... skip if not interested. I won't take offense.:cool:

Having had some experience with teaching desert survival, I can lend some suggestions and information to this area. As an aside, I once put a six-ship of F-16s into Doha Qatar having deployed from Spain. While we expected the temp at 122 ° , when the canopy went up we were caught completely off guard with a humidity of 80%. Enough reminiscing and on to useable information.

The body self regulates high temperatures with sweat which requires hydration, electrolytes to regulate, air flow and a humidity low enough to allow evaporation. Absence of any of these can allow the body's core temperature to increase and progress to thermal runaway which can result in brain or other organ damage and death. Heat injury is nothing to be flip about though I may not be able to resist myself.

Heat injury broken into three generalized terms by order of seriousness: Heat Cramps; Heat Exhaustion & Heatstroke aka Sunstroke
  • Heat Cramps while painful are the least dangerous caused by one or all of the following: Dehydration (sweating & lack of fluid intake), loss of electrolytes, and increase of core body temperature.
    • dark urine is the primary symptom before onset;
    • Most of our guests from non-desert climes often remark that while it is very hot they aren't sweating as much as back home. This is an illusion. They are probably sweating profusely but it is evaporating so fast they just don't realize it. This is the body's swamp cooler running on a 'Max Cool' setting. They are running out of water at an alarming rate. The same goes for electrolytes which are essentially the circuit board that regulates nerve & muscle function. Cramps may not be present before progressing to the next stage which is more dangerous.
  • Heat Exhaustion may follow if immediate efforts are not undertaken to both cool & hydrate the body. Symptoms may include:
    • dark urine
    • profuse sweating;
    • pale cool clammy skin;
    • weakness;
    • nausea;
    • vomiting;
    • headache;
    • lightheadedness;
    • muscle cramps;
    • rapid heartbeat;
    • confusion, disorientation and other irrational actions or even the appearance of being drunk (this may be very difficult to diagnose on the lake).
  • Heatstroke (Sunstroke) will follow if Heat Exhaustion is not treated immediately. The medical confirmation is a core temperature of 104 ° or higher. Many symptoms are the same as Heat Exhaustion with certain telltale changes
    • sweating ceases due to a breakdown of the body's cooling system;
    • the skin becomes red & hot to the touch vice pale, cool & clammy indicating a complete breakdown of the cooling system;
    • breathing shallow & rapid;
    • heartbeat still rapid but may change to either strong or weak
    • seizures
    • unconsciousness and death may follow if immediate treatment and medical help is not obtained.
  • Additional Risk Factors include
    • age - those younger than four still have an undeveloped temperature regulating system while those above 50 have a system that is less efficient especially above age 65
    • alcohol & caffeine hasten dehydration not the other way around;
    • sunburn increases surface skin temperatures and increase sweating thus increases the risk of dehydration
    • some medications are problematic;
    • a previous bout with heat damage (cramps, exhaustion, heatstroke) will increase susceptibility for at least a week or so.
Now for some Tips:
  • do not expect all symptoms to be present;
  • urine should be basically clear. If it is not you are already behind the power curve and must increase fluid/electrolyte intake;
  • use shade when available;
  • wear loose light colored clothing
  • use the cool dense lake water. The transfer of heat is quite rapid immersed in the water.
  • remember that the highest temps are usually at ground level and can be partly mitigated by being at least 18-24 inches above or below ground level;
Whenever any heat/sun problem is suspected act immediately to resolve it:
  • cooling the body is critical - many good techniques have already been mentioned in this thread;
  • hydrate with water/Powerade, Gatorade or any of the other products available;
  • if no signs of recovery within an hour seek medical help;
  • anytime the skin changes from pale cool clammy to hot red and dry this is an emergency and the person is in in extreme danger. Seek medical help/paramedics immediately.
With all these issues, time is of the essence. Once while in survival training in the Washington mountains during a cool month of March we had a fellow that attempted to show us how little he was accustomed to drinking. He became both dehydrated and overheated while working hard and being all bundled up. He reached the point of appearing drunk, unable to complete the simplest of tasks and angrily refusing water at every turn. He was finally forced to consume fluids and receive medical care.

One last war story: In 1974 Phoenix a number of men were driven by an accomplice to the Gila Bend Gunnery Range west of Tucson on a closed weekend. Their aim was to steal 20MM shell casings which were frequently ejected by certain F-4s and others. Brass was valuable as a scrap metal. The temps were above 100 and they worked hard with little water. In the meantime their accomplice was unfortunately arrested in Phoenix during a traffic stop. He did not inform the police of his cohorts situation as the whole affair was illegal. Finally in the afternoon he relented and told the police of his fellow conspirators. Arriving at Gila Bend all were in their underwear trying to shade themselves in the shadows of some Saguaro and quite dead. It took less than ten hours to kill them all.

FWIW,
Goblin

Last edited:
as it says "heat stroke". Your body is struck by excessive heat and you have to cool it down anyway you can. Damp cloth since evaporation cools or those handkerchiefs and towels out of the icechest wrapped around your head, or damp sheets. Take care of any sunburns or red skin since it is generating heat as well. And if you have no ac but ice and a fan, you do have an air-conditioner.
And of course, rehydrate.

Or just read Goblin's detailed info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back