Gunsite to Padre shortcut open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger621

Planning on heading to the Juan next weekend, has anybody been thru the narrow crossing at about buoy 18, east side of Gunsite and Padre, between the two small buttes, not the ridge connected to Padre Butte, before that? Thanks, ranger621

If you are talking about the the shortcut between Padre Butte and Dominguez Butte ,I ask Wayne the same question last year.
He said you can idle through at 3600' and on plane at 3604' if you know the exact spot to run through.

The Gunsite to Padre shortcut is not passable at 3605' according to someone else that replied to my question
last year.

At the end of Gunsite point into main channel theres two islands, you can go between those islsnds and the point. Last November it was around 30' otherwise you have to go east following main channel

They are not islands at the current water level, you will need to go around to access Padre.

It's funny how we all read the same words to mean different things! I read that the question is whether we can, at this water level, navigate between the point separating Gunsight and Padre Bay and the two small islands clearly shown in the google earth photo, which would have been about 30' deep last November.

I think it is still usable, but not 100% positive. It was usable on January 1 with plenty of water to spare. Lake level is down about 18' since Nov 1, 2018, so using your own depth, still should be 12' deep.

As Pegasus mentioned there seems to be some confusion as to what everyone is referring to in the Padre Bay area. Perhaps I can help graphically:

👇 The Big Picture 👇

👇 The front sight passage between Gunsight Bay & Padre Bay 👇

👇 Passage at the mouth of Gunsight Bay into Padre Bay or vicey versey 👇

👇 Passage between Padre & Dominguez Buttes 👇

👇 Two islands when exiting the Narrows (pointy end uplake) 👇

FWIW,
Goblin
P.S. With another rise of about 80 feet or so we can start talking about Gunsight pass. My first time on the lake I drove a houseboat through that one. Very nice!

My last trip up there I did not feel safe going between the islands and the shore on my ski. I held to the green and red. It was cloudy though and harder to see rocks...
It sounds like NPS has already moved the red/green buoys from that shortcut, so I would not chance it either - the "longer" way around is probably only 5 minutes more time in a houseboat.

And VERY nice work Goblin! A photo (explained) is worth a thousand words!!!!

Just a quick follow up, the short cut marked as "D" is open and is 13' at the lowest point I graphed. Bass fishing was decent, 3 of us caught 22 in 6.5 hours in the Last Chance area, the largest was 3.3 pounds, one crappie as well. We used the usual suspects, Jigs and weighted sincos. Water temp was 48-51 degrees. There are a lot of obstructions to look out for, I would advise to proceed carefully in the backs of canyons.fish.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back