Gunsight to West to Rock Creek 4-19-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyt

Managed to get through the wind storm on Thursday afternoon and night. Woke up to rain for 3 hours. Finally some sun on Friday afternoon. Bass were starting to make beds on Sunday. Spawning should start this week. Caught some nice largemouth in Friendship and Rock Creek along with some nice smallies. West was good as well. Usually Dove is good but a no go this trip. As Wayne said the water clarity is amazing. Wayne do you think this will alter catch rates and are we going to need different colors for this ultra clear water? Fish were much larger this year than in the past. I was throwing 40 yard casts. It is like a huge aquarium. Hopefully the rising water will alter the clarity. Quagga mussels were everywhere and dying and stinking. If you cannot find off color water, hang it up. Flouro, 3 in crawdads in green and senkos in green pumpkin and Ned rig on a Tx setup, chartreuse. Back in May.

"As Wayne said the water clarity is amazing. Wayne do you think this will alter catch rates and are we going to need different colors for this ultra clear water?"

I am way out of the loop on responding to Randy's Question. I promise I will work on finding the answer and really hope that the lake starts rising, which will alter water clarity, and I have no clue on colors needed yet. If anyone has a new color that works better than our normal green pumpkin, and watermelon please let us know. Lets work on this as a team of WW bass anglers and come up with some options.

Had my 50th wedding anniversary last May when I normally would be at the lake. Went to Greece for 10 days which was great. My fishing has been cut back but just bought a bunch of new gear and am anxious to try it out.
AND YOU DID NOT SEND ME ANY PICTURES, after all the pictures I send you. Saw TOM yesterday don't think The HOLEINTHEWATER is going anywhere. I guess the only way I will be going to Powell is in my Tracker.

The rule of thumb, and one that I have found to be true in the waters I fish regularly, is that muted, natural colors work better in crystal clear water. Pale olive over white for imitating shad, native brown color for crayfish etc. (In less than clear water, chartreuse over white for medium vis, especially for stripers. Blacks for stained water.) In blue water fishing for albacore tuna, it was interesting that we trolled brightly colored tuna lures to find and catch fish, then using live bait, we'd keep them around the boat. If you threw flies exactly the same color as the trolled lures, it was a no go. The tuna would only eat flies tied the same colors and usually slightly smaller and more sparse than the live anchovies in that 100 foot visibility water. The point being that I don't know if trolled stuff has to be muted or not - they didn't for albacore - but I do think that in clear water, flies and cast lures will probably be more successful if they are smaller and more natural looking. My guess at least.

A couple weeks ago when I went out I found the same problem Clearwater. I found it not to be a problem when I figured out that visually I'm not seeing any fish in the Clearwater. So it Doned on me. And what I did was I started targeting isolated islands and using a 1/2 ounce football head with a weedless guard. And fishing natural colors in a Yamamoto hula grub. That worked quite well so I figured why not bump the weight up I went to three 3/4 ounce and started fishing very deep off those isolated islands. Started picking up even more fish. When I'm throwing these extra large baits I'm throwing them on a stiff bait caster 12 pound halo. It is definitely worth a shot.

A couple weeks ago when I went out I found the same problem Clearwater. I found it not to be a problem when I figured out that visually I'm not seeing any fish in the Clearwater. So it Doned on me. And what I did was I started targeting isolated islands and using a 1/2 ounce football head with a weedless guard. And fishing natural colors in a Yamamoto hula grub. That worked quite well so I figured why not bump the weight up I went to three 3/4 ounce and started fishing very deep off those isolated islands. Started picking up even more fish. When I'm throwing these extra large baits I'm throwing them on a stiff bait caster 12 pound halo. It is definitely worth a shot

Now mind you this was before the Warm up

I guess another thing to mention is I fish big horn lake in Montana a few months a year and it has a lot of small mouth on it and it's very very clear what I like to use is . Rapala shadow rap in yellow perch 11 deep. I truly believe the key to this is the stop after the jerk. This is cannot be achieved without the right correct rod. In my humble opinion the best Rod is at a minimum of 7 feet long.when it comes to jerk bait rod you need to spend over $100 you will not get the correct action that you need Loomis makes A great rod. One thing you want to look for is a very small rounded blank when it comes out of the cork handle. The key is small but Stout. Taipan makes a great rod they're located in Yuma. I also Tie my jerk baits on a loop knot. A Duncans loop or a Paula not will work. It gives it a lot more action. Fish it on 8 pound floro. When you jerk this bait it needs to be a hard jerk and imagine in your mind with the bait is doing you want the bait to dive to a certain depth when you first cast the Luer and then you want to give it a couple big pops to get it deep and once it's deep then you want to work it The bait should never move with you turning your real it should only move with your rod tip with jerks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back