Great April Trip to the San Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.
My post is a little late because I was busy when I got back from my trip to Powell all the way to the San Juan. But I'm back and caught up, so here goes.

Departed Las Vegas Easter Sunday, April 21st, about 7:00 a.m. Arrived at Wahweap about noon, moved gear from truck to boat, and was on water by 1:00. Was able to maintain about 24-25 mph with full load in my 18' Bass Tracker. Stopped at Dangling Rope to top off with gas, and was pleasantly surprised to learn I had only burned a little over 5 gals getting that far. Made me confident that the 28.5 gals I was packing in would be plenty enough for my trip.

Continued on to bouy 56, where I left the main channel for the San Juan. Traveled another 25-30 minutes or so, and I was lucky to find the most perfect camp site ever, just before reaching Cha and Wilson Creek. Started setting up camp about 4:00, and was done by 6:00. Hit the water for some fishing probably 150 yards from where I was camping, and caught 10-15 small mouth over the next hour or so. Water temp was just below 60 degrees. Returned to camp, and grilled up the most perfect Ribeye I've had in a while. Water was calm, temperature was comfy, and there was absolutely no wind. That night sky looked like I could touch the big dipper from my camp site.

Monday morning I hit Wilson Creek. Went all the way back, and for the next 4 hours, I caught small mouth, large mouth, stripper and crappie. About 70 fish total in 4 hours. Water temp, at least at trolling motor was 57-60. Went back to camp, ate some lunch, and did a little boat riding because it got a little warm in the afternoon. Hit a cover for 25 mins that afternoon, and only caught 1 fish, although the stippers were everywhere in the cove. Crossed over to the other side of the San Juan, and went up a cove just past Wilson Creek at about 5:45. For the next 2 hours, I caught a fish just about every single cast. Did not matter bait, color, size, depth; I swear every casts. I would think in that 2 hour time frame, I caught well over 100 fish, including bluegill, small mouth, crappie, large mouth and strippers. Most fish were just off the rocks. Water was just over 60 degrees at trolling. It was one of the most amazing fishing experiences I've ever had.

Followed same pattern of fishing on Tuesday. Caught tons of small mouth. Same for Wednesday. Caught tons of small mouth. Was going to fish Thursday morning, but honestly, my left thumb was raw from holding fish by the mouth while getting hook out, and I had my fill of catching fish. So I took my time, tore down camp, packed the boat, and headed back to Wahweap at about 10:00. Was at ramp by 1:30, took hour to pack truck, then 4 1/2 hour ride home. Was back at the house by 7:00.

My first trip to Powell was a blast. Quite a journey to get to San Juan; but I was forewarned, and planned accordingly. Literally saw 2 boats my entire time on the San Juan, and neither was even close enough to waive and say "HI" to. For the trip I caught 10-15 crappie, 15-20 big bluegill, 5 largemouth (biggest 4 lbs), 5 strippers (largest 5 lbs caught on crappie jig with 4 lb test; took 15 minutes to land him!!), and conservatively 200-300 small mouth bass (biggest was 2 1/2 lbs). I even caught small mouth on a fly rod using crappie jigs.

I'll be back. Don't know that I'll spend 5 days on the San Juan again, but it was quite the experience. Couple photos follow.

Thanks to Wayne for pointers on where to head!!!

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    647.5 KB · Views: 181
  • campsite.JPG
    campsite.JPG
    685.2 KB · Views: 183
  • crappie.jpg
    crappie.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 183
  • san juan.jpg
    san juan.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 181
  • smallmouth 2.jpg
    smallmouth 2.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 173
  • smallmouth.jpg
    smallmouth.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 180
Sounds like an awesome trip, thanks for the report. I am headed there in two weeks with my grandkids. I hope my thumb is as sore as yours was!

Sounds like an awesome trip, thanks for the report. I am headed there in two weeks with my grandkids. I hope my thumb is as sore as yours was!
I would suggest an assortment of crappie jigs for the grandkids. I had no clue the small mouths would destroy a crappie jig the way they did. Black/Chadrouse, Blue/White, Green/White, Blue/Green did best. But I threw just about every color I have accumulated in decades of crappie fishing, and even caught small mouths on Pink/Pink, which had been in an assortment I purchased probably 20 years ago, and I don't think had ever thrown!!! Have fun, and be safe Dworwood!!!

Fishing in the San Juan was very good at that time, We left halls Crossing on Tuesday the 22nd, picked up our house boat (Tropical Heat) and went to the mouth of of the S.J. where we camped in a small cove. Fishing was great, runs of several casts with a bass or crappie on each cast. We spent five days in there fishing and sight seeing. However, we found on the beach close to where we parked the houseboat some buckets from home Depot and they were filled with old human waste. What happened to the porta-Pottie rules and how can this be enforced?
We then went to the Rincon and it also was great fishing for Bass. We put the houseboat on the bouy on Saturday may 4th but will be back on May 22nd. The water was getting stained from the run off of melting snow at Halls, fishing further north we had to go into the canyons and fishing was good there also.
:) Moe Jones

Fishing in the San Juan was very good at that time, We left halls Crossing on Tuesday the 22nd, picked up our house boat (Tropical Heat) and went to the mouth of of the S.J. where we camped in a small cove. Fishing was great, runs of several casts with a bass or crappie on each cast. We spent five days in there fishing and sight seeing. However, we found on the beach close to where we parked the houseboat some buckets from home Depot and they were filled with old human waste. What happened to the porta-Pottie rules and how can this be enforced?
We then went to the Rincon and it also was great fishing for Bass. We put the houseboat on the bouy on Saturday may 4th but will be back on May 22nd. The water was getting stained from the run off of melting snow at Halls, fishing further north we had to go into the canyons and fishing was good there also.
:) Moe Jones
I had my porta pottie; the buckets were not left by me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back