Goofy Gizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reed

So today went to last chance spooning for stripers. Weather was amazing and found some schools but never could really get them to bite hold. Dang full moon I think... Caught one and a few smallies then left go to Gunsite Bay. Same thing saw schools at 30 feet but no takers. Then I hooked this nice Gizzard Shad at 37 feet with my spoon. (Ok so I snagged him) Got me thinking, I wonder if what I thought were Stripers were perhaps schools of Gizzard Shad. Do they school? I probably should have weighed it I think it was pushing 3.5 lbs... They are strange fish with that mouth on the bottom.

Anyway another great day at the greatest place on earth.

Attachments

• gunsightgizzard.jpg
    gunsightgizzard.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 165
  • gunsite.jpg
    gunsite.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 145
  • decsmalls.jpg
    decsmalls.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 145
So today went to last chance spooning for stripers. Weather was amazing and found some schools but never could really get them to bite hold. Dang full moon I think... Caught one and a few smallies then left go to Gunsite Bay. Same thing saw schools at 30 feet but no takers. Then I hooked this nice Gizzard Shad at 37 feet with my spoon. (Ok so I snagged him) Got me thinking, I wonder if what I thought were Stripers were perhaps schools of Gizzard Shad. Do they school? I probably should have weighed it I think it was pushing 3.5 lbs... They are strange fish with that mouth on the bottom.

Anyway another great day at the greatest place on earth.
love the hat

My wife and I fished Lake Powell Thanksgiving week. We caught Stripers at the end of Navajo Canyon in the last large cove in 20-25 feet of water. We tried several shad type lures, spoons, anchovies, and finally using night crawlers with a worm threader and slow trolled at 10'-15' deep, we were able to catch a bakers dozen of striped bass on Thanksgiving Day and 12 more on Friday.

This was my wife's first time on Lake Powell.

They bit better after 12-1PM up until sunset.

Our first full day on the lake my wife asked if we could come back next year at Thanksgiving and stay longer.

Lake Powell has that affect on a lot of people.

Attachments

• Lake Powell Striped  Bass Thanksgiving Day.jpg
    Lake Powell Striped Bass Thanksgiving Day.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 45
Gizzard shad defiantly school and can be confused with striper schools. It has been a strange year as the normal schooling behavior for stripers has changed. I am not seeing the normal school patterns on the graph that have occurred every other year. I expect that to change when stripers leave the 15-30 depth and go deeper for the winter. Water temp this morning was still 57 degrees but in the current cooling trend that will eventually decrease.

I really wish you had weighed the fish. Sam Sherwood holds the current gizzard shad record at 3.5 pounds but this one looks close. Maybe we can get the record up to 3 pounds 9 ounces in 2018.

samsgzd.jpg

My wife and I fished Lake Powell Thanksgiving week. We caught Stripers at the end of Navajo Canyon in the last large cove in 20-25 feet of water. We tried several shad type lures, spoons, anchovies, and finally using night crawlers with a worm threader and slow trolled at 10'-15' deep, we were able to catch a bakers dozen of striped bass on Thanksgiving Day and 12 more on Friday.

Our first full day on the lake my wife asked if we could come back next year at Thanksgiving and stay longer.

Thanks for the Navajo Report. It is closer than Last Chance in the cold winter months. I hope to find them in Wahweap Bay and Warm Creek in December and January

So happy your wife was able to experience Powell and those stripers are fatties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back