Good Weather Source for the Rainbow Bridge San Juan River Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Sampson

Escalante-Class Member
We are staying on the San Juan River around Wilson Creek area in approximately 10 days. My crew has a special trip planned to Rainbow Bridge and I am looking for a reliable weather service, so I send them on the right day. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I've found the Weather Underground service (links on the WW landing page) to be very reliable (in general). I'm not sure that anyone maintains actual on-the-ground weather stations near Rainbow Bridge. The closest seem to be in Page.

I've found the Weather Underground service (links on the WW landing page) to be very reliable (in general). I'm not sure that anyone maintains actual on-the-ground weather stations near Rainbow Bridge. The closest seem to be in Page.

Yep this time of the year listening to the weather reports on your boat radios is the best bet as it will tell you in the morning if storms or winds are expected and if a storm is coming from what direction it is coming from... In the past we have gone from Rock Creek to the San Juan leaving RC in perfect weather and trying to outrun a storm on the San Juan and hoping to get a site and settled before it set in.. .once ran just ahead of a storm from Halls to the San Juan.. and once a fast and very nasty system blew in over Navajo Mountain while we were at Dangling Rope - eating ice cream - I looked over saw the storm coming and suggested we get going and back to the housboat in Oak Canyon ASAP.. by the time we got back to Oak it was a huge storm and George and the houseboat were pinned to the shore and it was impossible to pull the boat back up next to the houseboat - we had to go to the other side of the rock/cactus island and when he could safely get the houseboat off the beach George brought it around.. If we had been listening to CH 16 or the weather reports on NOAA we would have known this was coming and been prepared. Nowdays, with Accuweather, it is easy to pull up Accuweather on cell phones [as long as you have access to the cell tower on Navajo Mountain] and see if there is a storm in the area moving your way. Also it seems a storm might hit Last Chance/Rock Creek/Dangling area and be fine over around West, Wetherill, etc.. and vice-versa.. another reason to be able to see the actual storm track on radar to determine where storms are coming from and what direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back