Good Hope Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwc

Hi all, Jonny here , been a lurker on this sight for years, figured I should contribute! Fished up around blue notch / red canyon on 4/5 -4/6. Water temp was around 58 to 60 in the afternoon evening and 56.5 in the Am. Fishing was pretty game on, especially after 5 pm and again in the morning, slowed way down midday for me. Caught fish throwing a variety of things. Most productive tho was throwing a lucky craft pointer 100 on steep secondary points with big chunk rock. Smallies to 4 pounds and walleye to 23 inches . Pointer color was ghost minnow , fished with 2 pops and 2 to 5 second pause . Fish it al the way back to the boat , a lot of the walleye hit boatside. Senkos as well but the quality the jerk bait produced was way better ! Hope this helps any body heading Powell way!
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, also a relatively new member of the forums. Plan on camping in blue notch tomorrow and Tuesday night. Fishing from a kayak and along the shore. Appreciate the update! Hopefully I can get into some fish. It's been a long winter and I'm super excited to connect with some green fish!

Nice Loma Outlaw.. all the water I was fishing is accessible from the bank while camping at blue notch. And great protected areas for kayak fishing even if it's howling . Good luck !

Good deal, I camped at Stanton creek a few times last summer and had pretty good luck. I'm excited to try a new spot hopefully with out the crowds of bullfrog. Thanks again for the update, I'll report back next week with how it went.

Good deal, I camped at Stanton creek a few times last summer and had pretty good luck. I'm excited to try a new spot hopefully with out the crowds of bullfrog. Thanks again for the update, I'll report back next week with how it went.
Weather permitting my son and I plan on taking blue notch as well on the 14th. Like you I have fished the bullfrog area for many years. Really looking forward to fishing this area. Good luck.

Hi all, Jonny here , been a lurker on this sight for years, figured I should contribute! Fished up around blue notch / red canyon on 4/5 -4/6. Water temp was around 58 to 60 in the afternoon evening and 56.5 in the Am. Fishing was pretty game on, especially after 5 pm and again in the morning, slowed way down midday for me. Caught fish throwing a variety of things. Most productive tho was throwing a lucky craft pointer 100 on steep secondary points with big chunk rock. Smallies to 4 pounds and walleye to 23 inches . Pointer color was ghost minnow , fished with 2 pops and 2 to 5 second pause . Fish it al the way back to the boat , a lot of the walleye hit boatside. Senkos as well but the quality the jerk bait produced was way better ! Hope this helps any body heading Powell way!
Cheers
I knew there had to be someone who is a better fisherman than me catching some fish on Friday! Nice work. One of my go to lures on the lake is a pointer 100 in crystal pro blue. I throw it and troll it with good success. Unfortunately, I lost it Friday morning hung up on a underwater branch and the knot failed. I'll have to give the ghost minnow a try.

I knew there had to be someone who is a better fisherman than me catching some fish on Friday! Nice work. One of my go to lures on the lake is a pointer 100 in crystal pro blue. I throw it and troll it with good success. Unfortunately, I lost it Friday morning hung up on a underwater branch and the knot failed. I'll have to give the ghost minnow a try.
Ghost is the absolute color in my opinion. It will catch every species and its not overly flashy in the clear water. Good luck !

I am trying to find the Lucky Craft 78 XD pointer in chartreuse shad or ghost color. Tackle Warehouse has them back ordered until May or June. Does anyone have a source where I can buy one now. I only have one left :mad:

Isn't it interesting that we get hung up on a certain lure that worked last week and cant live without it??? I am sure there are a lot of lures that work just as well but his one has been good to me lately and I don't want to leave the dock without one.

Live Target threadfin shad in copper/silver has also been a good springtime striper lure for me.

S_65M_205_260x.png

I hear you, but I refuse to buy baits that don't run straight right out of the box or after I catch a couple of fish. I would rather be fishing instead of tweaking lure connections.
So they do run true huh? I guess there's alot to be said for that. When fishing is slow, I grab a rod and start tuning baits over the side of the boat while trolling. Keeps me occupied I suppose

4 lb smallmouth? Kowabunga! :eek: Sounds like a blast.

I have finally acquired a few Lucky Pointer lures, and I've tested them against Rapala Shad Raps when trolling. I having nothing bad to say on my Rapala's but the Lucky's outfish them EVERY time. Same colors, same everything pretty much. I tried both regular, and jointed Rapala's and the Lucky Pointers outfish em every time!

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post.. there are some very scary boat destroying reefs that are hundreds if feet off shore up in red canyon.. literally jagged shelfs like 8 inches deep under the surface ,the one in particular I'm speaking of is on the south side of red about 1/3 if the way back , there are others tho, but this one is so far off shore it almost ended badly for me, so that being said, watch you electronics , idle or both
! I have seen Powell destroy boats at this water level and lower! Also amazon has a good selection of pointers .. that is where I get mine since I live hundreds of miles from a decent tackle shop
Cheers
Jonny

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post.. there are some very scary boat destroying reefs that are hundreds if feet off shore up in red canyon.. literally jagged shelfs like 8 inches deep under the surface ,the one in particular I'm speaking of is on the south side of red about 1/3 if the way back , there are others tho, but this one is so far off shore it almost ended badly for me, so that being said, watch you electronics , idle or both
! I have seen Powell destroy boats at this water level and lower! Also amazon has a good selection of pointers .. that is where I get mine since I live hundreds of miles from a decent tackle shop
Cheers
Jonny
Yep thats a good shelf to fish too

I knew there had to be someone who is a better fisherman than me catching some fish on Friday! Nice work. One of my go to lures on the lake is a pointer 100 in crystal pro blue. I throw it and troll it with good success. Unfortunately, I lost it Friday morning hung up on a underwater branch and the knot failed. I'll have to give the ghost minnow a try.[/QU

Are you using the dd or sp pointer 100................. thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back