Good Hope or San Juan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Allan

I like many of you look forward to fall at Lake Powell! In years past I have always gone to the San Juan. I'm wondering about Good Hope this fall?

Why would you fish GHB instead of San Juan? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. My dates to Powell this year are Oct 10th-13th. Thank you in adavance for your thoughts!
Regards
Tyler

What are you targeting? I think walleye is better in GHB. SMB is probably equal.

I know Dungee is in GHB all the time. It might be a good year for me to go up and learn a little more about the northern part of the lake. San Juan has always been my place to be just for the fact that there aren't many people there.

I don’t think you have a bad choice between the two.

I choose GHB when fishing (usually going from Bullfrog with my little 60 HP Lund). But I choose SJ when I want solitude in the summer. This time of year both places will be quiet.

That will be much appreciated. As far as shore camping and tent set up some suggestions would also be appreciated. I have a 20' cuddy boat. We'll be staying 3 nights.

That will be much appreciated. As far as shore camping and tent set up some suggestions would also be appreciated. I have a 20' cuddy boat. We'll be staying 3 nights.

There are lots of bays in Red Canyon and really throughout GHB to anchor up a boat like yours....

Tyler,

My wife and I plan to be fishing GHB October 11, 12 and 13. Not sure yet if we are shore camping or "commuting" from Halls crossing, sort of depends on me getting a few things done to the truck before then.
In any case, we may cross paths! We usually have a SHAD flag flying in our off-white and silver Crestliner, with a silver Honda OB. We would be happy to meet you!

Preston,
We will look for your update...any info is appreciated. One of these days we will hit the same time you are there and get to meet you all!

airford1,
I agree three is not enough, but we are excited for three. I drove up to Bullfrog from Santa Fe County New Mexico Saturday morning Labor Day Weekend and met my son and granddaughter that drove down from Salt Lake City. Fished Saturday afternoon in GHB, camped one night, fished till 2PM in GHB, loaded the boat Sunday afternoon, ate a frog burger at the Lodge and headed to New Mexico! If we had not caught a lot of fish, I am not sure I would be so happy about this short trip! The three days my wife and I have coming up seems to be a better approach! lol

Attachments

• IMG_4071.JPG
    IMG_4071.JPG
    690 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Changed our trip to the 19th-22nd. Gonna wait for the water to cool a bit and miss this rain...

Preston,
I agree with your decision to miss this week! I'm hoping it will have passed next week! I made a bad call this spring and went down on one of those really windy weeks. We made it back to the ramp okay but the waves pushed my boat into the ramp causing an expensive repair:(

Attachments

• IMG_1432[1].JPG
    IMG_1432[1].JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 84
We have had a change of plans. Due to a combination of weather, truck issues I have not had time to fix and some work conflicts, we are not going to make our Powell trip this weekend... sorry to miss you all that are on the water. We will see if we can make one more Powell outing before winter, but not looking good at the moment.
Good luck to all of you this week end! We will look forward to your reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back