Good hope bay report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub

Just got back from the lake fished Thursday- Saturday can't believe how low the lake is the main ramp at bullfrog is closed I don't know if it's due to water level or the shut down. Fished bullfrog bay and halls Thursday afternoon with little luck 2 stripers and a walleye went north the next two days and caught around 70 each day lots of snakes. Even the healthy ones had empty belly's. Around the horn was the most productive. We we're using spoons in 45-50 ft. Side note we went to 4 mile to cast a while for bass and walleye but all we could catch we're stripers. Great trip, got my son hooked, beautiful weather and great fishing. Never saw another boat first for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from the lake fished Thursday- Saturday can't believe how low the lake is the main ramp at bullfrog is closed I don't know if it's due to water level or the shut down. Fished bullfrog bay and halls Thursday afternoon with little luck 2 stipers and a walleye went north the next two days and caught around 70 each day lots of snakes. Even the heathy ones had empty bellys. Around the horn was the most productive. We we're using spoons in 45-50 ft. Side note we went to 4 mile to cast a while for bass and walleye but all we could catch we're stipers. Great trip got my son hooked beautiful weather and great fishing. Never saw another boat first for me.
What kind of spoons? Color? Size? Headed next week never tried spoons before.

Were you trolling to find the fish, or did you just mark the schools?

Sounds great. I wondered what condition the fish were going to be in come spring, they were already looking less than plump when we were up there the last week of September...

What kind of spoons? Color? Size? Headed next week never tried spoons before.

Look here for a variety of spoons:

http://wayneswords.com/index.php?op...:striped-bass-lures-&catid=50:lures&Itemid=11

Here is an old report that might help:

Graph for fish traces about 1/3 the way out from the back of the canyon. Find the traces which are usually concentrated in Winter, but widely scattered in Fall. As the winter pattern solidifies shad schools and adjoining stripers get closer together and easier to find.

The best technique is to use a hammered silver jigging spoon, a shad colored slab spoon (wally lure- shad minnow), a half ounce or heavier white marabou jig or anchovy bait. Drop the lure into the striper school at the depth indicated on the graph. It is important to measure line as it drops so fish suspended at 50 feet can be targeted. If fish are 10 feet off the bottom then start at the bottom and reel up 10 feet so the lure is inside the school. If no response, try bait fishing at the same depth that stripers are marked on the graph. Stripers will feed all winter long but are less active when water temperature is colder than 55 degrees. The winter catching peak is from November 15 to December 15.

Most fish in Lake Powell are accustomed to seeing some green flash in their daily travels. Chartreuse is very visible in low light conditions that prevail at 40, 60 and deeper depths where the spoon is so effective. A chartreuse bucktail completes the total package in deep water. A shad colored (hologram) spoon with bucktail looks like a shad at depth in low light. It has the characteristic movement of a wounded shad as it sweeps toward the bottom on slack line. It creates a vibration and a resounding "thunk" as it hits bottom. We surface dwellers discount the very different properties that sound waves have in water versus air. Fish can hear for very long distances. More importantly they have the lateral line sensory organ that allows them to FEEL vibrations. Swimming motions of a fish in close proximity are felt by other fish.

A spoon at depth must be a sensory overload for striped bass that are still hungry but have to left the shallows. They hear and feel a spoon hit and rush over to take a look. The wounded shad tries to swim off the bottom as it is jigged by the angler. It doesn't have enough strength to get away and falls back. The green flash is added incentive. The spoon is inhaled. FISH ON!

Were you trolling to find the fish, or did you just mark the schools?

Sounds great. I wondered what condition the fish were going to be in come spring, they were already looking less than plump when we were up there the last week of September...
Just marked them on the graph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back