Good Hope Bay 8/3 - 8/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinger

I've been following this board since Memorial day last year when I had my first experience on Powell. I immediately fell in love with the place and went back again later last year for a boils trip. Lake Powell truly is a one of a kind experience.

This time around we drove through the night from Salt Lake City to get to Bullfrog for a couple hours of rest before launching at first light. We didn't see any surface action on the way up before setting up camp in Ticaboo. The rest of that day we pitched jigs along the rock wall in Red Canyon, before switching to the main channel. We were getting hits on every cast between the bathroom and Ticaboo. We caught two 19 inch walleyes and more SM and Bluegill than we could count. Later we decided to run further up lake to try to find boils, but didn't find any. We made it all the way to the mouth of Farley's before deciding it was too shallow and to head back. After not seeing any surface action again we decided to troll for stripers to try to locate a school. We picked up a few, but didn't graph any schools. Saturday morning we went searching for boils and finally found a good boil in the back of Popcorn. They would be boiling there every morning when we showed up and would quit about 8. Still fun to fish a boil for over an hour. We returned to the same spot every morning and evening and caught them as fast as we could unhook them. Spooks were the best, but we threw a lot of grubs to unhook easier. After fishing boils we would clean fish for over an hour, my electric knife seized after the first day so it took much longer with a dull filet knife, then go fish bass till the evening. I have a lot more fishing pictures, but they're on a different camera.

We had a great fishing trip and caught over 500 fish, but had a terrible end. After leaving Bullfrog we blew a tire on the trailer and the trailer fish tailed throwing the boat off the side of the road and down a 40 ft embankment. The boat didn't fair very well, but the motor seems fine and I did a quick crank to make sure it still worked when I left Hanksville. If anyone is looking for a 115 HP Optimax I can make a deal. The trolling motor also seemed OK as well along with 3 seats, rod holders, and an anchor.

It was a bad ending, but the boat definitely went out on a high note.

-Kinger

Attachments

• IMG_20180803_110903.jpg
    IMG_20180803_110903.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20180806_074432.jpg
    IMG_20180806_074432.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20180806_075231.jpg
    IMG_20180806_075231.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20180806_195232.jpg
    IMG_20180806_195232.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 194
Sad end to what was obviously a fishing machine, I have to ask if you had transom straps on the trailer and did the trailer come unhooked? I lost a wheel on my stratus trailer years ago on my way home from the lake, and it simply dragged until I got stopped. I hope you had good insurance coverage on it.

Wow Alex,
Great fishing report and pictures, really sad about the boat, sorry to hear that, but glad you all came through it OK!
We pull the boat behind the truck with the camper on and I always worry about tire issues.

Was the trailer a tandem or single?

500 fish is an awesome trip. The end, not so much. Glad no one got hurt. I hope the insurance company treats you well.

So sad about your boat. Some one told me that ins, only covers your boat only as long as its attached to your vehicle.. Let us know how it works out? And what will you be asking for your outboard?

Alex
Were the fish you found in the morning in the same place in the evening as well? How was the air quality as far as smoke from all the fires? I know this seems like a strange question, but here is western Colorado the smoke has been bad and sometimes horrible. I need to get into some clear skies about as much as I need a fishing trip.
I have my old lund setting in the driveway for sale if you are interested. 2002 Lund with kicker inboard 4.3 mercruiser.

So sad about your boat. Some one told me that ins, only covers your boat only as long as its attached to your vehicle.. Let us know how it works out? And what will you be asking for your outboard?
The liability insurance coverage of the tow vehicle extends to a trailer that is being towed.

So, if you are towing a boat and change lanes and run into Wayne’s Ferrari, your liability coverage on your tow vehicle will pay to repair the Ferrari.

However, to have the damage to your boat covered in this accident you would need to have a separate insurance policy on the boat that has “full coverage”.

In this case, it is extremely unlikely that the tow vehicle insurance policy will cover the damage to the boat. You would need a full coverage policy on the boat for that.

Alex
Were the fish you found in the morning in the same place in the evening as well? How was the air quality as far as smoke from all the fires? I know this seems like a strange question, but here is western Colorado the smoke has been bad and sometimes horrible. I need to get into some clear skies about as much as I need a fishing trip.
I have my old lund setting in the driveway for sale if you are interested. 2002 Lund with kicker inboard 4.3 mercruiser.
You can look at the webcams and get a good idea of the smoke. Looks a little smoky but not too bad.

Sad end to what was obviously a fishing machine, I have to ask if you had transom straps on the trailer and did the trailer come unhooked? I lost a wheel on my stratus trailer years ago on my way home from the lake, and it simply dragged until I got stopped. I hope you had good insurance coverage on it.
Had all the straps on, but they snapped. Trailer must have really whipped hard around a curve. The trailer stayed connected even though the axle broke.

Wow Alex,
Great fishing report and pictures, really sad about the boat, sorry to hear that, but glad you all came through it OK!
We pull the boat behind the truck with the camper on and I always worry about tire issues.

Was the trailer a tandem or single?
It was just a single. I know in the future when it comes time I will get a tandem.

Alex
Yes they were in the back of Popcorn every morning and evening except for 1 on out trip. Only found two other quick open channel boils. The smoke wasn't terrible while we were there, especially compared to the SLC air right now. I wish I was ready for a new boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back