Glen Canyon surpasses Zion National Park in visitation, visitor spending – St George News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless they have a way to count after-hours entry, I'd say the numbers are very low. Most times I visit the lake. I come in after the guard shack is closed. If you spend any time at the Bullfrog slips, you will see a lot of people do the same in the summer.

Unless they have a way to count after-hours entry, I'd say the numbers are very low. Most times I visit the lake. I come in after the guard shack is closed. If you spend any time at the Bullfrog slips, you will see a lot of people do the same in the summer.
The other side of the numbers is they count each time someone comes to the park/lake, so the numbers are 'total' but count persons like many of us on this website multiple times as we make multiple visits - doesn't make the figures inaccurate, but should be noted. I doubt this occurs nearly as much at Zions (with no marinas, etc.).

The other consideration is how many people visit Zion, Glen Canyon, and the Grand Canyon in one multiple day trip. If Highway 67 between Jacob Lake and the north rim of the Grand Canyon opened one week sooner and closed one week later, that might boost visitation to Zion and Glen Canyon.

There are probably car counters at each entrance. Then they say on average that there is blank amount of people in each car.
I don’t think that would work at Powell. How does an automated counter take into account a boat trailer?

The other side of the numbers is they count each time someone comes to the park/lake, so the numbers are 'total' but count persons like many of us on this website multiple times as we make multiple visits - doesn't make the figures inaccurate, but should be noted. I doubt this occurs nearly as much at Zions (with no marinas, etc.).
Not talking about Zion, but I know Yellowstone does it the same way. And with the number of people that stay in a town like West Yellowstone and come in each day, that would be much more overstated for “trips” then Powell.

To me it makes sense to count each trip at Powell separate. If I am lucky enough to visit the lake 6 different times I don’t say that is one visit.

I don’t think that would work at Powell. How does an automated counter take into account a boat trailer?
It’s an electromagnet field that trips when the vehicle goes over it in the ground. Just like at stop lights. Look for a square cut in the pavement. Doesn’t matter if it’s a motorcycle or truck and trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back