Glen Canyon Closing All Public Boat Launch Ramps. April 6th 5 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TightLine

In addition, houseboat rentals at Wahweap and Bullfrog parts of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area will be closed beginning Saturday. Boat rentals were closed in those areas on Thursday.

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is also closing all public boat ramps on Lake Powell in response to CDC guidance, park officials announced Friday night.

The temporary closure begins on Monday at 5 p.m. will stay in effect until the state’s stay home directive is lifted, or health officials deem ramp operations can be done safely while maintaining social distancing guidelines.

The measure comes in an attempt to “to protect employee and visitor health and safety and provide resource protection by mitigating the risk of quagga mussel contamination to other bodies of water,” officials said in a statement.

Anyone with a private vessel at a marina can access them but will not be able to voyage outside the marina because visitor services are suspended on Lake Powell.

Some access areas at the lake will remain open for “shore-based swimming and water recreation,” the statement read.

Source KSL LINK
ABC 4 Link

Official Page for Glen Canyon hasn't been updated, and I can't find a official source yet. Will post it if I find it.

Last edited:
Where did you see that boats are not allowed to leave the marina? In the GCNRA posting as of 6am today, it says lake camping remains open with a few exceptions. Does it say this restriction somewhere else? I'd like to know so I can launch a boat before the Ramps close if we are allowed to use them.

Please let me know where this restriction is posted. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

On one of the FB pages it was asked why Monday and the FB page stated it's a large lake and they have to notify everyone out on the lake to come back in!

The same verbiage is on the Friends of Lake Powell Facebook site, but their link doesn't work.

All the assorted FB pages posted the annoucement, on one of them a person commented about "why are they waiting until Monday" and the FB page admin posted back that they have to notify people on the lake. This was an hour or so ago, I am trying to find it again on my phone, but that's difficult on FB's app. I don't recall which page it was, so I don't know how much knowledge the page admin actually has.

Where did you see that boats are not allowed to leave the marina? In the GCNRA posting as of 6am today, it says lake camping remains open with a few exceptions. Does it say this restriction somewhere else? I'd like to know so I can launch a boat before the Ramps close if we are allowed to use them.

Please let me know where this restriction is posted. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Put a Link to the source below my post to KSL and ABC 4 in Salt Lake. Click the ABC Link, that is quote in that article. The point of this is, Nobody is following the States guidelines. States are the ones pushing this, so don't blame the President. Debate it somewhere else. The NPS is abiding by the most restrictive order in place, city, county or state. So if you got issues e-mail your respective officials. But from personal experience Mitt Romney won't respond. I've gotten a phone call from my State Rep personally, but Romney won't even give me a staffer mass blank email response.

Last edited:
If you go to the news releases at the top of this page you will find the today's news release that states no private vessel is to leave the marina. It is confusing that they haven't closed the lake to boat camping as San Juan county has in their portion of the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back