Gillnetting Complete for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
We completed our 2 weeks of netting today in Wahweap Bay. We started in Good Hope Bay, then went to Rincon, followed by San Juan and Wahweap. It will take a while to work up the numbers and report on findings but the brief report is that fish were fat healthy and numerous. The high water year in 2017 was great for Lake Powell. Here are a few pictures from the adventure. Scenery shoots from Good Hope and San Juan.

Attachments

• sjreflct5.jpg
    sjreflct5.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 157
  • sjsunset.jpg
    sjsunset.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 156
  • SJsset.jpg
    SJsset.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 154
  • ospreydive.jpg
    ospreydive.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 167
We had a very unusual occurrence today near Lone Rock while picking nets. An osprey flew over and apparently saw a fish in the water, perhaps in the net near shore. The fish eagle dove between the boat and shore no more than 15 feet from the boat. It went completely under water and then surfaced and flew away. I grabbed the camera the second time it dove and got these pictures.

Attachments

• Ospredive1.jpg
    Ospredive1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 183
  • ospreydive2.jpg
    ospreydive2.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 182
  • ospreydive3.jpg
    ospreydive3.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 188
  • ospreydive4.jpg
    ospreydive4.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 184
I felt like the luckiest man on earth for 10 years while working on Powell. I bet that feeling comes over you often when you're on the water..You've made a good life for yourself. Wonderful photos.
We never did see the bird with a fish. Perhaps the fish was still in the net and he could not pick it loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back