Found: Sunken Camera from 2006 - images recovered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Belmont

Just came back from a week on the lake, and while camping at the mouth of Weatherill Canyon (campsite below) I found an old Canon point and shoot camera dried up in the sand, and since I had some time, thought I would see if the memory card could be recovered.

It took about a half hour to carefully remove the memory card from the swollen and rusted camera, and to clean rust and corrosion from the SD card contacts repeatedly with q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol, but was surprised to find that I was able to read the card briefly, though the connection dropped repeatedly.

I was able to keep it connected long enough to download the images to my computer before it dropped the connection again.

SO - if anyone knows who these people are, feel free to put them in contact with me, and I can send them their images. The last images made on the camera were on Oct. 22, 2006. I'm guessing it ended up in the lake thereafter...

I guess there are some advantages to digital cameras after all!

Last edited:
The way I read this...the first pic of the pontoon is @Joel Belmont ‘s campsite, all the pics from the SD card follow the images of the corroded camera.

Very cool story, just need a very happy ending...great post!

Pretty hard to believe the tech held up. Sounds like an advert in the making. Good job, Joel!
Honestly I was a little surprised too.. but SD cards are solid state memory... no moving parts. It did drop the connection frequently so there were some issues with it, but luckily I was able to maintain a connection long enough to pull the images off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back