For Northern Powell anglers: do fish avoid muddy water in Spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boudreaux

Do fish in/around GHB move out of the muddy water and concentrate in clearer water? I’d think maybe walleye would be happy in stained/muddy water, bass don’t like to move far from home, maybe stripers prefer clearer water? Or does it even matter? Maybe the baitfish like the food and protection of incoming muddy river water? Theories? Experiences?

I've caught SMB, LMB, walleye and Stripers all in really muddy water in Powell in the past. Fish tend to be shallower in the muddy water than the clear water and the muddy waters surface temperature warms quicker in the spring. I still prefer to fish clearer water but you will certainly be able to catch fish in the muddy water.

That makes a lot of sense! I’ll try it and report back in a few weeks (currently in Ireland, dreaming about Powell)

I don't believe that the fish themselves are influenced by the "dirtiness" of the water. The effect on fishing comes from their inability to see the lure that you're casting. In dirty water you basically have to hit them on the nose with the lure, the fish are still there it is just harder to hook them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back