Fly fishing for walleyes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used this set-up before at Pueblo in Colorado and also Lake Powell.
Either a weight forward line and I have trimmed it down to about 4 ft of the weight tip or used a fully sinking line. I also shorten the leader to about 4 ft. usually about 6 lb test.
The main fly has been a black or dark brown leach 2 1/2 " to 3" long with a weighted head or wrapped with copper or lead under the fur of the leach. Use just a slow twitch on the line, not a lot of line movement.
Find the sunken flat rocks or a good rip-rap shore line, canyon walls in the backs of the canyons.
This is also good for every thing else, Smallies,Largemouth, Catfish.... My largest Largemouth and Catfish were caught on this set-up, (in Texas) 11lb. largemouth and an 8lb. catfish
Now is also a good time.

Reactions: TR.
I have done well from shore flyfishing, but it is all about the conditions. Fishing a warming trend, everything will bite! I use an intermediate line and an unweighted baitfish pattern. The one that killed is a 2.5" unweighted sardina pattern I used in Baja (looks like a shad). Chartreuse over white Patterns about 2.5-3" long tied on jig hooks with lead eyes and fished on a floating line also work great. One memorable time we stopped the boat to stretch our legs, and I spotted a fish cruising just off of the rocks we were on. I grabbed my fly rod with a slow sinking line and small unweighted baitfish pattern and had a ball. Only fished for a half hour or so and caught these, all on the flyrod!! LP 13.jpg

Most of my walleye at Powell are bycatch. I love to eat them but I don’t really target them very much as I always seem to pick up a few daily and that’s is enough for me. If I were to actively hunt them it would be on a sinking line and as dorado said, a clouser minnow. I rotate through colors when the bite is off but my go to colors are white/white, chartreuse/white and olive/white with gold flash. I have done well on an intermediate sink at times as well. I have cought every species that lives in Powell on a clouser, so never a bad choice. I just tied up a box of Florida flies for a buddy this past week. In looking at them, this box would be what you would need 90% of the time at Powell. Have fun.

TR365F1763-620E-400A-B362-42DC63758DA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep Powell with a fly rod is awesome. I mainly fish with mine as well although I rotate through the day with different trolling and jigging methods. Technique may depend on water temps and timing. Where are you planning to go exactly and are you fishing from shore?

I would also say the clouser minnow is your best bet. I have done well with an assortment of streamers, especially ones with a flash. I'll target smallmouth and find points I can work parallel along a long strech of rocky shoreline and actually sight fish while the bass sneak out of their spot and chase down the fly. Lots of fun.

Theres also some decent articles in Wayne's archives about trolling with flies, which I have tried with much success.

The picture of the fly box is great. Not mentioned but in the pictured box are some poppers. I would get some of those. If you time it when top water is hot get ready for some serious action.

Sorry to chime in so late on this. I'm happy to hear of other folks fly fishing at Powell. I'm with Ryan, the Clouser Minnow would be my first choice. There's a bunch of pretty flies in TR's box (above) and I believe a few Clouser's. I've caught Walleye close to dusk while targeting stripers. I believe the pattern and time of day fooled them enough to bite.

I almost always use a floating line with long leader and couple more feet of tippet, 0,1, or 2x and let the Clouser sink and then strip that thing in using any number of retrieve types. Feeling that fly line tug out of your hand and setting the hook is about as cool as it gets. Kind of like hand lining with rod assist. Also, when retrieving, point your rod tip directly at the location of your fly, you need to have as much slack out of your line as possible when the hit comes.

Fly fishing Lake Powell won't give you the numbers that other types of faster more robust tackle will yield, but for each fish you hook on a fly the experience and connection with that fish is a truly special reward.

Ryan also mentioned using poppers. One of my favorite memories of topwater with a fly was casting a barbless popper into a boil, it was a very quick, long cast and I was ready. I ended up hooking a nice striper and fighing that thing while the boat was still moving at slightly faster than a slow trolling speed. My friend Hotwheels had an idle problem with the outboard motor and couldn't put the thing in neutral or it would quit. A fellow fisherman saw me and my bright colored fly line working that fish and when it was finally landed he got close enough to yell one of the funniest things I've ever heard. He shouted, "Now I've seen everything, fly fishing a boil at Lake Powell! That's gotta be the most fun a guy could ever have with his clothes on!" We all laughed.

:) Time to plan some 2019 trips!

For sure the clouser is the go to fly. I was thinking the thread was asking about from shore, where an unweighted fly is less likely to get hung up on the rocks From the boat I like a chartreuse over white clouser or really any weighted baitfish pattern, and a fast sinking line. I really like the jig hook flies that ride hook side up....

For sure the clouser is the go to fly. I was thinking the thread was asking about from shore, where an unweighted fly is less likely to get hung up on the rocks From the boat I like a chartreuse over white clouser or really any weighted baitfish pattern, and a fast sinking line. I really like the jig hook flies that ride hook side up....
Good points Dorado! I'm a big fan of hook up flies and juicy chartreusy on white as well. It's Monday, already missing the weekend where me and the kids got into some good rainbow trout. Helping kids catch fish pegs out the fun meter for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back