Flights Over LP-March 15 and 17 2019, water level 3570.8, and March 31 2019 water level 3569.39

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegasus

I was fortunate enough to fly over LP this past weekend while the water is likely at or near its low point for this year so I thought I'd take and share some photos - maybe it will help you'all plan near term trips. The first photos are from 3/15 and the light isn't great as it was late in the day, but there are some good photos of the Dirty Devil confluence, Hite, and of the San Juan arm. The lake currently ends prior to the Big Bend in the San Juan just past where you can see in one of the photos.

The photos from yesterday, 3/17, are better as the light is better. There are photos of the Padre Bay area, Gunsight, Face, Cookie Jar, Padre Canyon, Kane Creek, Dungeon, and Warm Creek. Here is a list of a few by number so you can get your bearings:

Photo #:
9 - Hite looking South
41-55 San Juan Arm
56-61 Oak Bay (what's left of it!)
78 - Face (note all of the lurkers)
88-107 - Warm Creek (note the skinny entrance from the channel and the rock right in the middle near the entrance, and the large rock right in the middle of the main bay)
117-122 - Cookie Jar
123 - Kane Wash
124-127 Padre Canyon
140 - Dungeon Canyon
141-142 - Rock Creek Canyon

Flight over LP March 18 2019

I added additional photos taken 3/31/19 from a lower 6500 ft altitude, with many of the photos taken from Bullfrog north to Hite, including the current confluence. Note, the mud line in the river is very clear in the Good Hope Bay area. The first 20 or so photos are from the Padre Bay area, Castle Rock Cut, etc, then moving north towards Bullfrog and Hite.

Flight over LP March 31 2019

Enjoy and I hope this helps you get your Spring Lake Powell fix until you can get there yourself which I hope will be soon.

-Doug

Last edited:
Awesome pictures. I would love some more low and slow time over the lake. I keep trying to take good pictures from our Lear 60, but the inch-thick windshield creates some distortion, and we are usually at 40 or 41K.

Thank you for the pictures. Looks like was great day to fly. Particularly liked pic 50. Captures couple of our favorite spots where we have fished for the last 35 years.

Awesome pics! Very sad to see the water this low though! Just curious what was your average altitude when taking?
Thank you to everyone who enjoys the photos as much as I do! Here is the official answer to the altitude question: started out at 11,500 over Hite descending about 300 fpm to 6,500 over Padre Bay. Photos of the south end of the lake leaving Page on Sunday were taken from 6,500. The photos are just taken with my cellphone camera. Geo data is enabled on the photos so you can click on them and see exactly the GPS location where I was when the phots was taken.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, I'm planning a quick trip to Farley Canyon this weekend and these give me the information I needed. Farley is clear, but White Canyon is a muddy mess from the recent rain/snow. Seeing these images surprises me how close White Canyon is to the Horn(just over the ridge).

I am not familiar with the canyons you'all refer to above Good Hope Bay - White, Farley, The Horn, etc. or even where you are referring to when you say The Haystacks - and I can't find a map that specifies which is which. Could one of you with the ability to edit/write onto a photo or map post the names of the canyons above Good Hope for me and possibly other South enders?

I was fortunate enough to fly over LP this past weekend while the water is likely at or near its low point for this year so I thought I'd take and share some photos - maybe it will help you'all plan near term trips. The first photos are from 3/15 and the light isn't great as it was late in the day, but there are some good photos of the Dirty Devil confluence, Hite, and of the San Juan arm. The lake currently ends prior to the Big Bend in the San Juan just past where you can see in one of the photos.

The photos from yesterday, 3/17, are better as the light is better. There are photos of the Padre Bay area, Gunsight, Face, Cookie Jar, Padre Canyon, Kane Creek, Dungeon, and Warm Creek. Here is a list of a few by number so you can get your bearings:

Photo #:
9 - Hite looking South
41-55 San Juan Arm
56-61 Oak Bay (what's left of it!)
78 - Face (note all of the lurkers)
88-107 - Warm Creek (note the skinny entrance from the channel and the rock right in the middle near the entrance, and the large rock right in the middle of the main bay)
117-122 - Cookie Jar
123 - Kane Wash
124-127 Padre Canyon
140 - Dungeon Canyon
141-142 - Rock Creek Canyon

Flight over LP March 2019

Enjoy and I hope this helps you get your Spring Lake Powell fix until you can get there yourself which I hope will be soon! This link will be available until 5/17/19.

-Doug

p.s. - on the flight down last Friday, we saw only two boats on the entire lake - one right up at the end as close as you could go to Hite while still in the lake, and the other in Padre Bay. Yesterday, just flying from Warm Creek to Rock Creek, we saw at least 20 boats anchored or traveling. The season is starting!
What were you flying?

I'll be flying down to the lake this Friday morning, and, weather permitting, will be doing a lower flyover of the northern end of the lake/Hite area and will take some additional/better photos as this seems to be an area of great interest for WW members. -Doug

Those low wings make photos more difficult. Lucky for me, my wings are up top where they belong! I will be flying down next week to repaint railings and get the water back in our little boat engine, oil changes too.

I added a link to an additional 127 photos taken today, 3/31/19, with many of the photos taken from Bullfrog to Hite by request (although there are a few of the Castle Rock Cut, Dungeon Canyon, etc before we got to Bullfrog. They were all taken at an altitude of 6500 ft. They are accessible in the separate link under the red text in the first post of this thread.

The current mud line is very visible in the photos among other things. -Doug

Last edited:
Amazing! Thanks, Doug. All the pictures are very sharp and clear! White is now landlocked and Trachyte is all but. There is an unbelievable amount of silt on the fan before Trachyte. I tried going up to White last fall and chickened out. It is easy for me to see why now.

I added a link to an additional 127 photos taken today, 3/31/19, with many of the photos taken from Bullfrog to Hite by request (although there are a few of the Castle Rock Cut, Dungeon Canyon, etc before we got to Bullfrog. They were all taken at an altitude of 6500 ft. They are accessible in the separate link under the red text in the first post of this thread.

The current mud line is very visible in the photos among other things. -Doug
Fantastic tour!!! great detail - we will definitely use them to plan our April 25th trip!!🙌👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back