Flight over LP - photos Feb 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegasus

I flew down to Page from SLC last Friday. We took a scenic route flying to the Green River, then following the Green to the confluence with the Colorado River and continued following the river all the way to Page. Flying back to SLC today, we flew from Page back up-lake to Rock Creek before heading north to SLC. I explain the route as I took a bunch of photos that you all might be interested in looking at - most are not very good quality, but if you click through the photos in order, you should recognize canyons and areas of the lake that you know well going from Hite to Bullfrog/Halls to Wahweap, then back from South to North for the final 10 or so photos.

My personal takeaway - the water is VERY low - whales are everywhere, and there are some lurking just underwater in places I would not have expected. Some popular canyons are nearly dry - Kane wash in Padre Bay is probably 1/3 the size it was last summer; Dungeon Canyon is nearly gone, and Friendship Cove is very small (and a ledge just underwater goes about halfway across the entrance). There is also a huge ledge right underwater in the middle of Warm Creek visible from the air - not really visible in the photos. Castle Rock Cut is shown also. The cave/hole in Last Chance is also clearly visible in one of the last photos.

Anyway, enjoy. Just envision flying from the Green/Colorado confluence to Page as you scroll through the photos in order. This link will be active for 60 days.

Flight to LP Feb 2019

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! I really enjoy seeing the topography from the high bird’s eye view. Interesting how the sediment has changed the river’s course up near Hite. It will be like going to a whole new lake this year.

Thanks for the shots. How do you like your Cirrus?
I wish it were mine! I'm just a passenger, but fortunately get to fly in it often. It's a very nice plane - SR22T model. Excellent avionics, speed, and load capacity and very comfortable for a big guy like me riding shotgun or in the back. My drive time from home to APM door to door is about 6.5 hours; flying reduces that to about 2.5 (1.6 hour flight time) - makes a weekend trip much nicer. -Doug

Last edited:
Great shots! Thanks for uploading and posting that link. I live in Colorado and we're around 100% snowpack now. More coming tomorrow. It's not mind blowing amount of snow but much much better than last year. Hopefully that keeps up and we get an efficient runoff. Maybe we can get back to 3600 or higher....

I flew down to Page from SLC last Friday. We took a scenic route flying to the Green River, then following the Green to the confluence with the Colorado River and continued following the river all the way to Page. Flying back to SLC today, we flew from Page back up-lake to Rock Creek before heading north to SLC. I explain the route as I took a bunch of photos that you all might be interested in looking at - most are not very good quality, but if you click through the photos in order, you should recognize canyons and areas of the lake that you know well going from Hite to Bullfrog/Halls to Wahweap, then back from South to North for the final 10 or so photos.

My personal takeaway - the water is VERY low - whales are everywhere, and there are some lurking just underwater in places I would not have expected. Some popular canyons are nearly dry - Kane wash in Padre Bay is probably 1/3 the size it was last summer; Dungeon Canyon is nearly gone, and Friendship Cove is very small (and a ledge just underwater goes about halfway across the entrance). There is also a huge ledge right underwater in the middle of Warm Creek visible from the air - not really visible in the photos. Castle Rock Cut is shown also. The cave/hole in Last Chance is also clearly visible in one of the last photos.

Anyway, enjoy. Just envision flying from the Green/Colorado confluence to Page as you scroll through the photos in order. This link will be active for 60 days.

Flight to LP Feb 2019
Thanks so much for taking the photos and sharing them with us! It was great to see them from the perspective of a plane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back