Fishing Regulations for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
This might be a good time to review the old fishing rules and find the new ones that apply this year or have been allowed recently. Here is the complete list of rules for fishing in UT during 2017-2018.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2017_pdfs/2017_fishing_low.pdf

I have added a few more rules that apply to Lake Powell:

This is a new rule that was allowed on Jan 1, 2017:

Pilot study on using corn as bait: Starting in 2017, you may use corn as bait at the following waterbodies: Cutler Reservoir, Deer Creek Reservoir, Electric Lake, Fish Lake, Flaming Gorge, Lake Powell, Stateline Reservoir and Utah Lake. Please keep in mind that this change does not allow anglers to violate Utah’s chumming or littering laws. For more information, see page 13.

•Dead striped bass from Lake Powell may be used as bait or chum only in Lake Powell.

If you are under age 12 or have a valid Utah fishing or combination license, you can fish with two poles at any water in the state during its open fishing season. You may keep only one daily limit of fish. Using a second pole does NOT allow you to keep two daily limits of fish.

Lake Powell: To fish across the state line at Lake Powell, any person with a valid Utah fishing license— either resident or nonresident—may fish any portion of Lake Powell, including the Arizona portion, without any additional permits or licenses. A person with an Arizona license will still need to purchase and possess a valid Utah reciprocal permit to fish in the Utah waters of Lake Powell. Arizona residents may obtain a Utah reciprocal fishing permit at wildlife.utah.gov and from Division offices and license agents that sell Utah fishing licenses. As long as you are legally fishing the Utah portion of Lake Powell, you may use two fishing poles without any additional permits.

•Dead mountain sucker, white sucker, Utah sucker, redside shiner, speckled dace, mottled sculpin, fathead minnow, Utah chub and common carp may be used as bait in any water where bait is permitted.

You may only use live crayfish for bait if you are on the water where the crayfish were captured. It is unlawful to transport live crayfish away from the water where they were captured. You may use commercially prepared and chemically treated baitfish or their parts as bait in any water where bait is permitted.

In 2013, the Utah Legislature passed a new law that allows anglers to dispose of carp and a few other species—particularly species under catch-and-kill orders at certain waterbodies— without violating the state’s wasting statute. If you visit any of the following waters and catch any of the species listed for those waters, you may dispose of them: Lake Powell: striped bass

If you have questions on fishing rules post them here and I will answer or get help from those that know more about other waters.

Hi Wayne, welcome back from Hawaii! Sorry we got a little rambunctious while you were gone :-(

On the corn as bait issue, we were told for years that fish cannot digest corn. I guess that's not true?

I know white shoe peg corn is very popular for fishing for Kokanee so I understand electric lake, fish lake and flaming gorge included. But why we're the others included, especially lake Powell?

And why were other more obvious Kokanee waters (like Strawberry) excluded.

I'm not complaining mind you, just trying to be on top of the issues

Hi Wayne, welcome back from Hawaii! Sorry we got a little rambunctious while you were gone :-(

On the corn as bait issue, we were told for years that fish cannot digest corn. I guess that's not true?

I know white shoe peg corn is very popular for fishing for Kokanee so I understand electric lake, fish lake and flaming gorge included. But why we're the others included, especially lake Powell?

And why were other more obvious Kokanee waters (like Strawberry) excluded.

I'm not complaining mind you, just trying to be on top of the issues

The digestion issue for trout was aimed at trout waters which Lake Powell is not one. I have not studied that but know there was just as much problem with trash being left on shore by corn fishermen. So between trash and possible digestion problems the decision was made years ago to ban corn as bait. Now we are taking another look at it again on a limited basis. You can now fish in these lakes with corn as a test to see if corn is safe to use.
•Cutler Reservoir •Deer Creek Reservoir •Electric Lake •Fish Lake •Flaming Gorge •Lake Powell •Stateline Reservoir •Utah Lake

These are mostly big lakes with more species than just trout. Its a good test to see if corn is okay in some waters. Strawberry is definitely a trout lake so that is not on the initial list of sample lakes.

Last edited:
Wayne:

I need a clarification on the smallmouth bass limit. I know the daily limit is 20, but is that the possession as well? The reason I ask is Arizona G&F a couple years ago upped possession limits to double the daily limit unless otherwise specified for a specific water. The only thing they say about Lake Powell is the limit is 20 so it is a bit ambiguous. Is the daily and possession limit on smallmouth still the same or is the possession limit now 40, double the daily limit. I don't see the need for having more than 20 smallmouth at a time, however I would like to know the exact rules.

Ed Gerdemann

Wayne:

I need a clarification on the smallmouth bass limit. I know the daily limit is 20, but is that the possession as well? The reason I ask is Arizona G&F a couple years ago upped possession limits to double the daily limit unless otherwise specified for a specific water. The only thing they say about Lake Powell is the limit is 20 so it is a bit ambiguous. Is the daily and possession limit on smallmouth still the same or is the possession limit now 40, double the daily limit. I don't see the need for having more than 20 smallmouth at a time, however I would like to know the exact rules.

Ed Gerdemann

Daily limits Utah Admin. Rule R657-13-19 This section provides general rules for fishing in Utah. Many waters have localized and specific rules, which are listed in Rules for specific waters on page 26. On waters that have a specific rule, that rule takes precedence over the general rules. You may possess a legal daily limit of dead game fish or crayfish as long as you have a valid fishing or combination license. Those who are under 12 years of age may fish without a license and take a full daily limit. You may possess only one legal daily limit of fish in number, species and size, from a particular waterbody. If you fish multiple waters in one day, you cannot have any fish in your possession that violate the rules of the waterbody where you’re fishing. When calculating your daily limit, please remember the following rules: •Any trout, salmon or grayling not immediately released is part of your daily limit. •A trout, salmon or grayling may not be released if it’s been held in or on a stringer, fish basket, livewell or by any other device. •Any fish that doesn’t meet the size or species rules for the water you’re fishing must be returned to the water immediately. See page 24 for a list of daily limits that apply statewide, except as provided in Rules for specific waters on page 26.

Additional limit in the field You may possess up to two daily limits of fish as you travel within Utah—or if you leave the state—as long as you meet the following conditions: •You are on an overnight or multi-day fishing trip at any Utah waterbody, excluding Strawberry Reservoir or Flaming Gorge Reservoir. (At those two reservoirs, you may have only one daily limit in your possession.) •At least one of the limits in your possession was caught at a Utah water on a previous day, and the fish were a legal species and limit for the waterbody where you caught them. •The fish from the previous day have been cleaned and gutted (entrails removed). If you fish at a different waterbody on the second day of your trip, you may not have any fish in your possession—from either day—that violate the rules of the waterbody where you’re currently fishing. This means you must always comply with the size and species regulations for the waterbody where you’re fishing and not have more than two daily limits in your possession. For example, if you have been fishing at Currant Creek Reservoir, (which has a general 4 trout limit), you may not stop at Strawberry Reservoir (which has a more restrictive regulation) if you have fish from Currant Creek that violate the rules at Strawberry. Here’s another example. If you go to a community fishery and catch your limit in the morning, you cannot take those fish home to your freezer and visit another pond in the afternoon to harvest additional fish. You may continue to fish while in possession of a full daily limit, but you must immediately release any additional fish you catch. Keeping fish at home Any fish species stored at your permanent residence do not count as part of your limit. Please keep in mind that this does NOT allow you to take home multiple daily limits of fish in one day. You may take home only one daily limit per day.

THE SMALLMOUTH BASS LIMIT IS 20 FISH PER DAY. IF TRAVELING TO, FROM, OR ON LAKE POWELL YOU CAN ADD THE 2ND DAY LIMIT TO YOUR POSSESSION AFTER FISHNG FOR THE 2ND DAY.

Daily limits Utah Admin. Rule R657-13-19 This section provides general rules for fishing in Utah. Many waters have localized and specific rules, which are listed in Rules for specific waters on page 26. On waters that have a specific rule, that rule takes precedence over the general rules. You may possess a legal daily limit of dead game fish or crayfish as long as you have a valid fishing or combination license. Those who are under 12 years of age may fish without a license and take a full daily limit. You may possess only one legal daily limit of fish in number, species and size, from a particular waterbody. If you fish multiple waters in one day, you cannot have any fish in your possession that violate the rules of the waterbody where you’re fishing. When calculating your daily limit, please remember the following rules: •Any trout, salmon or grayling not immediately released is part of your daily limit. •A trout, salmon or grayling may not be released if it’s been held in or on a stringer, fish basket, livewell or by any other device. •Any fish that doesn’t meet the size or species rules for the water you’re fishing must be returned to the water immediately. See page 24 for a list of daily limits that apply statewide, except as provided in Rules for specific waters on page 26.

Additional limit in the field You may possess up to two daily limits of fish as you travel within Utah—or if you leave the state—as long as you meet the following conditions: •You are on an overnight or multi-day fishing trip at any Utah waterbody, excluding Strawberry Reservoir or Flaming Gorge Reservoir. (At those two reservoirs, you may have only one daily limit in your possession.) •At least one of the limits in your possession was caught at a Utah water on a previous day, and the fish were a legal species and limit for the waterbody where you caught them. •The fish from the previous day have been cleaned and gutted (entrails removed). If you fish at a different waterbody on the second day of your trip, you may not have any fish in your possession—from either day—that violate the rules of the waterbody where you’re currently fishing. This means you must always comply with the size and species regulations for the waterbody where you’re fishing and not have more than two daily limits in your possession. For example, if you have been fishing at Currant Creek Reservoir, (which has a general 4 trout limit), you may not stop at Strawberry Reservoir (which has a more restrictive regulation) if you have fish from Currant Creek that violate the rules at Strawberry. Here’s another example. If you go to a community fishery and catch your limit in the morning, you cannot take those fish home to your freezer and visit another pond in the afternoon to harvest additional fish. You may continue to fish while in possession of a full daily limit, but you must immediately release any additional fish you catch. Keeping fish at home Any fish species stored at your permanent residence do not count as part of your limit. Please keep in mind that this does NOT allow you to take home multiple daily limits of fish in one day. You may take home only one daily limit per day.

THE SMALLMOUTH BASS LIMIT IS 20 FISH PER DAY. IF TRAVELING TO, FROM, OR ON LAKE POWELL YOU CAN ADD THE 2ND DAY LIMIT TO YOUR POSSESSION AFTER FISHNG FOR THE 2ND DAY.

Sorry Wayne but what about Crappie possession limit, on LP, 2 single day limits of 10 (???) if holding over to, at least , second day on lake???

Crappie, bass, catfish, bluegill etc. would be in the same category: one limit per day and another limit on the second day. Only two limits though in a trip unless some of the fish are eaten, then a few more fish could be added to make up for those that were eaten. It is much easier to keep track if you just harvest stripers and walleye. Those are unlimited every day of your trip.

Thanks Wayne. I rarely keep a 20-smallmouth limit anyway and would likely never bring home 40 bass as I don't like to eat fish after it's been frozen, but the information is good to know. I normally only keep what I can eat fresh although sometimes I bring home a few extra to give to friends.

Ed Gerdemann

Thanks Wayne. I rarely keep a 20-smallmouth limit anyway and would likely never bring home 40 bass as I don't like to eat fish after it's been frozen, but the information is good to know. I normally only keep what I can eat fresh although sometimes I bring home a few extra to give to friends.

Ed Gerdemann

I do the same thing with striped bass. I have a huge cooler with lots of ice. I catch stripers and put every one in the cooler because these fish are prone to overpopulate which impacts the whole population and reduces the forage base. The more we harvest increases the chances of the rest of the population being healthy and strong. I fillet all the healthy fish and dispose of any that are thin. (That changes year to year).

Freezing stripers is fine if they are in vacuum sealed bags but I live on the lakeshore so I don't freeze any fish. I eat them fresh within 3 days. The other fish I can't eat go directly to my friends and neighbors on the day of captures My friends smile when they see me coming. :) If you see me at the Wahweap fish cleaning station stop by and I will give you a bag of fillets.

Last edited:
I do the same thing with striped bass. I have a huge cooler with lots of ice. I catch stripers and put everyone in the cooler because these fish are prone to overpopulate which impacts the whole population and reduces the forage base. The more we harvest increases the chances of the rest of the population being healthy and strong. I fillet all the healthy fish and dispose of any that are thin. (That changes year to year).

Freezing stripers is fine if they are in vacuum sealed bags but I live on the lakeshore so I don't freeze any fish. I eat them fresh within 3 days. The other fish I can't eat go directly to my friends and neighbors on the day of captures My friends smile when they see me coming. :) If you see me at the Wahweap fish cleaning station stop by and I will give you a bag of fillets.

When I was a kid I got spoiled eating fresh fish every day on our Canadian fishing trips. I remember Dad going to great trouble to freeze our limits of smallmouth, lake trout and walleyes to bring home. I remember how they had to be laid in the plastic bags with the skin showing per Canadian regulations, and I remember him carefully packing them in styrofoam coolers lined with newspaper insulation. Those closest place we could get dry ice on our way home was in those days was International Falls, MN, a half-day's drive, and I remember stopping at the Sportsman's Service (it's still in business) there to get it. After all this trouble we discovered when we got home that we really didn't enjoy eating the fish we brought back - especially the lake trout which got really strong really fast - and we ended up giving most of it away. The funny thing is we did this year after year, and Dad still can't figure out why he continued to do it. We both agree that if we were to go back to Canada now that we would only keep what we could eat there. The limits are much more restrictive now than they were back then as well, making it not really worth the effort to bring fish home.

Since then I've tried freezing fish in milk cartons and vacuum bags, but I can still tell the difference from fresh. To me there's just nothing better than eating fresh fish you caught that very day, and nothing else can compare with that. :)

Ed Gerdemann

So, no change on the amount of hooks that can be used on an umbrella rig at Lake Powell? Still just 2 hooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back