Fishing is tough up north!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Sir! That is what the rest of us are finding. Lots of fish deep - bait balls and spoons are the best technique. Went out yesterday and found no boils in the south. Spooned up a few fish but not like the previous trip.

P.S. I like the bottom picture which allows you to to decide what the graph is telling you. The other pictures are what the graph thinks. Sometimes it shows the thermocline as a layer of fish. Sometimes it shows the rock wall reflection as fish. I suggest using the down image more and then you will know which fish are real. Yes - Turn off fish ID.

Last edited:
Yes Sir! That is what the rest of us are finding. Lots of fish deep - bait balls and spoons are the best technique. Went out yesterday and found no boils in the south. Spooned up a few fish but not like the previous trip.

P.S. I like the bottom picture which allows you to to decide what the graph is telling you. The other pictures are what the graph thinks. Sometimes it shows the thermocline as a layer of fish. Sometimes it shows the rock wall reflection as fish. I suggest using the down image more and then you will know which fish are real.
Also might want to turn off the Fish ID setting.

Why turn off the Fish ID setting?

Did the replies make sense to you? Having used sonar equipment for a very long time I can assure you that the fish ID will OFTEN show fish targets that are not actual fish. The only way to be sure you are looking at real fish is to use your sonar and become familiar with fish traces that result in captured fish. With a couple of viewing trips under your belt you will know a fish trace when it shows up on the graph. If you continue to use fish ID then you can never be sure what is shown on the graph.

Why turn off the Fish ID setting?
Take a look at the amplitude scope on the right side of the screen, immediately to the right of the depth scale. Compare the bottom picture with the ones above it. The scope is a live reading that will constantly be moving (target depth), and changing colors (signal return strength). In the upper pictures, with that flat black line on the scope, I would be curious to see it with ID off. Fishing FG, at a given depth, with a little time on the water, it is quite easy to tell the difference between schools of kokanee and juvenile lake trout on the graph. Kokes show up as bright yellow with orange outlines, while the LT show up as orange with purple outlines. ( Lowrance #1 palette ) I think due to the different air bladders? This would not be possible with Fish ID on. IMHO, it not only can be misleading, it also covers up a lot of valuable information. Lots of great replies to this thread.

The fish id was on to show a dramatic effect for my friends. They don’t really get it when I say that “a school was so big that it gave me a false bottom.” There were so many bait balls north of bullfrog all the way to the Bgh. I only caught one fish out of that school slabbing. I honestly believe the only reason that I caught him, was because I slapped him in the face enough to piss him off.

The fishing was better south, I believe because the water was clearer and there was significantly fewer bait balls. The only other place that I have seen bait balls in that abundance has been of the west coast tuna fishing. I am really excited for this winter to hit.

The fish id was on to show a dramatic effect for my friends. They don’t really get it when I say that “a school was so big that it gave me a false bottom.” There were so many bait balls north of bullfrog all the way to the Bgh. I only caught one fish out of that school slabbing. I honestly believe the only reason that I caught him, was because I slapped him in the face enough to piss him off.

The fishing was better south, I believe because the water was clearer and there was significantly fewer bait balls. The only other place that I have seen bait balls in that abundance has been of the west coast tuna fishing. I am really excited for this winter to hit.

Thanks for the explanation. You have my permission to use the Fish ID on your graph to impress your friends. ;) Your expertise impresses me. Glad you found a nice school. I am also excited about fishing deep this winter. I would be glad to get a few more boils next week as I venture uplake. WG

Does anyone have the water temp for BF or GHB? The LP water database hasn't given us one for about a week, and I know it needs to get below 70 before things will really take off. We're heading for the lake next Friday and I'm hoping to do some research before we drive the houseboat to GHB and just take our chances. Then again, there may just be too many shad to get the fish interested in our offerings wherever we go north lake. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the reminder. It was 71 in the morning and warmed to about 74 in the afternoon. Today it was 72 in the morning. I need to get after the guy that updates the temperatures. He is not doing a very good job of keeping up with the daily temperatures
Thanks Wayne, We'll keep watching WW and wait for your report next week. Then we'll decide on Friday which way we're going . We sort of have a GHB tradition for our October trip, but we're pretty familiar with the lake all the way to SJ so we'll just try to follow the fish.

Thanks Wayne, We'll keep watching WW and wait for your report next week. Then we'll decide on Friday which way we're going . We sort of have a GHB tradition for our October trip, but we're pretty familiar with the lake all the way to SJ so we'll just try to follow the fish.

I have to fudge the report next week since I will be on the lake from Monday to Friday. I will post a report on Monday with just the updates I get off the website. So I cant help you with the Friday decision until I get back that afternoon. I wont do the whole report but if I see boils anywhere look for a post on the Fishing Forum. I will gain information next week but I am not sure yet what it will be. This is a very unusual year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back