Fishing in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzer

Checking for a friend (as you won't find me there after October), What is the lake like in Mid November?
Weather?
Fishing?
Campground even open?

thanks

-Dennis

quiet.
peaceful.
solitude.

Fishing can be phenomenal. Early November is probably some of the best fishing you can get into on Powell.

Campground is typically empty. Which is really nice. Restrooms can be questionable, and you should take some t.p. just in case. I'm not sure why you would pay for the campground -- you're not getting any kind of service.

Weather is the big factor. Watch the forecast and plan accordingly.

I think most people have Lake Powell "season" dates all wrong. Lake Powell season is just like a "water" year. It begins October 1. While many people are getting their boats ready for storage -- I'm just getting my boat ready to go! :)

From the weather and camping side, the trip is weather dependent - we've spent many days on the water in November and December. If there are no storms expected, the water is unusually calm - glass much of the time, so daytime temps in even the low 50's are t-shirt/shorts weather if it is calm and the sun is out. And many days are even warmer. We've spent several Thanksgivings on the water, actually eating outside under the sun, as well as our annual Christmas to New Year's Day trip.

But winter storms are ugly, technically no worse than summer, but from a safety perspective I treat them much differently as 1) there is no one on the water to help you if you run into problems (including NPS), and 2) the water is cold enough that hypothermia would set in quickly if you were in it for very long. I personally treat boating that time of year as I would if I were on the ocean, pretty much planning on being able to save myself and crew and try not to depend on needing anyone else unless a major unforeseen emergency occurred. It's really mostly a mental change, and not taking any chances - if in question, don't do it whatever it is. Always wear life jackets, have an emergency pack, etc.

I will add that we've experienced snowstorms on the water the past couple of years, including over 8" last holiday season. They are even fun as long as you are dressed correctly and can get out of the cold when you need to.

Lastly, luckily, nobody on WW listens to me on how nice it is to boat Lake Powell in the winter months, so you literally may be the only boat on the water! It's awesome, calming, quiet, and kinda creepy all at the same time.

BTW - I have actually done some fishing during Nov/Dec also and have done pretty good catching SMB and crappie (for me anyway). But I'm sure others with more fishing experience can chime in on that question of yours. -Doug

From the weather and camping side, the trip is weather dependent - we've spent many days on the water in November and December. If there are no storms expected, the water is unusually calm - glass much of the time, so daytime temps in even the low 50's are t-shirt/shorts weather if it is calm and the sun is out. And many days are even warmer. We've spent several Thanksgivings on the water, actually eating outside under the sun, as well as our annual Christmas to New Year's Day trip.

But winter storms are ugly, technically no worse than summer, but from a safety perspective I treat them much differently as 1) there is no one on the water to help you if you run into problems (including NPS), and 2) the water is cold enough that hypothermia would set in quickly if you were in it for very long. I personally treat boating that time of year as I would if I were on the ocean, pretty much planning on being able to save myself and crew and try not to depend on needing anyone else unless a major unforeseen emergency occurred. It's really mostly a mental change, and not taking any chances - if in question, don't do it whatever it is. Always wear life jackets, have an emergency pack, etc.

I will add that we've experienced snowstorms on the water the past couple of years, including over 8" last holiday season. They are even fun as long as you are dressed correctly and can get out of the cold when you need to.

Lastly, luckily, nobody on WW listens to me on how nice it is to boat Lake Powell in the winter months, so you literally may be the only boat on the water! It's awesome, calming, quiet, and kinda creepy all at the same time.

BTW - I have actually done some fishing during Nov/Dec also and have done pretty good catching SMB and crappie (for me anyway). But I'm sure others with more fishing experience can chime in on that question of yours. -Doug
A couple of our favorite trips were in the winter. We fished from the cheesy 36' boatel house boat back in 2000 with a window barely cracked to let the fishing poles hang out. Snow all around and warm as a bug in a rug. My wife is not a lover of cold and she had fun.

The only good thing about short day's, are the great night's fishing that you can have in the fall and winter, on lake Powell. And the Quiet, peaceful, solitude day's, and night's, as PBH describe's so well. But the older I get, the harder it is to fish these short day's, into the night, and do it all over again the next day.So I'll kind of split it up, and go with what's best this year.
It is hard to beat the number's of fish, that you can catch off of the slip's in Dec and Jan, if you want to fish at night and fill cooler's . Like Pegasus say's, you might be the only boat on the water in the winter month's. But that don't mean the fish are not biting.
Winter is like the other month's, it can be unpredictable, you might catch them deep, or it may be in 3 or 4 ft of water, especially since the Gizzard Shad have been in Powell, and can live in the cold water better then the thread fin, I believe you have to be willing to adjust to the fish, at any time of the year, to catch them. But if your willing to fish all night, the Striper's will usually be there.
Looking forward to some Fall and winter fishing.
Have a good one.
KyKevin

The only thing I have ever figured out for sure about fishing is,''You never really figure it out.

So, we've heard a bunch now about how cold it can be. But it can also be really nice in November too! Like has been mentioned, watch the weather forecasts and plan accordingly.

Here are a bunch of pictures from some of our early November trips -- these are from numerous different years. Some days were sunny, warm, and beautiful, while other days were cold, wet, and....beautiful! The pictures kind of show the different weather we've experienced. The fish always seem to be cooperative, no matter how blue or gray it might be!

swbbSJb.jpg

9JnVQgp.jpg

IUZxAzf.jpg

lgmGHUA.jpg

UwPtgk9.jpg

yiF1ied.jpg

xyJa5li.jpg

z4asau7.jpg

0OLZMHs.jpg

45EIVIj.jpg

I like November fishing. Usually, the SMB and walleye will cooperate.

Ditto what has been said before. My first November trip is what convinced me to put a kicker on my fishing boat. I rarely see another boat once I get out of Bullfrog.

Mornings can be cool. Dress appropriately, and you will be fine.fullsizeoutput_b4f.jpegfullsizeoutput_b85.jpeg

Nice picture's PBH, and Ryan.
Colder night's, and perfect day's, have been the norm for me in November. And I have put off hot summer day's this year, only because of skinny Striper's. It look's like that has changed, with fish having plenty of Shad. So I have more trip's for the fall. Some of the longest boil's, seam to be in the fall.

Cold is not a factor, but rain and being wet, are a different story. Like Ryan say's, dress for it, and I will take wet gear.

We always fish Navajo when we winterize the houseboat in late November, Lots of big Crappie and the Top Water bite can be off the hook in the evenings.

So, we've heard a bunch now about how cold it can be. But it can also be really nice in November too! Like has been mentioned, watch the weather forecasts and plan accordingly.

Here are a bunch of pictures from some of our early November trips -- these are from numerous different years. Some days were sunny, warm, and beautiful, while other days were cold, wet, and....beautiful! The pictures kind of show the different weather we've experienced. The fish always seem to be cooperative, no matter how blue or gray it might be!

swbbSJb.jpg

9JnVQgp.jpg

IUZxAzf.jpg

lgmGHUA.jpg

UwPtgk9.jpg

yiF1ied.jpg

xyJa5li.jpg

z4asau7.jpg

0OLZMHs.jpg

45EIVIj.jpg

PHB, Love the spring bar tent. Use one myself. October November is the best time on the lake.typically weather is Great.
Fishing is off the charts.we see maybe 1 boat per day, be prepared , be careful. Safety First ! Hope the see some of you, look for the big Orange and Black Pontoon. Fish on !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back