Fish Feeding Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link. That behavior just seems unnatural to me. I can't think of a predator/prey relationship where the prey will allow the predator to be so close for so long (I understand that looked like bait on a dead stick). It seems that the natural prey of a muskie would have taken off long before it allowed the muskie to study it.

Does that seem like normal prey behavior in the fish world?

I have seen trolling videos similar to this with walleye who follow the bait for a long time looking at it before they strike it, figured stripers did the same.

Thanks for the link. That behavior just seems unnatural to me. I can't think of a predator/prey relationship where the prey will allow the predator to be so close for so long (I understand that looked like bait on a dead stick). It seems that the natural prey of a muskie would have taken off long before it allowed the muskie to study it.

Does that seem like normal prey behavior in the fish world?

The more I fish the more I know that fish behave as differently on a daily basis as humans. Some days we are hungry and eat often. Other days we are more picky and only eat what we like.

I am sure fish behave the same way. One day that musky would hit the bait fish as soon as it hit the water. On another day or time that fish would look once at the bait and then swim away. The rest of the time we find behavior in between both extremes. That is the main reason I posted the video.

We should all realize that fish are moody. They have to have a high positive attitude before we can catch them like crazy. When they are not biting then its time to look at the graph and adapt accordingly to fish that are in the zone but not actively eating. Or we come back to a school 2 hours later and find them in a different mood.

Isn't matching wits with a pea-brained fish intriguing?

I've seen smallmouth bass in clear, shallow water act the same way. If we only knew how many strikes we get that we don't even feel. I'd not be surprised if for every strike we see or feel there are at least 10 we don't. :)

Ed Gerdemann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back