First Trip to Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Reed

Taking first trip to Lake Powell in a couple weeks. We are from the White Mountains of AZ and will probably launch at Wahweap. Taking our two dogs on our 18' pontoon (60hp). Will be searching for a protected cove to camp in. Only have the Stan Jones map and can't seem to find a paper copy navigation map. Any suggestions? Don't want to rely on tech charts as weather, or messed up bouys could mess me up. Not that tech savvy anyway, lol. Will be fishing and sightseeing. Any suggestions for a first timer here would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to WW and congrats on your first trip, beware you and your group WILL become addicted.

There’s been a lot of recent discussion here that might help you out. May you have fair skies and light breezes.

Taking first trip to Lake Powell in a couple weeks. We are from the White Mountains of AZ and will probably launch at Wahweap. Taking our two dogs on our 18' pontoon (60hp). Will be searching for a protected cove to camp in. Only have the Stan Jones map and can't seem to find a paper copy navigation map. Any suggestions? Don't want to rely on tech charts as weather, or messed up bouys could mess me up. Not that tech savvy anyway, lol. Will be fishing and sightseeing. Any suggestions for a first timer here would be greatly appreciated.
What is your arrival date?

extra water and then some. cell phone with range extender and 5W marine radio. If you go deep into a slot canyon, check 20 mi weather report and let some outside know where you are going. Sat phone if $ no object. Chill. Be in the moment.

Thanks, did find navigation map at Sportsman;s Warehouse today. Start packing tomorrow, loaded up on frozen anchovies and nightcrawlers. Have a couple sets of crappie lights and will bring solar panel to keep trolling motor charged up. Planning on staying at least a week but hoping to be able to stay for a couple weeks. Planning on lots of photos, fishing and swimming. Any suggestions on where to park my truck? Also, I know we need a Utah license, is a reciprocal license at a reduced cost available, and where can I buy it? Didn't see a reciprocal option on the Utah website.

As far as I know if you have a Arizona or Utah license you can fish all of Lake Powell. I hope you get to stay 2 weeks but if this heat sticks around you might get burned out also if monsoon comes back keep an eye on the sky!

Thanks, did find navigation map at Sportsman;s Warehouse today. Start packing tomorrow, loaded up on frozen anchovies and nightcrawlers. Have a couple sets of crappie lights and will bring solar panel to keep trolling motor charged up. Planning on staying at least a week but hoping to be able to stay for a couple weeks. Planning on lots of photos, fishing and swimming. Any suggestions on where to park my truck? Also, I know we need a Utah license, is a reciprocal license at a reduced cost available, and where can I buy it? Didn't see a reciprocal option on the Utah website.
Put in at state line, parking is free, your Utah license is good
For the Arizona part of the lake

From what I've seen so far, a stamp is required to validate an AZ license for fishing in Utah. I can't seem to find that stamp on the Utah web site and was hoping someone could tell me a dealer in Page that might sell them. Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back