First trip to Powell.. Will be fly fishing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishinmagishin

My plan is to camp at Farley or Blue Notch.. Will be using a float tube to wander around.. 6wt rod with sinking line.. A wild card which fly??
Any thoughts on my adventure?? Open to change camp spots.. Hoping to catch walleyes.. Are strippers edible??
Tight lines..
Peter

My plan is to camp at Farley or Blue Notch.. Will be using a float tube to wander around.. 6wt rod with sinking line.. A wild card which fly??
Any thoughts on my adventure?? Open to change camp spots.. Hoping to catch walleyes.. Are strippers edible??
Tight lines..
Peter
Keep searching this site... there are plenty of resources on what flies to use... and yes stripers are good... recipes on here too..
Keep on on weather this weekend, might be bad getting in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tight lines..
Peter
When?

As mentioned, search some old threads, there's lots of information here. Basically; floating and sinking lines, chartreuse over white clouser or similar baitfish patterns, big woolly buggers and lots of streamer patterns will catch fish. Blue Notch is likely to be very muddy, I would hit Farley.

Striper are good eating, just don't dangle them off a stringer in 75 degree water and expect them to taste good! And cut ALL the dark muscle off the filets. For some reason, this is extra fishy tasting in stripers compared to other fish....

As to whether a stripper is edible, I will leave that up to you to decide;)

Last edited:
Clousers are the first thing I tie on when down there. Everything will eat em. Also crayfish patterns for Smallmouths is always a good bet. I generally fish with an intermediate sink line but you can get away with a floater if your flies are weighted. Once Summer hits and stripers start boiling then a floating line and a crease fly will be you huckleberry. Bead head nymphs like a Gold ribbed hares ear can be fun for bluegill if you want to go that rout.

The white flies, in the top right of the box, TR was tying up at Lone Rock beach for the next day of fishin’ for the “2013” Shad Rally. They do work. Sq

Last edited:
in murky water use dark colored flies. All those white flies will just disappear in the muddy water that you'll encounter up around Farley, and Blue Notch. Go with black.

PBH has a good point. I tend not to fish really low viz water but if you do some thoughts for you would be color..dark as mentioned, or I also use chartreuse. To me, more important is letting the fish feel and hear the fly. I would use a fly that pushes lots of water, ie a big spun hair head, and another trick I like is to use a gurgler. I make enough noise on the surface that it draws fish from further away than the line of sight. Sometimes I use a big popper and make enough noise to let the whole world know where the fly is and see what happens. Again, if forced to fish really off water I’ll put a gurgler in front and a small shad fly 10 inches behind for a two fly combo, or chug/bug as it is known. Personally I try to get into more clear water but maybe this will help if you find yourself unable to find that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back