First Time To Lake Powell Looking for Guidance Suggestions Recommendations Departing Wahweap

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCC

Hi! We are headed to Lake Powell for a first visit mid September. We’ve got 3, maybe 4, couples renting a 59’ houseboat. We have an 18’ motorboat we are bringing with us. Love this forum as I’ve read lots of great info and found very useful links. One member suggested I start a thread and share what our goals are, and ask for help here, great idea - here I go:
We are a pretty low key group who has camped together before (RV, car/tent). Our primary goals are R&R and exploration. First time for all of us to Lake Powell. We like hiking, exploring, sunsets with a cocktail, hanging out around the campfire. Rainbow Bridge is on our list for sure.
Looking for suggestions on good places for newbies to anchor a houseboat. Starting a Wahweap. We have the boat 5d/4n (M-F). Depending on the experience we may just anchor once, to maximize relaxation time. If we do a one time anchor what’s a good place? We are bringing a paddle board and kayak, so would like some good exploration spots from the houseboat.
Is it possible/recommended to hire a captain on a first trip?
Is a jet ski/ski doo a high recommendation? Suggestions on where to rent?
Any other recommendations or things you think will help us have a safe and fun trip - I’m all ears!
Thank you in advance for your help!!

Welcome. A big question that will help focus the advice you get, is where are you launching? Bullfrog, Wahweap or Antelope Point.

If R&R is on the bucket list you have the right idea with only anchoring once. Use the speedboat to explore, knowing at the days end you are heading back to enjoy the sunset on a HB that is securely anchored

Reactions: CCC
I would only anchor once but do it well! It depends on how close to rainbow bridge you want to be but padre is about 2 hours in houseboat you can easily take your runabout to rainbow and back in the morning early get ice cream and gas on way back at dangling rope be back for a late lunch. September 12th through the 15th is the annual poker run for charity a lot of very fast boats.

While the rental folks seem to encourage you to find a big sandy beach and dig holes for the anchors, if you read threads here you will see many folks look for just enough sand to beach the boat and tie up to LARGE boulders. We only tried sand once, and it was the only time we broke loose in a wind storm. We are big advocates for rocks, and there is no shortage

Sand holds if you dig deep enough 3 feet have never broke loose🤔 boulders are easier no digging
There is more than enough to see in Padre and gunsite for your trip but if you want be secluded go farther up lake but if you have a problem you also have less people willing to help.

As you've probably heard, the lake is different each time you visit due to water level changes. The last several weeks have been pretty stable. Your best source of info for specific spots will come from recent visitors. Hopefully we'll have some chime in here. If not, ask the dock workers at check-in and others you see coming off of the lake. It's pretty easy to strike up a conversation, "good trip?" "where'd you stay?" etc.

September isn't too crazy on the lake as far as crowds go. In fact, it's probably my favorite month. The further you get from the marinas, the more solitude you'll have. As first timers, don't go crazy with your distances. If there's a problem, or you forgot something critical, it's nice to be able to make a run to the marina (usually just in the speedboat). Padre Bay, and it's surroundings, mentioned above, is probably the sweet spot as far as distance.

Finally, just plan to be flexible. Things rarely go perfectly, but it does happen occasionally. Rolling with the punches and making adaptations almost always pays off at Lake Powell. We've made major changes in the moment for one reason or another - and after we've been back at home for a few weeks we've forgotten that we even had a different plan in mind originally.

Hope you have a great trip!

Welcome. A big question that will help focus the advice you get, is where are you launching? Bullfrog, Wahweap or Antelope Point.

If R&R is on the bucket list you have the right idea with only anchoring once. Use the speedboat to explore, knowing at the days end you are heading back to enjoy the sunset on a HB that is securely anchored
Thank you! Have added Wahweap to the description above. Once is definitely the recommendation!

Triple C you B D Captain the first time out and that is part of the Adventure. Houseboats are a formidable foe and the Captain is a Mighty Office Feared by ALL. Enjoy the Journey and dont stress you well do fine.

Make sure the houseboat systems are functional before leaving dock there is always issues on boats sometimes you can deal without something ac ice maker exc. but be sure plumbing/engines things you can’t do without are working!

Are you renting the Wanderer? If so, I have a tip.
We rented one in late June, sure is a nice newer boat.
We had a problem with the fresh water system, someone was showering shortly after getting underway and the pump kept tripping.
It also has a filter that sometimes gets clogged.
The pump is under the floor, in a very easily accessible space, and it's super easy to reset.
Ask the guy that runs you through the systems about it.
I had to reset it once or twice more through the trip, not really a big deal though.

A preboard always works out good for our fishing group. We get the instruction the day before which enables us to leave at daybreak instead of having to wait till they open. We always negotiate for a 1/2 price preboard. You will always get the spiel about there is no guarantee of being able to get on the boat until 8 pm. tipping a porter or instructor on t dock will do way more good than pleading with a manager. Sleeping on the boat is fun and gives everyone a kickstart for the trip. I always try to show up about 3 pm the day of the preboard to give everyone a heads up, pay for everything (insurance and preboard fee) and start greasing the wheels to make sure the boat will be ready for us and the instruction will be done before everyone leaves from the marina. I assume you are leaving from Stateline T dock.

1/2 price preboard huh? Never even thought about that.
We tip the porters around $100, each way, and they appreciate it a lot.
It's worth it for us, as the first year we had to lug our stuff down by ourselves cause they had gone home by the time our boat was ready.
The porters can be your friends, if you treat them right.

Last edited:
Speaking of ice. If you have the room, bring a couple of ice chests just for ice.
Buy block ice from Walmart and fill them up, and keep them inside out of the sun.
Two years ago ice was $8.00 @ Dangling Rope, this year it was around $5.50 if I remember correctly.

Are you renting the Wanderer? If so, I have a tip.
We rented one in late June, sure is a nice newer boat.
We had a problem with the fresh water system, someone was showering shortly after getting underway and the pump kept tripping.
It also has a filter that sometimes gets clogged.
The pump is under the floor, in a very easily accessible space, and it's super easy to reset.
Ask the guy that runs you through the systems about it.
I had to reset it once or twice more through the trip, not really a big deal though.
Yes, we are! Thanks for the great tip. We are staying on board the night before, so will give it a thorough check out. Will add this to our list to go over with the folks at the dock.

A preboard always works out good for our fishing group. We get the instruction the day before which enables us to leave at daybreak instead of having to wait till they open. We always negotiate for a 1/2 price preboard. You will always get the spiel about there is no guarantee of being able to get on the boat until 8 pm. tipping a porter or instructor on t dock will do way more good than pleading with a manager. Sleeping on the boat is fun and gives everyone a kickstart for the trip. I always try to show up about 3 pm the day of the preboard to give everyone a heads up, pay for everything (insurance and preboard fee) and start greasing the wheels to make sure the boat will be ready for us and the instruction will be done before everyone leaves from the marina. I assume you are leaving from Stateline T dock.
Great info! we are planning to pre board the night before, hadn’t thought about negotiating lol. Not sure the dock, but will adjust plans to arrive earlier than we planned. Good to know about tipping too!

1/2 price preboard huh? Never even thought about that.
We tip the porters around $100, each way, and they appreciate it a lot.
It's worth it for us, as the first year we had to lug our stuff down by ourselves cause they had gone home by the time our boat was ready.
The porters can be your friends, if you treat them right.
Wow, ok, good to know to plan for this!

Helpful Ice tip - Take a case of bottled water and put in the house boat freezer, as you need ice take them out, replace the bottles you take out of the freezer with new ones, we were on the same boat for the same amount of time and never needed ice, as the bottles thaw out in the ice chest you have ice cold water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back