First time Houseboat rental - 46' Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_G

I've posted this on the Lake Powell Facebook pages but would love feedback from this group as well.

We've tent camped for years at Powell but for the first time we will be renting the 46' expedition out of Wahweap this weekend, and was hoping for some clarification and tips if possible.
1. Is the fridge really electric only? No propane option like an RV fridge? Is it running/cooled with shore power prior to boarding?
2. Can you use the burners on the stove with propane only? No generator power? The manual for the boat says it needs electricity as well as propane. I can't imagine this is correct.
3. We are doing the preboard but won't be arriving until after closing most likely. The email we received from Aramark said that our boat/slip number would be posted on the office door for after hours arrival. I would imagine it's fine to get everything loaded that night after hours? Any issues with this?
4. I've read posts about fuel tanks not being topped off from previous renters and the new renters getting stuck with the bill. Do you have Aramark verify or top off the boat before you pull out of the marina? Same goes for the Propane tanks.
5. Also have seen quite a few posts about generators not working. I assume we should have Aramark prove everything works before we leave? Generator, Stove, Grill, Fridge, Water pump, etc.
6. What about the black tanks? Anyone rented and found the black tank hadn't been emptied beforehand? Is there a level gauge similar to an RV setup that shows the level for each tank on the boat?
7. The boat inventory list shows bedding, pillows, and such but do you all still bring your own bedding as well? Or just stick with what's supplied on the boat?
8. I'm sure I'll have more but any tips for this houseboat in particular? I've read through lot's of tips and lessons learned posts so far and have taken lot's of notes. Thanks everyone

I rented the 59' discoverer in May. It was my first experience house boating. Preboarding is worth it in my opinion. Getting settled in early and cooking a meal helped getting acclimated to the boat. The main glitches we ran into was a bad micro and coffee maker. They handled that promptly. The only propane on our boat was the bbq. Definatlely top off all tanks before you leave. Our toy tank was 60 gallons low. They ate that instead of me. Also the main fuel gauges read full the entire trip. Don't trust them. Everything on our boat inventory was there. We checked it all since we were there the night before. Hope your trip goes well and you post a write up. I'm already planning a trip for next May again.

I rented the 59' discoverer in May. It was my first experience house boating. Preboarding is worth it in my opinion. Getting settled in early and cooking a meal helped getting acclimated to the boat. The main glitches we ran into was a bad micro and coffee maker. They handled that promptly. The only propane on our boat was the bbq. Definatlely top off all tanks before you leave. Our toy tank was 60 gallons low. They ate that instead of me. Also the main fuel gauges read full the entire trip. Don't trust them. Everything on our boat inventory was there. We checked it all since we were there the night before. Hope your trip goes well and you post a write up. I'm already planning a trip for next May again.
Thanks so much for the feedback. Crazy that the toy tank was that low. Will definitely be checking the fuel levels before we leave.

Here’s a link to our experience a couple years ago with the Wahweap Expedition.

1) Yes the fridge is a residential style 120v. No propane.

2) I don’t recall needing electric to run the stove. They may be referring to the 12v required to run igniters, stove is all propane otherwise.

3) With pre-board, it’s best if you can get an instructor to give you the check out and sign your paperwork that night. That way you can turn it in at the office drop box and depart at dawn before office opens at 8am. If you miss that option, you can still load your gear, fridge, water and AC will be on. Spend the night on board. You’ll just need to wait till 8 am to get signed off and approved for departure.

4) Fuel and propane were full and not an issue for us.

5) Our generator was shutting off due to low oil warning. We added oil and it ran another day. Ended up going to Bullfrog to buy oil so we could keep gen running. Gen is important because boat is set up to rely on generator several hours daily to recharge house batteries.

6) Black water tank filled (7 guys) after about 4-5 days. We pumped it manually at the Escalante floating restroom. Not a big deal, took maybe 15 min.

7) Lots of supplied bedding, we didn’t use because everyone had their own preferences and brought their own gear.

Tips:
We brought a small 120v residential freezer filled with 100 lbs of ice.
We brought a 65” TV and folding table, set up on the top deck facing beach. Connected Dish and watched NFL several nights while fishing for cats and playing cornhole. Details are foggy but I believe beer was involved as well.

Overall, it’s a great economical boat. We’d rent one again. You have a good attitude going in with low expectations. Hope your trip is fun and trouble free.

We rented an expedition last fall and 48' Navigator this spring. You have to start the generator for the oven to work and the plug ins in the kitchen for the electric appliances to work. The stove and grill both run on propane. The air conditioning on both boats barely worked but we were there early and late enough in the year that we really didn't need it.

Bring your own drinking water. There is no guage for the fresh water tank and our boat this spring had an empty tank. We brought 10 gallons for the two of us and were lucky we did. I never drink out of RV type tanks so we bring water on every trip. Both boats use tanks and not water filters for potable water. I believe the black water tank had a guage, but not the fresh water tank.

I recommend bringing bleach and a dish bucket to sanitize your dishes in. You will be washing in lake water. I'm a rafter and wash dishes with river water on our trips. To sanitize we place the washed dishes in a dish bucket of bleach water for at least 30 seconds to kill germs. It doesn't take much bleach. 10 drops is about all I use. Too much bleach in the water will give you the runs. Not fun. I treat lake powell water the same as I do on the rivers I run because........the runs I like to do are all upstream of lake powell. Im heading to Desolation canyon next week, upstream on the green. We'll be both washing dishes and peeing in the river! We do carry a river toilet to poop in. 💩

Definitely tell them you want your fuel tanks topped off before you leave. Both boats we rented took fuel to top them off. 12 and 28 gallons respectively. The fuel guages are not accurate and the depth finder on both boats were broken. We found that running at 3600 to 3800 RPM made for good gas mileage running around 5 to 6 mph on our garman GPS. Hope this helps.

I am always amazed when I hear the stories of these rental boats being so light on gas at top off. How does Aramark charge users for gas? Is it at the time of check in, or do they get a bill sometime down the line? If they are doing it at check in and someone asks for a top off, is Aramark just out 40 gallons of gas? Seems like they are leaving a lot on the table if so.

They bill you for fuel when you turn the boat in. You pull up to the fuel dock to return it. One of the staff takes you and the boat to the slip from there and checks you out and helps you unload the boat. You pay for the gas after it's pumped at the fuel dock and before they unload you. All our costs were charged before the trip so all we payed was for fuel at the end. If you have them fuel you at check in they do not charge you for the fuel they put in it.

Last edited:
Here’s a link to our experience a couple years ago with the Wahweap Expedition.

1) Yes the fridge is a residential style 120v. No propane.

2) I don’t recall needing electric to run the stove. They may be referring to the 12v required to run igniters, stove is all propane otherwise.

3) With pre-board, it’s best if you can get an instructor to give you the check out and sign your paperwork that night. That way you can turn it in at the office drop box and depart at dawn before office opens at 8am. If you miss that option, you can still load your gear, fridge, water and AC will be on. Spend the night on board. You’ll just need to wait till 8 am to get signed off and approved for departure.

4) Fuel and propane were full and not an issue for us.

5) Our generator was shutting off due to low oil warning. We added oil and it ran another day. Ended up going to Bullfrog to buy oil so we could keep gen running. Gen is important because boat is set up to rely on generator several hours daily to recharge house batteries.

6) Black water tank filled (7 guys) after about 4-5 days. We pumped it manually at the Escalante floating restroom. Not a big deal, took maybe 15 min.

7) Lots of supplied bedding, we didn’t use because everyone had their own preferences and brought their own gear.

Tips:
We brought a small 120v residential freezer filled with 100 lbs of ice.
We brought a 65” TV and folding table, set up on the top deck facing beach. Connected Dish and watched NFL several nights while fishing for cats and playing cornhole. Details are foggy but I believe beer was involved as well.

Overall, it’s a great economical boat. We’d rent one again. You have a good attitude going in with low expectations. Hope your trip is fun and trouble free.
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a great time. Good idea with the small freezer.
Question: If the fridge is 120v do people run the generator nearly all the time to keep the food cold/frozen? Or just during the day and let it be at night?

Also, would it be a good idea for me to bring some oil for the genny just in case? Remember the weight by chance? :D

We rented an expedition last fall and 48' Navigator this spring. You have to start the generator for the oven to work and the plug ins in the kitchen for the electric appliances to work. The stove and grill both run on propane. The air conditioning on both boats barely worked but we were there early and late enough in the year that we really didn't need it.

Bring your own drinking water. There is no guage for the fresh water tank and our boat this spring had an empty tank. We brought 10 gallons for the two of us and were lucky we did. I never drink out of RV type tanks so we bring water on every trip. Both boats use tanks and not water filters for potable water. I believe the black water tank had a guage, but not the fresh water tank.

I recommend bringing bleach and a dish bucket to sanitize your dishes in. You will be washing in lake water. I'm a rafter and wash dishes with river water on our trips. To sanitize we place the washed dishes in a dish bucket of bleach water for at least 30 seconds to kill germs. It doesn't take much bleach. 10 drops is about all I use. Too much bleach in the water will give you the runs. Not fun. I treat lake powell water the same as I do on the rivers I run because........the runs I like to do are all upstream of lake powell. Im heading to Desolation canyon next week, upstream on the green. We'll be both washing dishes and peeing in the river! We do carry a river toilet to poop in. 💩

Definitely tell them you want your fuel tanks topped off before you leave. Both boats we rented took fuel to top them off. 12 and 28 gallons respectively. The fuel guages are not accurate and the depth finder on both boats were broken. We found that running at 3600 to 3800 RPM made for good gas mileage running around 5 to 6 mph on our garman GPS. Hope this helps.
May have to add bleach to our packing list. Yikes!

Good to know about a good running rpm. We won't be in a hurry and don't mind saving on fuel. Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a great time. Good idea with the small freezer.
Question: If the fridge is 120v do people run the generator nearly all the time to keep the food cold/frozen? Or just during the day and let it be at night?

Also, would it be a good idea for me to bring some oil for the genny just in case? Remember the weight by chance? :D
The onboard fridge runs off an inverter so it’s always on, independent of the generator. The generator needs to run a few hours everyday to recharge the house batteries.

We ran the freezer from an inverter-driven outlet so it was always on just like the fridge. Needed an extension cord to reach the outlet which if I remember correctly, was in the kitchen (ran the extension through the kitchen window)

Didn’t pay much attention to the generator oil weight. Just bring a few quarts of 10w30 or similar. At the end, we ran out of 10w30 and used a quart of marine outdrive oil. Desperate times, desperate measures…

Told them at the fuel dock upon return, they didn’t seem to care, not surprising.

The onboard fridge runs off an inverter so it’s always on, independent of the generator. The generator needs to run a few hours everyday to recharge the house batteries.

We ran the freezer from an inverter-driven outlet so it was always on just like the fridge. Needed an extension cord to reach the outlet which if I remember correctly, was in the kitchen (ran the extension through the kitchen window)

Didn’t pay much attention to the generator oil weight. Just bring a few quarts of 10w30 or similar. At the end, we ran out of 10w30 and used a quart of marine outdrive oil. Desperate times, desperate measures…

Told them at the fuel dock upon return, they didn’t seem to care, not surprising.
Great! Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back