First striper boil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaLegs

Escalante-Class Member
Many slurps in Kane Creek. Had an actual boil off the back of the houseboat, got 1 healthy 18" fish using top water bait. It was very w$@dy at the time which made it difficult to place the bait in the sweet spot.

Many slurps in Kane Creek. Had an actual boil off the back of the houseboat, got 1 healthy 18" fish using top water bait. It was very w$@dy at the time which made it difficult to place the bait in the sweet spot.

What time of day were the slurps and boil up on top?

The slurp we saw in the back of Navajo July 5 at 6:45am was definitely more like a boil with tens of striper boiling on the surface and some jumping clean out of the water.

Wayne, what’s the defined difference between a slurp and boil?

Wayne will probably provide a better answer, or at least defined. To me the difference is viscousness, if that makes sense. Most slurps I've seen its generally a smaller school of Stripers slowly (but actually pretty fast keeping up with a trolling motor wise), chasing a school of shad. Full on boils come in many different shapes and sizes but are way more intense. You can hear a boil, where as you might not really hear a slurp. Boiling fish have seemed to stop chasing shad and have them trapped, against the surface, or better yet against a bank. Once they have them trapped its every shad for itself. Slurps you have to chase, boils you can just sit or easily follow.

I marked up some spots in one of our videos that will hopefully give you some perspective on the differences. At least to me, or that we've seemed to experience.

Slurps:
10:46
30:30
31:12

Boils:
14:32
24:20
36:00

I think I pulled more SMB than Stripers out of the boils in Stanton back in "17" Those boils were Sept. 22-27 th. 2017. 50' from the RV. Really didn't need the boat that trip. Sq

Wayne will probably provide a better answer, or at least defined. To me the difference is viscousness, if that makes sense. Most slurps I've seen its generally a smaller school of Stripers slowly (but actually pretty fast keeping up with a trolling motor wise), chasing a school of shad. Full on boils come in many different shapes and sizes but are way more intense. You can hear a boil, where as you might not really hear a slurp. Boiling fish have seemed to stop chasing shad and have them trapped, against the surface, or better yet against a bank. Once they have them trapped its every shad for itself. Slurps you have to chase, boils you can just sit or easily follow.

I marked up some spots in one of our videos that will hopefully give you some perspective on the differences. At least to me, or that we've seemed to experience.

Slurps:

Boils:

Awesome video, the youngster made me laugh, he gets as excited as I do. Nice job dad!

Slurps:

Boils:

Thanks for your explanation of the difference between both. I was at Lake Mead last weekend and experienced lots of slurps around 8:30 in the morning. I had not seen any there for many years, so it was encouraging.

what was in there bellies Bill, are they eating the quagga down there at all. seen them dam things in several species at powell

what was in there bellies Bill, are they eating the quagga down there at all. seen them dam things in several species at powell
Unfortunately I did not have a pole with me, so I can't answer your question. I have been going to Lake Mead since 1988 and for the last 10 years slurps and boils have been almost non-existent. It is good to see them coming back.

The boil was Friday early evening. It had been overcast most of the day so the water temp was still in the high 70s. Definitely more surface activity in AM now. I witnessed many slurps this morning in Padre and Warm Creek bay until 11 am or so.
Forgot to mention that it was my first top water striper. Hard to believe after 40+ years fishing LP. IMA SKIMMER 4.25 " chartreuse shad. Going to stock up on those.

Forgot to mention that it was my first top water striper. Hard to believe after 40+ years fishing LP. IMA SKIMMER 4.25 " chartreuse shad. Going to stock up on those.
You must have read a previous report! I really like the IMA skimmers. They work great in boils and sometimes in slurps. I just have to warn you that you may become a topwater fanatic (like me).

The slurp we saw in the back of Navajo July 5 at 6:45am was definitely more like a boil with tens of striper boiling on the surface and some jumping clean out of the water.

Slurps are shad fry that can’t swim away fast enough, therefore the striper don’t have to put aggression into chasing them. Once the shad are large enough to swim quickly and independently, the striper have to act accordingly, hence displacing water at a greater level of turbidity. BOILS!

Dungee Destroyer swim bait from zero bait store worked the best this week at Bullfrog and Halls Bay for me on the slurps , didnt see any boils .

Dallas - How many stripers are you catching in slurps now. My catch dropped from 27 down to 6 last trip. What is happening at Bullfrog?

It was a struggle seen them in Halls in the morning then over by the bullfrog marina in the afternoon . They where mostly dinks , and when I trolled with flicker Shads i would mainly catch small ones 1st year stripers. It would shut down at about 1:00 because the wind would pick up . Seen one big slurp in the toilet bowl as you enter Halls , had 2 boats on it already and way to dangerous of a spot for me. With the swimbait they would follow and hit it if I made a bad cast , hard to have them hit the whopper popper . Would catch maybe 6 a day casting and 7 trolling around the area , that they where going to slurp .

On wednesday went down to the Rincon did not see a single slurp down there . Caught only small stripers did get buzzed by 4 fighter jets . near where ryans raven flies.

When we want to put a bunch of fish in the boat, we use a big propeller lure with a white Maribou jig behind it, or a white plastic swim bait. They miss the big lure most of the time, but never seem to miss the trailing jig. If you hook two at once, be careful, we've broken several rods that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back