First Sept trip to BF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jairo

Hey all,

I'm heading to BF this weekend with my dad to do some fishing over the weekend and was wondering if you have any tips for the upper lake this late in the season. Unfortunately we don't have a fish finder on our boat, so I'm expecting finding fish is going to be a challenge. Are there any areas you recommend we head to first? Also, I'm not sure how the effective a fly rod will be on the lake but i'm thinking on giving it a try. Has anyone have had any success with this? Sounds like the fishing has been a bit slow lately, but we are hopping to bring back a few fish on our cooler. :)

Hey all,

I'm heading to BF this weekend with my dad to do some fishing over the weekend and was wondering if you have any tips for the upper lake this late in the season. Unfortunately we don't have a fish finder on our boat, so I'm expecting finding fish is going to be a challenge. Are there any areas you recommend we head to first? Also, I'm not sure how the effective a fly rod will be on the lake but i'm thinking on giving it a try. Has anyone have had any success with this? Sounds like the fishing has been a bit slow lately, but we are hopping to bring back a few fish on our cooler. :)
You may want to post this in the fishing forum. I have a feeling you will get plenty of info there.

You will encounter “BOILS”. Have 2 rods ready, 1 with a “top water” and 1 with a “KastMaster” You will catch stripers and SMB on both from boils. Have a blast. Still a couple weeks until my next trip. Sq

I agree with Squirrel, watch for splashing on the surface. You don’t need a fish finder to find boils and you should catch fish in and around those boils. It can be an exciting trip if you get into boiling fish! Good luck and have fun!

You will encounter “BOILS”. Have 2 rods ready, 1 with a “top water” and 1 with a “KastMaster” You will catch stripers and SMB on both from boils. Have a blast. Still a couple weeks until my next trip. Sq

Thanks for the tip. We are hoping to run in to a few boils

Nicely done, beautiful fish.
I have a 9 year old whose passion is fishing, he cant wait to go back to Powell, wants to do a tournament, been that way since he was 4, now better with a baitcaster than I. Really like seeing these young people getting involved.

Kastmasters are good spoons but I have had better luck with two-ounce spoons - can't find a 2 oz kastmaster anywhere. With a two-ounce spoon you get a lot faster, straighter drop enabling you to cover more water. A guy on this site gave my brother several dozen big spoons a couple of years ago. They are just lead with a minimal paint job but they work fine. Another option is to buy saltwater spoons. We found one on Amazon that is chrome like kastmaster. It's cut straighter so it does not wobble as much but still seems to work fine. A big sturdy hook is another benefit of the bigger spoons. They're more durable than the hooks that come with kastmasters, are easier to unhook and that gets you back to fishing faster.

Kastmasters are good spoons but I have had better luck with two-ounce spoons - can't find a 2 oz kastmaster anywhere. With a two-ounce spoon you get a lot faster, straighter drop enabling you to cover more water. A guy on this site gave my brother several dozen big spoons a couple of years ago. They are just lead with a minimal paint job but they work fine. Another option is to buy saltwater spoons. We found one on Amazon that is chrome like kastmaster. It's cut straighter so it does not wobble as much but still seems to work fine. A big sturdy hook is another benefit of the bigger spoons. They're more durable than the hooks that come with kastmasters, are easier to unhook and that gets you back to fishing faster.

Thanks for the tips! I will look into those saltwater spoons. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back