Finally after 24 months I'm back in heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got a late start yesterday, saw the yahtzee on the way in. That looks like a full load for that truck.

With white caps and wakeboarding all day we decided to stay in Wahweap Bay and primarily trolled along the 30ft to 50ft contours at about 1.5mph with 5in Yamamoto single tail grubs.

We would pick up the smb while going over the main lake points, they were stacked up right on top of the points in 20 to 30ft of water. Put 8 in the boat along with 2 stripers. All the fish were as fat and sassy as I've ever seen.

Going to head uplake today. 🤞

We got a late start yesterday, saw the yahtzee on the way in. That looks like a full load for that truck.

With white caps and wakeboarding all day we decided to stay in Wahweap Bay and primarily trolled along the 30ft to 50ft contours at about 1.5mph with 5in Yamamoto single tail grubs.

We would pick up the smb while going over the main lake points, they were stacked up right on top of the points in 20 to 30ft of water. Put 8 in the boat along with 2 stripers. All the fish were as fat and sassy as I've ever seen.

Going to head uplake today. 🤞
Hope you slay um Meatwagon, I can't wait myself 👍

Last edited:
Big winds gone, this weekend is shaping up to be a good one, everyone coming up for the eclipse will love it.

Time to fill up the meat wagon…looking forward to more reports!

PS With gusts to 19 mph it was quite a handful putting Yachtzee on the trailer at Wahweap yesterday. Was that you tied off behind me at the dock around 10 am or so? Sorry if we missed ya in all the commotion, love to meet WW’ers.

Last edited:
Big winds gone, this weekend is shaping up to be a good one, everyone coming up for the eclipse will love it.

Time to fill up the meat wagon…looking forward to more reports!

PS With gusts to 19 mph it was quite a handful putting Yachtzee on the trailer at Wahweap yesterday. Was that you tied off behind me at the dock around 10 am or so? Sorry if we missed ya in all the commotion, love to meet WW’ers.
We were driving into the pay booth when you were heading out.

We took a run up to last chance bay Friday. We started in the back when we reached 75ft of water. As soon as I shutdown the boat and started to get the rods out I noticed we were over a large school of stripers. Dropped a spoon on them but no takers.

Then we started fishing for smb and just like Wahweap the day before all were caught on the main lake points in 15 to 30ft. It picked up about 2 o'clock and continued to get better until we had had back at 4:30.

Kept a couple for dinner tonight and while at the fish cleaning station another boat came in with a mixed bag of stripers, smb and walleyes. They said they were further up lake then us.

We took a run up to last chance bay Friday. We started in the back when we reached 75ft of water. As soon as I shutdown the boat and started to get the rods out I noticed we were over a large school of stripers. Dropped a spoon on them but no takers.

Then we started fishing for smb and just like Wahweap the day before all were caught on the main lake points in 15 to 30ft. It picked up about 2 o'clock and continued to get better until we had had back at 4:30.

Kept a couple for dinner tonight and while at the fish cleaning station another boat came in with a mixed bag of stripers, smb and walleyes. They said they were further up lake then us.
We had no luck with stripers in last chance too, although they were all over the graph. SMB fishing was on fire, topwater all day

Just back from a two week trip and the weather was fantastic on Lake Powell. Very little wind. Great solar eclipse camped in the Escalante. Fishing was consistent from Rock Creek to the Escalante and back. Bass and stripers are obviously are enjoying the amazing shad population that is now present in Lake Powell. So many shad that the sport fish are fat and happy. Best fishing is found when shad schools are feeding on the surface morning and evening. When no shad schools are seen on the surface, fishing is a bit slower.

Just back from a two week trip and the weather was fantastic on Lake Powell. Very little wind. Great solar eclipse camped in the Escalante. Fishing was consistent from Rock Creek to the Escalante and back. Bass and stripers are obviously are enjoying the amazing shad population that is now present in Lake Powell. So many shad that the sport fish are fat and happy. Best fishing is found when shad schools are feeding on the surface morning and evening. When no shad schools are seen on the surface, fishing is a bit slower.
Wayne Do you expect fishing to pick up when water cools 62 to 65, even with so many Shad? I will be there to find out, but just curious on your thoughts.
Thanks

I am not sure if it will pick up, but I am positive right now that the fishing is not as good as it could be because of the abundance of shad schools. I was out for the past two weeks and found very unusual patterns in the backs of canyons. We camped in the back of the Escalante and found shad schools that lived in the backs of canyons and coves. Shad would feed as a group in the backs of canyons from dawn until 10 am and then in the evening from 4-6 pm. Occasionally a few stripers would blow up on the school but there were many more shad than stripers.

There are a ton of shad and the feeding seemed the same every day that we were in the back of the canyon. Shad were there often and a few stripers arrived occasionally each day. I have never seen so many shad this time of year. I am glad that they alll seem to be getting along well.
We caught lots of bass and stripers feeding each day in many different canyons. But, those canyons with huge shad schools were the best.

This was in Knowles the eclipse weekend. I did find a couple nice LMB under the shad but fishing was tough
We were in Hanson for the eclipse, Marking fish at 60 to 100 feet. I thought it was a thermocline and they were not doing well but the shad population is the answer. I caught a large smallmouth, and he gave up five shad!! This was almost at good hope. bay in the main channel. We have tried almost everything to get the 60 ft+ fish to bite but have not yet got it done. Next spring will be good fishing. The fish count and shad report from gill netting will be a good tool for judging next year. We fished all week, caught a lot good small mouth and largemouth Bass small in size and some fairly good crappies, but not many keepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back