Farley’s fishing from the shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paydirt06

So the first week in April I’m gonna bring my family down to Powell fishing, we will only be able to fish from the shore, just wondering if anyone knew what the conditions are over around Farley’s, Hite area. Any info will help. Thank you!

Just be aware that Farley is a distinct lake right now, not connected to river or Lake Powell.

Mountainman that looks fun. Is that a Pudlepointer? My Wirehaired pointer loves to chase the fish as they are landed, she even stares at a dry fly waiting for a fish to come up and eat it!!!

I was down in Farley area last weekend. I hiked in to the back of White Canyon from Farley after abandoning trying to hike in from White Canyon dirt access road that leads to White. The inflow in "White Canyon Creek" was very high and extremely muddy. It would have been a longer walk and I did not feel the fishing access from that point would be as good. The dirt roads have taken a beating the last 10 days or so from big rains in the area lots of washouts, cuts through the road suface with mud and standing water in lots of areas. So I drove into Farley and hiked for an hour to reach White. When I got there it was Chocolate Milk muddy and filled with debris. The water was muddy as far as I could see into the canyon. It is also landlocked from the river so the mud was from inflow from the creek and every wash that drains into it, they were all blown out with mud and debris. I fished for about an hour with no luck, the water was so muddy I could not see a Chartruese lure Further than One Inch in the water.
I started to hike into Farley Canyon to check out the conditions. I took the longer way from the "main parking" in Farley it appeared to be about 1/2 mile to the water from the GPS maps I had. I think it is further from that point than that because the water is lower than my Gps map showed it at. The other road does get you closer to the water, it looked like it may have had some damage from the rain and was muddy, since I had not been on it in years I did not want to risk it with my truck and camper.
After hiking about half way and seeing how the wash feeding it had been blown out and sections of the "road" in that area were washed out and it appeared a lot of muddy flow entered the lake I turned around figuring it would be muddy just like white canyon was. I can say for sure because I never got to the point I could see the water before I headed back. SO I CAN'T SAY FOR SURE that FARLEY IS MUDDIED OUT. White was blown out muddy, unfishable. until it clears up, which I am not sure how long that will take.
That was Monday morning, just as we were leaving Farley a road worker started repairing the FARLEY road with a grader it had several bid dips and places that 1/4 of the road was washed away with lots of muddy flows over it as well. I appears that last week the area got pounded with major rain.
I talked to the guy at the Hite Store he said he had been in the area for six years and had never seen rain like that. There were several spots under repair on the Hite access road as well. They are stocking it up right now for the for the season, they will have regular hours ATV Bike and other rentals.
There are 21 developed camp spots between the store on the Boat ramp. Park service is working on the area between the Concrete ramp and the old temp ramp we were able to use a few years back ( and maybe we will get to use it this year if it raises enough should happen!!) Seems funny to me where they are putting in culverts and making flat spots for camping alone the River/Lake could be inundated if the lake rises over the next few years. The work is way high and dry now, but if mother nature blesses us with a few great runoff years they would be flooded out for sure. I guess they are figuring that won't happen. I take it as a good omen, since they are never right !! They will flood out next year or the year after for sure !!LOL.
Hope this helps. I am waiting for high water this summer to boat into those canyons again, with some luck from the runoff 3615 My guess
Mildog Out

When Pegasus flew over on the 17th, you could see the main flow of the Colorado dumping through shallow mudflats into White....it was chocolate milk. Farley was pretty clear looking though....

Pegasus’s pictures of White from 15-17 show running water down white canyon above the lake line. The meander at the bow of battleship Rock is landlocked with the flowing water astern. You can see the fan of chocolate water entering the lake level from White. The chocolate flow was changing the lake color towards the back of the canyon instead of towards the mouth which means inflow pressure is still there from the river at the mouth. It looks like at the mouth of White there is a huge boil before the river abruptly heads west and then goes SW around the curving channel. (Striper City?) There are sandbars visible just downstream from white. I don’t know if it is silt or rock holding the boil in check but it seems White is close to being landlocked.

Just be aware that Farley is a distinct lake right now, not connected to river or Lake Powell.

Mountainman that looks fun. Is that a Pudlepointer? My Wirehaired pointer loves to chase the fish as they are landed, she even stares at a dry fly waiting for a fish to come up and eat it!!!
She’s actually a Wirehair, Golden-Doddle, Chocolate-Lab mix. She does the same thing, loves to sit and wait for a fish. Although, she wants to retrieve the fish after its released. Not helpful when your trying to not scare the fish away!

For what its worth on Sunday the 24th when I was in there the back of every wash had 50 yards of floating wood, plants and brush that had recently been flushed in. The white canyon stream was still running pretty heavy and was pure mud, so a lot of muddy flow was coming into the back and as far as I could see down the canyon it was very dirty. I am guessing that the rains may have been last Thursday ??? Inlows to the lake were higher that day than others??? My dog jumped into one of the sludge fields floating in the back of a draw and came out looking black ( she's white LOL) I had to take her around to some more clean muddy water and have her swim a bit to clean her off.

She’s actually a Wirehair, Golden-Doddle, Chocolate-Lab mix. She does the same thing, loves to sit and wait for a fish. Although, she wants to retrieve the fish after its released. Not helpful when your trying to not scare the fish away!

Sounds like you got yourself a bird dog! Mine does the same thing, the only one of my bird dogs over the years that cares about fish...and it can be a bit annoying:)

Here she is pointing a brown trout I just about to let go...She also swims around the boat for hours trying retrieve the sinking striper carcasses!!!
tui brown trout.jpg

it seems White is close to being landlocked.
The appearance at the mouth of White Canyon hasn't changed since November(the last time I walked in from Farley). This tells me that the flow from White Canyon is maintaining the level of White at the river level. The material seen in the photos across the mouth of white are sediment deposits and not rock.

Farley, is not muddy. But those bad rain storm's, washed some of the silt dam out, and Farley's was draining into the Colorado. It had dropped probably 200 ft, from when I was in there on the 18th of March, I went back the 24th, and like Milddog said, it had been a hell of a rain. I was wondering, if I was going to get in or not. But for hiker's, it is very doable. When I left out Monday night 25th, it had been graded. There was still a lot of water running out, when I left, but for hiker's, it wouldnt matter. There was two people there, Dean, and his son Rick Rodgers. Nice to meet you guy's Dean.
If you go into there, be careful, more then likely you will be alone, and if you get stuck, you may have a hard time getting someone to come in there and pull you out, after you walk 4 mile's out of there to the highway.
Have a good one.
KyKevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back