Fall Break Powell Trip Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colby Cook

First time poster, long time follower...

We're headed down to Bullfrog (Oct 17-21) with another family and am wondering what hikes/etc people would recommend. I've been going to Powell every year for the past 20 years and am familiar with it, however we've always gone during June-Sept mainly for the watersports aspect of boating and so I've never been to the lake when the ambient air temps will be in the low 60's to high 40's and the water temp will most likely be in the mid-to-high 60's. We've done all the usual hikes (Forgotten, Smith Fork, Moqui) and have driven up/down Annie's/Lake/Iceburg canyons but I was wondering if anyone had any fun ideas/insights on what else we could do since we'll be staying out of the water for most of the trip due to temperatures.

We will have two families with a total of 7 kids (12, 12, 10, 8, 7, 4, 1). Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

I can't comment on hikes on that end of the lake, but it does get dark very early this time of year, so with that many kids going with you do plan on lots of evening/night indoor activities/movies, etc. that you likely didn't have to worry about on your summer trips (said from experience). Overall a fantastic time of year on the water - and you have the right idea in looking for 'other' non-water activities to fill the days. Have fun!

I didn't even take into account the change in daylight (sunshine hours) in comparison to our normal travel times. We'll definitely have to look into some evening activities. We are staying at the Defiance Lodge (usually houseboat it) so every day will just be a "day-trip" out and back somewhere. I've been to rainbow bridge way too many times, but am considering heading up Escalante (have never been up that canyon).

I'm not a fisherman by any stretch...I'm sure we'll cast a few lines at times just to see what happens but that's where it will end. If we wanted to have a campfire at night, considering we're staying at the lodge, does anyone have any idea on the ability of us hiking down to hobie cat or somewhere and having one or should we just pocket that idea for another trip?

Definitely hit the Escalante as i think that is the best part of the lake. I can explore for days in there. Cathedral in the desert is phenomenal, three tins ruins (are they still closed?) Davis Gulch for LaGorge arch among others.

This time of year I would guess you could drive to the beach and have a camp fire on the shore at the primitive campground just to the east of the park entrance to Bullfrog. X2 on Cathedral in the Desert and Escalante. You could also cruise to Tapestry Wall up by Buoy 110 there are some dino tracks on the underside of a rockfall.

slickrock hike.jpgslickrockimage.jpgThis is an easy slick rock hike with great views south of Annies and across from Slick Rock and Iceberg. The green triangle marks a large stack of rocks on the ridge you can see from the lake. Another fun starting point is the red asterisk where you follow a very wide (100') ledge to the slick rock. If you go this way you pass a side canyon with lots of dinosaur tracks. Both routes are around a mile and a quarter one way. Nearly impossible to get lost, in view of your boat entire hike if you beach at green asterisk

First time poster, long time follower...

We're headed down to Bullfrog (Oct 17-21) with another family and am wondering what hikes/etc people would recommend. I've been going to Powell every year for the past 20 years and am familiar with it, however we've always gone during June-Sept mainly for the watersports aspect of boating and so I've never been to the lake when the ambient air temps will be in the low 60's to high 40's and the water temp will most likely be in the mid-to-high 60's. We've done all the usual hikes (Forgotten, Smith Fork, Moqui) and have driven up/down Annie's/Lake/Iceburg canyons but I was wondering if anyone had any fun ideas/insights on what else we could do since we'll be staying out of the water for most of the trip due to temperatures.

We will have two families with a total of 7 kids (12, 12, 10, 8, 7, 4, 1). Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
Have you looked up some of the hikes to the arches in Halls?

Thank you to everyone who posted. These are EXACTLY the tips/ideas I was hoping to receive. We'll spend a day in the Escalante just exploring the different canyons/etc. I also think that Aleson Arch and that quick hike posted by "Outside" will be awesome and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again for all the ideas!!!

If you can make it up to Willow Creek in the Escalante, there's a nice hike up the canyon with a stream and a small waterfall. The stream is loaded with crawdads--fun for the kids to catch. But don't go up there if it's raining or flash floods are in the forecast.

Tiff

1-DSC06940.JPGIf you want to hang around the Bullfrog area then there are 3 arches on the Waterpocket side of Hall's Creek bay. The northern one is hard to get to and no good views, the middle one is nice (baker ranch arch), but my favorite is the southern one. It's about a mile up from the lake, all slickrock and above it really nice flattish slickrock to explore. Go far enough and you get into the canyons above Lost Eden. There used to me mining up there and you can see a little evidence of it (bulldozer tracks, cans, cuts). The middle arch is probably 1.5 miles from the lake and half is dirt. This is the middle one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back